E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #21
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Seriously, in this situation don't even start your car.

Get it towed to a shop and refill the tranny fluid (use the same fluid in your car and might as well change the filter and clean the pan), and drain about 7 qts of engine oil. Guess you didn't change the oil filter?
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
taskeen21

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
They did tell you how...see post 2 and 3

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

for the tranny refill
thanks mate.......i am trying to figure out what brand of ATF is should buy, and most importantly where is the opening to put this oil.........????
Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #23
catchme46

My Ride: M3 Coupe
I feel bad for you buddy. Hopefully you'll be ok. Do just what everyone else recommended...

1. Fill the tranny back up with ATF.

2. Drain the oil... then fill back up with the proper amount this time!

3. CROSS YOUR FINGERS, start the car, and take it for a short drive.

4. Report back there with the results.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
shj266

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
They did tell you how...see post 2 and 3

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

for the tranny refill

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchme46 View Post
I feel bad for you buddy. Hopefully you'll be ok. Do just what everyone else recommended...

Good luck!

and this

good luck homie!
shj266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #25
rsxstock

My Ride: 2001 325ci
wait, so you have 14 bottles worth of oil in there? is that even possible?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #26
taskeen21

Quote:

Good luck!
will do....thanks a lot....
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #27
taskeen21

Quote:

Good luck!

greatest reason for all this mess was unavailability of proper tools.......but, will try this out.........in fact i am trying to go the traditional way this time.......will call a local tran expert and have him take a look....... for your instructions.......i should've started this thread yesterday.....and i would have had the whole day today to do this......but, i have to wait till next weekend which is unlikely......so, will see.......
will keep you guys posted.......
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #28
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 190k
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskeen21 View Post
greatest reason for all this mess was unavailability of proper tools.......but, will try this out.........in fact i am trying to go the traditional way this time.......will call a local tran expert and have him take a look......
I like how you blame this whole thing on lack of tools but you had a T40 Torx bit which usually isn't even standard in a regular set of torx bits which most people don't have in the first place. The only tools you needed were a 14mm socket for the drain plug which isn't hidden at all, and a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing. Also, a transmission tech can't "see" anything without removing the transmission and taking it apart. Unless you have monies coming out of your ears you should just refill the ATF, drain and refill the oil, and see what happens. Any damage is already done.

Good Luck!

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #29
royceyokono

My Ride: 2005 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolio View Post
I like how you blame this whole thing on lack of tools but you had a T40 Torx bit which usually isn't even standard in a regular set of torx bits which most people don't have in the first place. The only tools you needed were a 14mm socket for the drain plug which isn't hidden at all, and a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing. Also, a transmission tech can't "see" anything without removing the transmission and taking it apart. Unless you have monies coming out of your ears you should just refill the ATF, drain and refill the oil, and see what happens. Any damage is already done.
i agree. its hard to believe that this happened due to lack of tools. unfortunately this is just a big mistake. hopefully it's not a costly one. should have read the diy's before doing this. i'll say this again. get an oil extractor.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #30
mkodama

Why are you even considering fixing this yourself at this point?

TOW THE CAR TO A MECHANIC AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING.

I mean no offense, but if this problem even happened, you will not be able to help your car at this point. If your car was a person, it would be a person that just fell off a cliff onto some sharp rocks and needs to be in an emergency room immediately

Last edited by mkodama; 02-15-2010 at 03:31 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #31
nightrunner20

My Ride: will eat your dust
Send a message via AIM to nightrunner20
at least your engines got plenty of oil now.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #32
flyinj3x

My Ride: 03/03 330ci
Send a message via MSN to flyinj3x Send a message via Yahoo to flyinj3x
i'll give the car three weeks before it completely dies if he tries to fix it himself.. his post prove his competence..

double capacity oil fill, and no tranny fluid for two miles!?! OP, listen to mkodama and have the car serviced by a mechanic. and just so you know,

does not stand for Mechanic, nor does it express past customer approval rating. good luck. after you have the car looked at, check this link, i think you will find it most helpful..

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/newthre...newthread&f=76
flyinj3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #33
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Why are you even considering fixing this yourself at this point?

TOW THE CAR TO A MECHANIC AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING.

I mean no offense, but if this problem even happened, you will not be able to help your car at this point. If your car was a person, it would be a person that just fell off a cliff onto some sharp rocks and needs to be in an emergency room immediately
Bingo! I do not understand why he would even attempt a DIY after seeing the result of his "handywork" already. Take it to someone, because your DIY skills are obviously lacking.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #34
taskeen21

update - car is being towed to the shop

i went to the mechanic this morning.....he is going to tow the car to his shop.......he will call me in an hour he said........fingers crossed........thanks for the posts guys......will update when i hear from the tech......
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #35
taskeen21

Thumbs Up good news!!!

hello everybody....wanted to share the good news....car is OK ....tech said he filled the tranny.....and drained the engine oil......and refilled it with new one.....i drove it.....felt a little hard than before.......i think thatz coz of the trauma......i will need to get over it.....heart would be pounding everytime i start the engine though....oh yea, the tech also said if i feel jerks or something unsual in the performance i should have the entire car "tuned".......you guys have any inputs on this?
once again....thanks for all the speedy replies, tips and suggestions.....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #36
catso

My Ride: 2000 323i 1988 528e
Change the plugs. Correction, have someone change the plugs.
catso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #37
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskeen21 View Post
hello everybody....wanted to share the good news....car is OK ....tech said he filled the tranny.....and drained the engine oil......and refilled it with new one.....i drove it.....felt a little hard than before.......i think thatz coz of the trauma......i will need to get over it.....heart would be pounding everytime i start the engine though....oh yea, the tech also said if i feel jerks or something unsual in the performance i should have the entire car "tuned".......you guys have any inputs on this?
once again....thanks for all the speedy replies, tips and suggestions.....
Wow, good to hear. You sound like you're very lucky.

Ask your mechanic what he means by "tuned". Likely it means new spark plugs, air filter, and maybe fuel filter. Useful only if it's been a while since these maintenance items have been serviced.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #38
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:

Ask your mechanic what he means by "tuned". Likely it means new spark plugs, air filter, and maybe fuel filter. Useful only if it's been a while since these maintenance items have been serviced.
Although these are easily DIY'able for most people, for the OP I would HIGHLY suggest he take back to his indy and let him do them for him.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #39
taskeen21

Quote:

yes, i was very lucky.....tech said, the car that needs quarts of trans fluid, i ran it with one cup of fluid in it.....LOL......God is great!
i dont know what he meant by tuning....i thought you would know.....anyways, i have already changed the plugs and air filter......did them myself.....got the belts changed from the tech when the car was there yesterday......will be doing the fuel filter this weekend or next......
what i am concerned now is, the car doesnt feel as smooth as before...i mean, earlier, at stop slights i used to be the first one to zoom when light turns green......now, it sort of takes a second or two to move when i accelerate (that is when the vehicle has been at complete stop).....while running i dont feel that much of a change.......not sure what that is for......any ideas???
Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #40
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
i would actually drive a few hundred miles and have the tranny drained and refilled again just to be on the safe side and make sure there isnt metal floating around in it, but thats me.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote