E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
fisher_330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
AFE CAT Back style exhaust?

I need some opinions/theory/experience with exhaust. I would like to change up my stock exhaust with something custom. I am looking for a sound similar to the AFE CAT Back system for the 135i. This system sounds amazing. I would love for my car to sound this good.

Has anyone tried an exhaust setup like this on an e46? Essentially it is just a muffler delete with a resonance tube. I don't completely understand exhaust and sound setup, but I do know that the more free flowing the better. The only part I can't duplicate is the turbo setup on the 135i. Canceling out certain sound waves would allow for a different tune. But ,with this more or less straight through design, will this "resonance tube" make any difference.

I really like the sound the 135i has. It is perfect for me. The only thing keeping me from doing this is just the fact that once I start cutting there is no going back in my mind. Being uncertain of the sound results I am hesitant to go ahead with the setup... but I am tired of the stock setup. SO, any ideas/suggestions?

As far as just doing a muffler delete, I would, but I don't want the backfire sound or the extreme rasp. A little rasp is good, but not a ton. I would be keeping both res' and CATs on my car.

What do you guys think?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
yes, if you do a search, there are plenty of guys who have deleted their rear muffler, but kept the middle resonator. Design-wise that's essentially the same thing. As you've mentioned, it's not a direct comparison, sound wise, when you factor in the sound of a turbo setup.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
fisher_330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
yes, if you do a search, there are plenty of guys who have deleted their rear muffler, but kept the middle resonator. Design-wise that's essentially the same thing. As you've mentioned, it's not a direct comparison, sound wise, when you factor in the sound of a turbo setup.
Right, but the resonance tube is my main wonder. Depending on what kind of exhaust system you have depends on the sound... obviously... but what I mean is... Say you have a exhaust setup that allows a "free flow" design but there are reflective bends that cancel out certain sound waves... or rasp/rattle. Will this resonance tube act in a manner that will give the exhaust a deeper tone with less rasp/rattle?... will it cancel out the annoying (to some) sound waves?

Maybe I just think too much.... ha

*edit: Trust me... I have searched and searched.... thats why I posted. At a loss.... Thanks though.

Last edited by fisher_330ci; 02-17-2010 at 01:11 PM.
fisher_330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher_330ci View Post
Right, but the resonance tube is my main wonder. Depending on what kind of exhaust system you have depends on the sound... obviously... but what I mean is... Say you have a exhaust setup that allows a "free flow" design but there are reflective bends that cancel out certain sound waves... or rasp/rattle. Will this resonance tube act in a manner that will give the exhaust a deeper tone with less rasp/rattle?... will it cancel out the annoying (to some) sound waves?

Maybe I just think too much.... ha
In short, yes, the resonator is more responsible to reduce rasp (resonance). Mufflers primarily lower the overall volume.

Since the muscle car guys are deep in knowledge about how to deal with loud exhausts, here's some insight that might help:

"A resonator uses a tuned cavity to actually actively cancel out sound. It creates a band-pass filter that eliminates problem frequencies - so they tune it for a specific loud spot in engine operation. It targets only a small range of frequencies.

A muffler is usually a series of expansions that take energy from the gas flow to decrease sound. Sometimes they have resonating chambers built in, but typically they operate on a purely expansive vane - expanding a gas so many times into such a volume muffles certain frequencies.

Basically, in the real world, with a resonator you'll be able to quiet specific exhaust notes - usually targeted to a cruise RPM to cancel that frequency, but you'll still have a lot of harshness from the high frequencies the resonator passes, which a muffler will cut out.

The good thing with resonators is that they usually have zero flow restriction, so adding them to quiet an existing setup will cost no power.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
fisher_330ci

Just got back from the exhaust shop and I have an appointment to get this exhaust setup done to my car next Wednesday.

My dual staggered angle cut tip finally came in and it should look really nice...

I will post up a video as soon as I get my TMS Sway bars on and the summer wheels and tires. Hopefully next weekend... ish.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
fisher_330ci

I've had this exhaust on the car since March. I love it. Sounds really, really good. Better in person than with a crappy still shot camera with a "video" function, but you'll get the idea. Been lazy and haven't posted video's. Finally got around to it today.

What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	361951

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust 004.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	361952

Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
nice. that'd be cool if you play with teh length of that tunning pipe to see if you could get different tones.