E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
LKNGOOD

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i
2007 335i sedan/manual or 2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x2

I think it's time to trade in my baby - she's at 133,333 miles and there's a few items that will need to be change within the next 6 months:

1) Water Pump and Thermostat (Yes - it's still the original one in the car)
2) Rear Brakes
3) New Tires (Front and Rear)
4) Struts and shock (Within the next 12 months)

I've had her for 5 years now and it's time to walk away. (Bought her in Feb of 2005 with 51,000 miles, extended service and maintenance warranty until 100K for $25K.

Here's my two option:

1) 2007 BMW 335i Sedan (6-speed manual) with 63K miles for $24K
(Loaded with navigation and ect....)

2) 2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with 0 miles. ($3K cash back + $1K loyal toyota owner rebate = $4K off. MSRP is $32K - $4K - another $4K negociation = $24K

The only reason I'm thinking about a Tundra is that I plan on hunting this year (1st year hunting) and a Bimmer will not cut it.

But for some reason - I can't see myself driving anything other then a BMW. If I get the Bimmer, I can always use my wife's 2005 4Runner to go hunting but that mean she will be driving my bimmer - gulp!!

If I get a Tundra - the maintenance and reliabilty factor is a lot lot lot better and cheaper.

Even though I can do a lot of the maintenance on the Bimmer myself - I will definitely get an extended 6year/100,000 miles warranty.

The problem is that if I get the 2007 335i, I will hit 100K within the next 3 years and do not want to drive a BMW with no warranty (That's what I'm doing now and everyday is a gamble - even though pretty much everything was replace or serviced before I hit the 100,000 milestone.

Basically if I get a Tundra - I will sacrifice the Ultimate Driving Machine feeling for something easier on the wallet and more reliable.

Last week I was 99% sure to get a Tundra but now that the final decision is only a week away - I'm having second thoughts. I think I'll miss not driving a BMW too much to enjoy driving a Tundra.

I know in the end it's still my choice but just wanted to here everyone else thoughts.

Thanks,

* 2007 BMW 335i - 6sp/manual

Last edited by LKNGOOD; 02-21-2010 at 07:43 AM.
LKNGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Zeekster64

My Ride: 2004 325i premium
I wouldn't get a vehicle specific to a new hobby you decided to try out for the first time.(What if you hate hunting? ) Having said that, axe the Tundra and if you crave more reliability get yourself a nice Lexus IS350 or Infiniti G35. You will sacrifice being known as the cool guy with the BMW by driving around in a souless Japanese robot machine but it might be worth it to save money down the road and have peace of mind
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
I'd get a little less of a Bimmer and a cheap beater truck.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Grovedale

My Ride: an E46
How many time a year are you going to go hunting? I don't understand why you would buy a truck, to use it to go hunting what 5 or ten days a year. What do you want to drive the other 350 days a year? Buy the BMW, and if your afraid of your wife driving it rent a truck to go hunting.

Last edited by Grovedale; 02-20-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Grovedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekster64 View Post
I wouldn't get a vehicle specific to a new hobby you decided to try out for the first time.(What if you hate hunting? ) Having said that, axe the Tundra and if you crave more reliability get yourself a nice Lexus IS350 or Infiniti G35. You will sacrifice being known as the cool guy with the BMW by driving around in a souless Japanese robot machine
I think that says it all - I talked to a buddy of mine who I use to work with 4 years ago and the first thing he said was "You still driving that BMW? That car is awesome!!"

Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovedale View Post
How many time a year are you going to go hunting? I don't understand why you woul buy a truck, to use it to go hunting what 5 or ten days a year. What do you want to drove the other 350 days a year?
Well - I got a year lease so pretty much every weekend (Hog is all year round) and the other times is to bate the deers before open season comes.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Zeekster64

How about a 2007 328xi Touring? You will get all wheel traction and the added space for yer gun'n'ammo. I think it's a good compromise. AND it's a BMW and should be better in terms of reliability as quality has improved since the E46 (please, feel free to argue me if you disagree).
Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Zeekster64

PS. Isn't it bad enough you're planning on killing innocent lil piggies and deer? Do you have to have to invade their habitat with a 3 ton truck as well?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
BMW. unless you are going to use that truck for more then a few hunting trips. I would say buy the BMW, maybe shop for a bit to get a better deal, and put the extra cash into a beater truck. plenty of those floatingaround.

buddy of mine recently picked up a F250 with a v10 gas engine for like 2200 bucks. farm truck. did some basic maintenance and now it runs great. crazy engine too.....
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
LKNGOOD

Quote:
How about a 2007 328xi Touring? You will get all wheel traction and the added space for yer gun'n'ammo. I think it's a good compromise. AND it's a BMW and should be better in terms of reliability as quality has improved since the E46 (please, feel free to argue me if you disagree).
Yes - I thought about a 328i but I will also be thinking in the back of my mind - should have bought a 335i - LOL.

I've been saying - man I wished I bought a manual for 5 years now with my current 330i.

If i'm going to get a BMW - it's going to be a 335i - Sedan - manual - no questions about it.

If not it's going to be the Tundra Crewmax 5.7L - don't get me wrong - I've always like this truck and would not have any compaint driving it other then wishing I still had my Bimmer. But sometimes you have to sacrifice - can't get the cake and eat it too - well at least not all of the time

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
This thread conjured up images of someone stuffing a dead deer into the trunk of their 335i. Get the Bimmer, or less of a Bimmer and a used pickup. You'll be blown away by the speed and gas mileage of the 335i, plus the manual transmission lets you reek havoc with those turbos. And besides, when you pass a 2011 335i, you can brag about having 2x as many turbos!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Zeekster64

I agree with the guys on here, get a lesser BMW and a beater truck. Instead of the 335i, get the 06 330i w/sport package. The difference in price between that and the 335i will get you into a beater truck.

The Tundra is a nice truck and you will baby it like any other vehicle so get something that will do the job and you won't feel guilty about hauling carcass in.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Why are you buying a brand new truck to take into the woods and get all scratched and beat up (it will happen) and then stand there cussing about it and not enjoying your hunting trip? That's like buying a brand new M3 just to make it a track car. Buy the bimmer and enjoy it 5 days of the week. And pick up a 90s bronco for a couple grand and laugh when you beat the sh!t out of it every weekend.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
shj266

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
I agree with the guys on here, get a lesser BMW and a beater truck. Instead of the 335i, get the 06 330i w/sport package. The difference in price between that and the 335i will get you into a beater truck.

The Tundra is a nice truck and you will baby it like any other vehicle so get something that will do the job and you won't feel guilty about hauling carcass in.
But if he gets the 06 330, which is still a good car, he'll likely run out of warranty before, or atleast within three years ... the same as with the 335 that he is looking at. However, it'll be less expensive though.

Just my two cents for that particular situation. I'm in a similar predicament, as I'm looking at getting rid of the 04 ZHP and don't have the slightest clue about what I'll be getting into next.

OP, GL to you kind sir!

shj266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
hmmmm thinking hard...the bimmer

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
A BMW and a Tundra are polar opposites of each other. I have an 08 Tundra SR5 Crew Cab as a work truck, and it is no fun to drive at all. It drives a little better than a Silverado or F150, but at the end of the day I'm always glad to get back into CAN DRIVE WELL.

But if you're serious about this choice, just go with the truck. It just doesn't sound like you appreciate the BMW and would probably just be annoyed with it.

I drive a Tundra almost every day, and while the V8 and view ahead is nice (visibility out the sides and rear are HORRIBLE!!!!!), I just don't get why anyone would buy one as a daily driver. I get about 7 mpg forchrissakes.

And I don't know much about hunting in TX, but hunting up here is a good way to trash your truck. Most people buy a beater specifically for that purpose as frequent trips into the forest, hauling carcasses, etc destroy the paint and interior pretty fast.

Last edited by antonmn; 02-20-2010 at 10:37 PM.
antonmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
Why are you buying a brand new truck to take into the woods and get all scratched and beat up (it will happen) and then stand there cussing about it and not enjoying your hunting trip? That's like buying a brand new M3 just to make it a track car. Buy the bimmer and enjoy it 5 days of the week. And pick up a 90s bronco for a couple grand and laugh when you beat the sh!t out of it every weekend.
Because they are pretty much giving away the Tundra Crewmax 5.7L at cost. (14 - 18 mpg on regular gas - 87 octane). Plus I may get a boat next year.

$24K for a $32K Truck - Brand New and it's a Toyota.

Yes it's a sacrifice but sometimes you can't be to selfish.

I do like the idea of getting a beater truck. I'm not in a hurry to get a 335i as I am with the Tundra since the incentives/rebate expires on 03/01/10.

If I go with the 335i - I can spend the next month looking. FYI: there's not that many 335i Sedan with a manual out there - automatics are a dime a dozen.

Another downfall with getting another BMW is all the mods (Carbon Fiber Lip, rear lip spoiler, CAI, Exhaust, ect...) What - you can't buy a Bimmer and not mod it. That the $1-2K that I could use to buy a beater truck

Last edited by LKNGOOD; 02-20-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
KingJames

My Ride: 04 330ci
brand new car with 0 miles or a 3 year old car for the exact price? The tundra is very reliable and can come in handy...i say go with the tundra!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Hmm could you possibly buy the truck and then immediately resell for say 26-27k since you are getting such a good deal? Then you could buy the bimmer and a beater. Lots of hassle but maybe worth it

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #20
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
14-18 mpg is a fantasy. In the real world you'll get 7 to 12, maaaaybe 14 on a 60 mph road trip.