E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #21
LKNGOOD

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonmn View Post
14-18 mpg is a fantasy. In the real world you'll get 7 to 12, maaaaybe 14 on a 60 mph road trip.
Do you know this for a fact?

The reason I ask is I have two co-workers with a 2010 Tundra Crewmax and they both get on average 16-17 mpg. This is with 70% highway and 30% city driving in Dallas TX where snow is not a factor.

* 2007 BMW 335i - 6sp/manual
LKNGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #22
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNGOOD View Post
Do you know this for a fact?

The reason I ask is I have two co-workers with a 2010 Tundra Crewmax and they both get on average 16-17 mpg. This is with 70% highway and 30% city driving in Dallas TX where snow is not a factor.
I hear ya on that, my dad's 2005 Navigator get 15 on 70% city...I'm sure the tundra would do better
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #23
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
why not keep the 330, maintenance is not that much especially getting parts from tischer, i have a stealer mechanic charging 50% of what the dealer charge. where are you in texas? keep your 330 and buy a tundra.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #24
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
why not keep the 330, maintenance is not that much especially getting parts from tischer, i have a stealer mechanic charging 50% of what the dealer charge. where are you in texas? keep your 330 and buy a tundra.
I thought about keeping it but sometimes you need to cut your lost before you put more $ into something then it's worth as a trade in.

I was quoted $10K take in last year and now it's down to $8K.

If I keep it it's going to cost me roughly $3k for all the maintenance stuff. Yes after that - the car should be good for until 200K BUT what about the tranny?

I don't want to keep the car and then the tranny goes - that's $4K.

I really want a 335i but don't really want to get one with 63K already.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #25
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
A tundra? REALLY? Get a real truck like a Dodge or Chevy hell even a Ford. I hate fords but they are better then a damn tundra. You would be lucky if the frame on your tundra didnt rust out on the highway and fall apart ge a 3/4 tonne diesel and be done. or the 335i and stuff the deer in there. But in the same sense you may not be very good at hunting, may not like it. and you dont have alot of time to go. This is what i would do. Save up a little more money and buy an old 12 valve Dodge diesel for the hunting and buy the BMW

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #26
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
A tundra? REALLY? Get a real truck like a Dodge or Chevy hell even a Ford. I hate fords but they are better then a damn tundra. You would be lucky if the frame on your tundra didnt rust out on the highway and fall apart ge a 3/4 tonne diesel and be done. or the 335i and stuff the deer in there. But in the same sense you may not be very good at hunting, may not like it. and you dont have alot of time to go. This is what i would do. Save up a little more money and buy an old 12 valve Dodge diesel for the hunting and buy the BMW
The only problem with that is - with all the $ i'll save in the next 6 months will have to all go to the 330i to get maintenance done on it. If I went that rought - it pretty stupid trade it in because i'm not going to get any extra for it and giving with no warranty on a transmission that sucks is not my idea of playing it safe.

I'm still torn between the two. Hopefully I can find a 07 335i Sedan/Manual with about 25,000 miles for about $25K

Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #27
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Doesnt matter by the make of the car, just get something that YOU need. How about an 06 X5 w/ x-drive?
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #28
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
Doesnt matter by the make of the car, just get something that YOU need. How about an 06 X5 w/ x-drive?
Well the only BMW I really want is a 335i Sedan - Manual. (It's an all or nothing deal for me).

The only reason I hesitant is the high mileage and reliabilty of the BMW for the $25K spent.

If I had $35K to spend then the 335i will win hands down, But I don't want to spend $25K and have to worry about all the issues with it.

Don't get me wrong I love my 330i especially since I have extended warranty for 6 years/100,000 miles.

I paid $2K for the warranty and had over $11K of repairs done all under warranty with $0 out of pocket. (I know if I went to a indy shop the price may be closer to $6k but I went to the dealership since I wasn't paying for the repairs).

Sure I could have done a lot of the work myself but sometime having free time is not an option.

All I'm saying is if I get a 07 335i - I know there will be issues and you better get an extended warranty. Not saying that Toyota doesn't have issues but at 0 miles - I have a few years before having to worry about it.

It's funny - on the Toyota forum - everyone says get the Tundra and don't look back and everyone here says get the 335i and a old beat up truck.

Though I like the old truck idea - in the long run getting 2 vehicle will cost too much for what I want to spend. The key here is want to spend.

The truck will come in handy especially since I'm thinking about getting a boat in about a year or two but not having the ultimate driving machine and being the cool guy with the BMW may be something I can't live without.

Last edited by LKNGOOD; 02-21-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
nightrunner20

My Ride: will eat your dust
Send a message via AIM to nightrunner20
get your 335i and since its for hunting get yourself a truck for like 2k or less. a trucks a truck dude.

Stay with your BMW. u know u want to
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #30
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrunner20 View Post
get your 335i and since its for hunting get yourself a truck for like 2k or less. a trucks a truck dude.

Stay with your BMW. u know u want to
I think that says it all. I want it

Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #31
Cloudbase

My Ride: M Coupe, 325xiT
I agree with everyone else, stick with the Bimmer.

I've been a loyal Toyota truck driver for years. I've got 215K on my 97 Tacoma. It's the best hang gliding vehicle out there (they say the most dangerous part of the sport is the 4x4 drive to the launch site). In stock form it can 4x4 with the best of them, gets okay mileage, and isn't a freakin boat. Hell I lived in the back of it for 9 months while traveling to hang gliding comps and mountain bike races in 2004. Was the funnest time of my life.

The new Tundra's are hideous. I think Toyota sold out to American oversizing of all it's vehicles and it's no surprise they are in trouble now (obviously not for that reason). It sounds like your biggest reservation with the BMW is high mileage for the price, I would hold out for a better deal. Manuals are getting rarer, but there out there. Going from your daily to a Tundra you are going to be highly disappointed every time you drive to work. You might use the truck to hunt and tow a boat a hand full of days a year, but the rest of the time your going to wish you were in the BMW.

If it were me I would find a 335 that was the "one". Maybe a CPO would solve some of the mileage vs price reservations. Hunt with your friends who have trucks (that's what friends are for right?), and pick up an '06 and earlier Tundra in a few years when they are below 10K. I plan on replacing my Tacoma when it finally dies with an '06 or earlier Tundra, less than 150K miles, and less than $10 grand.

There's a guy with a 335i who is in my group on the track who is a slightly better driver than me who regular kicks my ass in the M Coupe. I can hang with him, but haven't gapped him yet!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #32
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
I agree with everyone else, stick with the Bimmer.

I've been a loyal Toyota truck driver for years. I've got 215K on my 97 Tacoma. It's the best hang gliding vehicle out there (they say the most dangerous part of the sport is the 4x4 drive to the launch site). In stock form it can 4x4 with the best of them, gets okay mileage, and isn't a freakin boat. Hell I lived in the back of it for 9 months while traveling to hang gliding comps and mountain bike races in 2004. Was the funnest time of my life.

The new Tundra's are hideous. I think Toyota sold out to American oversizing of all it's vehicles and it's no surprise they are in trouble now (obviously not for that reason). It sounds like your biggest reservation with the BMW is high mileage for the price, I would hold out for a better deal. Manuals are getting rarer, but there out there. Going from your daily to a Tundra you are going to be highly disappointed every time you drive to work. You might use the truck to hunt and tow a boat a hand full of days a year, but the rest of the time your going to wish you were in the BMW.

If it were me I would find a 335 that was the "one". Maybe a CPO would solve some of the mileage vs price reservations. Hunt with your friends who have trucks (that's what friends are for right?), and pick up an '06 and earlier Tundra in a few years when they are below 10K. I plan on replacing my Tacoma when it finally dies with an '06 or earlier Tundra, less than 150K miles, and less than $10 grand.

There's a guy with a 335i who is in my group on the track who is a slightly better driver than me who regular kicks my ass in the M Coupe. I can hang with him, but haven't gapped him yet!
Hey - thanks for the advise. I found two 335i - manual already. One with around 14,000 miles for $29K and one with 24,000 miles for $25K. Guess once you drive a BMW - you drive one for life.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #33
waxman

My Ride: 02 330xi

2002 Steel Gray 330xi
2003 Explorer XLS
2006 H-D 1200XLC
waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #34
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
You're right, a BMW will not cut it if you hunt. Thats why I bought a Jeep Cherokee as a winter/hunt truck and I may be moving to a Land Cruiser to take things a step further. I would take the 335i and get a beater for a hunt truck, you don't want blood and grime in your daily driver anyways.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #35
Nicad

My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Up here a lot of hunters use big ATV's to haul out the catch. Maybe they get them there in the back of pickups, but I think a Touring would look great pulling an ATV on a trailer. Come on up here, we got too many Polar Bears at the Churchill Dump.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #36
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
Tundra and a nice sportbike
Old 02-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #37
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblue3cibm View Post
Tundra and a nice sportbike
That's Funny - because I just bought a 05 CBR F4i Sportbike last year. Love the bike. I ride it pretty much everyday in the summer.

I'll add the picture to my garage because I can't add anymore pictures - it says I exceeded my limit.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #38
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNGOOD View Post
That's Funny - because I just bought a 05 CBR F4i Sportbike last year. Love the bike. I ride it pretty much everyday in the summer.

I'll add the picture to my garage because I can't add anymore pictures - it says I exceeded my limit.
so drop the bm and get the tundra, you can use it to haul the bike
Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #39
LKNGOOD

So get a 07 335i with about 15K-25K miles and use the wife's 4runner to go hunting for now until I find a good used truck. The problem is i'm more tempted in spending the $2k on mods for the 335i then getting a hunting truck.

See with the Tundra - I'm done. No more MOD Bug and It's more reliable, pratical, and I'll have a brand new truck that will last another 10 years. (But that would mean - not having the feeling of driving the ultimate driving machine for 10 years. I think I would last 10 months before I want to trade in the truck - not good).

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #40
Zeekster64

My Ride: 2004 325i premium
2K on mods for the 335i? 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque not enough? Give me a road in North America where you will be allowed to unleash all of that?

Just get the 335 if you want it so bad, eff the mods, save the money for future repairs/maintenace once its out of warrany and like others have said, get a shitay Bronco or cheap Dodge to haul hogs in.