E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
DIY Painting Your Car in your Kitchen

No im not painting the car in my kitchen so no i will not get pictures.Now that your all in this thread though lets make it worthful...

Ill cut to the chase, ive decided WITH SOME sort of backround knowledge that im going to get into automotive painting if for nothing else to make some money and paint stuff for free.

So my questions are as follows

My parts list
Air compressor - OWNED
Air hoses
Inline Air filter
Air Pressure Regulator
Base Coat Paint Guns
Primer Gun
Clear Coat Spray Gun
Prep Equip

From there you just need the paints, clears, etc. And of course all your wonderful prep equipment like sand paper and what not.

Not sure if you need 3 different guns. Or why. Dont understand the sizes of the gun nozzles and what they affect or any of that. Barely know how the thing works but its coming along nicely.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
IB RearWheelin

My Ride: Rental...for now.
i painted cars back in the day...you NEED to make sure you buy HVLP guns. High velocity low pressure. they spray much much better than regular spray guns. You need different size nozzles because some people like to spray metal flakes into their paint. if you're using the wrong size nozzle the metal flakes will clog the gun. clear coat has to be sprayed out of a different nozzle too, don't spray clear out of a nozzle where you spray color.
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
hvirani

My Ride: e46 320i
Fail.
hvirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ib rearwheelin View Post
i painted cars back in the day...you need to make sure you buy hvlp guns. High velocity low pressure. They spray much much better than regular spray guns. You need different size nozzles because some people like to spray metal flakes into their paint. If you're using the wrong size nozzle the metal flakes will clog the gun. Clear coat has to be sprayed out of a different nozzle too, don't spray clear out of a nozzle where you spray color.
++1
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB RearWheelin View Post
i painted cars back in the day...you NEED to make sure you buy HVLP guns. High velocity low pressure. they spray much much better than regular spray guns. You need different size nozzles because some people like to spray metal flakes into their paint. if you're using the wrong size nozzle the metal flakes will clog the gun. clear coat has to be sprayed out of a different nozzle too, don't spray clear out of a nozzle where you spray color.
Thanks for the tips. I was gunna go HVLP already but didn;t know the rest of it.

As for paint in terms of quality where do I start? Im not sure how to shop for it yet. Internet and in person. And i haven't found the internet source yet but from other member suggestion ive heard automotive stores will mix paint to any color you want.

How can I trust these guys to get the perfect match? Also is store bought paint air dry? Cause i dont have a car oven or an electromagnetic dumping swimming pool filled with paint.

Lastly what can i expect as far as quality from aftermarket paint. Is it like driving in the sense that the driver makes the car. Plus good care of it will make it last indefinately. All i know is my freshly week old perfect front end. looked like ass from 15 feet. FIFTEEN REAL FEET not two feet and they blend from 15 my front bumper was pebbled with 1 to half inch wide store chips from doing 5 minutes at 135. Bullshit I tell you.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
IB RearWheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
Thanks for the tips. I was gunna go HVLP already but didn;t know the rest of it.

As for paint in terms of quality where do I start? Im not sure how to shop for it yet. Internet and in person. And i haven't found the internet source yet but from other member suggestion ive heard automotive stores will mix paint to any color you want.

How can I trust these guys to get the perfect match? Also is store bought paint air dry? Cause i dont have a car oven or an electromagnetic dumping swimming pool filled with paint.

Lastly what can i expect as far as quality from aftermarket paint. Is it like driving in the sense that the driver makes the car. Plus good care of it will make it last indefinately. All i know is my freshly week old perfect front end. looked like ass from 15 feet. FIFTEEN REAL FEET not two feet and they blend from 15 my front bumper was pebbled with 1 to half inch wide store chips from doing 5 minutes at 135. Bullshit I tell you.
well it depends on what kind of quality do you want your paint to be and how much do you want to spend.

House Of Kolor (the top diggity dog if you want VERY good wet looking paint)
Dupont..(good stuff too)
Emperol (fair)
Starfire (fair)

Very important to decide if you want to either paint in a single stage or 2 stage. Being that you are freshly starting out, I would personally say start with a single stage but it's your choice.

Single stage painting is cheaper...you only spray a base coat onto the project and it will be glossy already but thats all.

2stage on the other hand is for experienced sprayers. You spray a base coat, then turn around and spray your effects such as sparkles, or metallic flakes. You finish off the job with a clear coat...(this is the best part about 2 stage). You can spray as many coats of clear as you want...which will only make the paint appear WETTER and WETTER (glossier). Candy paint is the proper term used in the paint industry.

Yes paint is air dry...you will need to mix this paint with reducer, and hardener. If you don't your paint will come out completely wrong. You have to mix paint especially because you can't spray thick paint straight from a can out of a gun.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
Do a ton of research. I started learning to do bodywork and working in my uncle's body shop when I was eight years old. Some important questions for you...

What are the stats on your air compressor?
What brand of gun are you planning to buy? (these days any decent gun is going to be HVLP, I suggest a higher end Devilbiss or Iwata gun, but we are talking easily upwards of $300)
Do you have somebody to guide you or learn from?

Some comments...

Your compressor and gun choice will be very important.
There are VERY few single stage paints these days.
House of Kolor is owned by Valspar.
PPG has some good lines of affordable paints.
Paints in general are going to have numerous lines of varying quality under one brand.
Two stage paints aren't kandy colors as described previously here, multi stage paints are what was being described.
Two stage paints are a base coat and a clear coat.
Kandy's are typically when a metallic base coat is layed down first, and a transparent top coat is layed down second, achieving a deep, rich color. The final stage is a clear coat.
These days, most pearls are mixed into the paint. It is unusual, even in custom jobs, to see a flake coat or a pearl coat.
While some paints are made specifically to flash faster when aided by heat, paints will cure without it, it just takes a couple of weeks to outgas.
Getting a perfect color match can be tricky. Certain company's formulas to match factory colors can have three or more different formulas...Prime, darker than prime, and lighter than prime, and those don't necessarily ensure a correct match.
Typically, the more white in the mix, the harder it will be to match after years of exposure. (colors like white and silver, etc.)
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
IB RearWheelin

i run with binks spray guns...sprays like a champ.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
Quote:
i run with binks spray guns...sprays like a champ.
I used to use a binks...loved it, they just aren't quite as common as they used to be, which is unfortunate. Iwatas are AWESOME, but they are huge money.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
IB RearWheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Orient3 View Post
I used to use a binks...loved it, they just aren't quite as common as they used to be, which is unfortunate. Iwatas are AWESOME, but they are huge money.
+

my wife ran over my iwata with her car, i had it in a special case with some other things but she pulled into the garage while my things were on the floor and crushed them.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
well it depends on what kind of quality do you want your paint to be and how much do you want to spend.

House Of Kolor (the top diggity dog if you want VERY good wet looking paint)
Dupont..(good stuff too)
Emperol (fair)
Starfire (fair)

Very important to decide if you want to either paint in a single stage or 2 stage. Being that you are freshly starting out, I would personally say start with a single stage but it's your choice.

Single stage painting is cheaper...you only spray a base coat onto the project and it will be glossy already but thats all.

2stage on the other hand is for experienced sprayers. You spray a base coat, then turn around and spray your effects such as sparkles, or metallic flakes. You finish off the job with a clear coat...(this is the best part about 2 stage). You can spray as many coats of clear as you want...which will only make the paint appear WETTER and WETTER (glossier). Candy paint is the proper term used in the paint industry.

Yes paint is air dry...you will need to mix this paint with reducer, and hardener. If you don't your paint will come out completely wrong. You have to mix paint especially because you can't spray thick paint straight from a can out of a gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Orient3 View Post
Do a ton of research. I started learning to do bodywork and working in my uncle's body shop when I was eight years old. Some important questions for you...

What are the stats on your air compressor?
What brand of gun are you planning to buy? (these days any decent gun is going to be HVLP, I suggest a higher end Devilbiss or Iwata gun, but we are talking easily upwards of $300)
Do you have somebody to guide you or learn from?

Some comments...

Your compressor and gun choice will be very important.
There are VERY few single stage paints these days.
House of Kolor is owned by Valspar.
PPG has some good lines of affordable paints.
Paints in general are going to have numerous lines of varying quality under one brand.
Two stage paints aren't kandy colors as described previously here, multi stage paints are what was being described.
Two stage paints are a base coat and a clear coat.
Kandy's are typically when a metallic base coat is layed down first, and a transparent top coat is layed down second, achieving a deep, rich color. The final stage is a clear coat.
These days, most pearls are mixed into the paint. It is unusual, even in custom jobs, to see a flake coat or a pearl coat.
While some paints are made specifically to flash faster when aided by heat, paints will cure without it, it just takes a couple of weeks to outgas.
Getting a perfect color match can be tricky. Certain company's formulas to match factory colors can have three or more different formulas...Prime, darker than prime, and lighter than prime, and those don't necessarily ensure a correct match.
Typically, the more white in the mix, the harder it will be to match after years of exposure. (colors like white and silver, etc.)
Yeah man I plan on ordering from eastwood and was looking at the devillbus (sp) line up.

I may possibly be aquiring another e36 in green (yuck!!!!!!) and an e30 within a couple weeks. So im going to have 3 cars which is alot of practice work.

I gotta run so i cant really respond to anything else that was said but thanks.