E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
ihateyoubenz

My Ride: e46 in the futurelol
INTAKE question

what hp would i get out of a intake for my 2002 330i ... and if any1 has any links to some that are good let me know thanks
ihateyoubenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
dc888

My Ride: 325ic
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateyoubenz View Post
what hp would i get out of a intake for my 2002 330i ... and if any1 has any links to some that are good let me know thanks
I have been doing a lot of asking around for the same question. In summary: nominal power gains-get a K&N filter (that is cheaper and will help the car breathe better). But the intake will sound better (subjective).

Do not get it for the sake of more power but rather for the cool sound it makes!
dc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Of course, I don't agree. See the dyno thread in my signature.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
You can expect about 5-8hp out of just an intake upgrade but if you couple it with software, pulleys and an exhaust- then the performance is very worthwhile.

I suggest looking at the aFe setup which is a full replacement intake with aluminum heatshield and an oiled or dry filter.

aFe Intake for the M54 3.0L
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
///Mine

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
You can expect about 5-8hp out of just an intake upgrade but if you couple it with software, pulleys and an exhaust- then the performance is very worthwhile.

I suggest looking at the aFe setup which is a full replacement intake with aluminum heatshield and an oiled or dry filter.

aFe Intake for the M54 3.0L
aFe from jlevi ftw. i'd go with the dry filter though, oiled filters will mess up your MAF.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mine View Post
aFe from jlevi ftw. i'd go with the dry filter though, oiled filters will mess up your MAF.
Thanks for the support Just wanted to clear this up though, the oiled filters do not effect the MAF sensor. They do require that you reoil when cleaning which is an extra step in the maintenance process- one advantage to the dry. However, oil offers maximum flow and performance.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
ihateyoubenz

My Ride: e46 in the futurelol
how do you reoil it?
ihateyoubenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

aFe intakes come with a reoil kit that has the extra oil and maintenance instructions. Here is the break down:

aFe Filter Cleaning Instructions
PPREPARING

Gently tap the filter element to remove excess embedded dirt. Gently brush the remaining excess dirt from the element with a soft brush.

SOAKING
Using aFe Qwik-Clean cleaner, spray the element thoroughly soaking the cotton media. Let it soak for approximately 10 minutes. Another method for soaking large elements or in situations where many elements are cleaned regularly, quart and gallon bottles of cleaner are available to use for shallow pan soaking. Put an inch or more of cleaner in the pan and roll the filter in the pan thoroughly soaking the element. Again let it soak for approximately 10 minutes.

RINSING OFF
Using low pressure from a tap or a hose run water from the clean side to the dirty side. Continue running the water through the element until the water comes through clear. * DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE or a nozzle that sprays a sharp stream. A sharp spray of water can separate the filter media thus ruining the filter.

DRYING
It is best to let the filter dry naturally. It is OK to lay the filter in front of a fan to speed drying. Do not do the following: *DO NOT use high heat such as a hair dryer. aFe filters are cotton and can shrink under high heat.
*DO NOT use compressed air as it can separate the media making an unseen hole for dirt to pass through. *DO NOT use open flame.

OILING
Use aFe special formula air filter oil to re-oil the filter media as follows: *Squeeze bottle oiling - apply oil to each pleat on one side of the filter leaving approximately 1/2” to 3/4” from each side un-oiled. Make only one pass per pleat. Within 20 minutes the oil will wick through the media turning the media to a yellow/gold appearance. If any white areas remain, add a drop to those areas.
*NEVER use an aFe filter without oil. The oil is required to capture the finer dirt particles. *DO NOT over oil the filter media as it not only wastes oil, it can potentially cause damage to sensors in the air intake stream. *NEVER use motor oil, transmission fluid, diesel fuel, WD 40, etc. in place of aFe oil.

STOP! WARNING LABEL
Be sure to install your red “Stop!” label at a very visible place on the filter housing so a maintenance person will not accidentally discard your aFe lifetime filter.

SERVICE TIPS
* Normal highway driving should give 30,000 to 50,000 plus miles
between cleaning of an aFe filter. However, in the time period that you E would have replaced 3 paper filters you should inspect your aFe filter
to determine if it needs cleaning (example if you live in an extremely high dust area and replaced your paper filter every 3,000 miles, you should examine your aFe filter every 9,000 miles). *DO NOT over clean the filter. If you can see the screen mesh the filter is still flowing adequately. For optimal engine performance the filter should be cleaned at 10” of restriction. Do not exceed 16” of restriction.
*If your driving mileage is low and the filter is not ready for cleaning, examine the filter once per year for adequate oil. If necessary, lightly add aFe filter oil to the clean side of the filter. *Sunlight deteriorates the oil. If the filter is exposed to sunlight it will be necessary to re-oil the filter periodically.
Filter comes pre-oiled from factory.