E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
Diamond Audio Midbass

I installed a pair of Diamond Audio s600s in the front doors of my sedan this weekend. They sound amazing in the high end but it does seem like they're a little weak in the middle range. I thought maybe it was just my ears adjusting after being used to the muddy stock system or getting used to the higher end tweeters but now I'm not so sure.

I'm using an Alpine f540 to feed them 80 watts rms. I can bridge it to put out 200watts but that exceeds the 170 watts max on the Diamonds. What would the chances of blowing them be? Even half volume on the HU is pretty damn loud so I don't think I'd ever be going too far beyond that. Does your volume setting have anything to do with how many watts are going to the speaker?

I have the amp set to put out full range figuring the crossovers that came with the speakers will take care of that department. Is that an accurate assumption?

I already have the -2db switch activated on the crossovers.

Any help/answers are greatly appreciated.
zameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
Ron@Streeteffectz

What are they installed in? The factory door locations? Are they sealed in?
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:31 PM   #3
zameus

Yes, they're in the factory locations. They're in there tight but I didn't do anything to seal them. What do you recommend? If possible, I'd like to be able to remove them in a few years when I sell the car- but not at the expense of not having them sound their best.
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
zameus

I wonder if some of that sound deadening foam needs to be removed to allow for more air behind the speaker. I read somewhere that a midbass speaker won't sound right if there's not a large enough air pocket behind it.

Can anyone comment on what they've done?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
I can get some decent mids after I re-set my gains.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:44 PM   #6
zameus

Yeah, I'm not saying the midbass is completely horrible, just that it's not impressing me as much as the tweeters.

I've done some searching on other forums and it seems that you need more air space behind a midbass speaker than what our doors give you. I'm going to try removing the sounddeadening behind the speaker and see what that gets me.

We probably would have been better off with the 5 1/4" midbasses but I don't care if taking out a little sound foam does the trick. It'll be worth it to have the 6 1/2"s.

Can't anyone else with the 6 1/2" diamonds comment on their install? Has anyone removed some foam to give them a deeper pocket?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:49 PM   #7
Delirium
yo mama

I have one speaker with the foam & without the foam & it didnt make a diff. for me. The thing is that even if you put the foam on, it is not taking up room around the speaker. I put my foam on so that the magnet goes thru the hole in the foam.. so the foam is not actually behind the speaker, but just around it.

Quote:
Originally posted by zameus
Yeah, I'm not saying the midbass is completely horrible, just that it's not impressing me as much as the tweeters.

I've done some searching on other forums and it seems that you need more air space behind a midbass speaker than what our doors give you. I'm going to try removing the sounddeadening behind the speaker and see what that gets me.

We probably would have been better off with the 5 1/4" midbasses but I don't care if taking out a little sound foam does the trick. It'll be worth it to have the 6 1/2"s.

Can't anyone else with the 6 1/2" diamonds comment on their install? Has anyone removed some foam to give them a deeper pocket?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
zameus

OK, my memory sucks because when I got home I opened up the doors again and there was no foam where the speakers are. The back of the speaker abuts sheet metal. Maybe cutting a vent hole in it would increase midbass? Sort of like a ported enclosure but different?

Does anyone have these in a sedan other than the 2 of us? Can anyone comment on my idea to cut the hole and vent them?

Where are all those folks who were raving about Diamond Audio? Do you all drive sedans with deeper door speaker recesses and therefore didn't run into this?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:56 PM   #9
Delirium
yo mama

I think lots of them drive coupes which have deeper doors. Or they cut the door to create a deeper space.

Quote:
Originally posted by zameus
OK, my memory sucks because when I got home I opened up the doors again and there was no foam where the speakers are. The back of the speaker abuts sheet metal. Maybe cutting a vent hole in it would increase midbass? Sort of like a ported enclosure but different?

Does anyone have these in a sedan other than the 2 of us? Can anyone comment on my idea to cut the hole and vent them?

Where are all those folks who were raving about Diamond Audio? Do you all drive sedans with deeper door speaker recesses and therefore didn't run into this?
Old 04-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #10
zameus

They needed to break in.

Okay, I think they just needed some break in time.

I decided to screw around a bit with my setup this morning. So I unplugged the rear fill and the sub (both of which I thought were filling in for the fronts). Then I started listening and behold, they are kicking pretty good now. There was a total lack of midbass when I first put them in. Well now they sound really good.

The tweets are still very prominent but you can feel the bass hitting your legs and they sound much fuller. I might try hooking the tweeters directly to the amp and setting a high pass crossover at the amp. Then I can back off the gain a tad to where I like them. The amp will give me more control than the crossover that came with the speakers which only allows for a -2db attenuation.

I might be nuts but I think they sound really great and I'm a very happy boy.