E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #261
m3collins

My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4LLiT0 View Post
does euro spec have any more available?
Why not email/call Euro Spec themselves and ask? Can't expect joe blow that doesn't work there to know.
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #262
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
RCA pre out Voltage

anyone using an after market amp with their unit?

What is the voltage of the Audio RCA out puts?

I am thinking they are either 1.5V or 2V? Confirmation on this?
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #263
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO View Post
anyone using an after market amp with their unit?

What is the voltage of the Audio RCA out puts?

I am thinking they are either 1.5V or 2V? Confirmation on this?
yes I am

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=754606
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #264
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
Thanks,
nice thread!
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #265
jeffb325

Just added this to the info thread, an edit from my original post, thought some of you might find this usefull

IPOD INFO
The ipod interface itself is kind of hit and miss, while it does display all the song info on screen and its a lot better than an ipod adapter with a business cd but I dont think it is going to cut it for me. It allows you to sort by artist, album .....etc....but say you select "artist"....it will just show an alphabetical list of songs by that artist, they wont be split into albums the way they are on the ipod itself. I have a ton of music on my ipod and I like to sort and search by artist>album>song and I cant do that with the way this interface works. To be fair, I tried it with my wifes 8GB nano and it worked pretty good, the smaller library made it much more useable. So how well it works will depend on each persons individual circumstances.

BUT....I did find that if you put it in ipod video mode (icon is on the lower right, below the "folder" icon) the unit reverts to ipod control and you can then use your ipod to navigate your library.

As far as getting ipod video to work, doesnt look like it does, when in ipod video mode the screen just shows the "BMW roundel"

BUT you can use the A/V inputs to run video off your ipod. I used an ipod>A/V plug hooked up to the aux in. You have to control it from the ipod obviously but it works good.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #266
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
BUT....I did find that if you put it in ipod video mode (icon is on the lower right, below the "folder" icon) the unit reverts to ipod control and you can then use your ipod to navigate your library.

As far as getting ipod video to work, doesnt look like it does, when in ipod video mode the screen just shows the "BMW roundel"
nice find, i noticed too i couldn't get the ipod video to work so just stopped messing with it in that mode. so youre saying it will play from that mode when you touch the ipod control while in ipod video mode?? i'll have to give it a try today and see how and what it does. could be useful
Old 04-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #267
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
nice find, i noticed too i couldn't get the ipod video to work so just stopped messing with it in that mode. so youre saying it will play from that mode when you touch the ipod control while in ipod video mode?? i'll have to give it a try today and see how and what it does. could be useful
yes (I have used it with an iphone and ipod touch, havent tried it with others yet), when it is in video mode the "accesory connected" screen goes away and the ipod has control. I think this is so you can access video on the ipod since the dynavin does not seem to have any way to do it.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #268
jeffb325

Another heads up guys,

I hooked up a ipod>A/V cable to the AUX IN on the dynavin. The ipod cable has power wires so it will charge the ipod while in use....WELL.....I got a ton of electrical noise when this was all hooked up. (this isnt a dynavin issue exactly, its more of an ipod cable issue) First I put a power line filter on the power wires of the charging cable....knocked out 95% of the noise. Then I put a ground loop isolator in line on the RCAs where they plugged into the head unit. Problem solved. I can turn it up to max volume (with the ipod on pause) and all I hear is silence.

These parts can be found at any car audio shop.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #269
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Another heads up guys,

I hooked up a ipod>A/V cable to the AUX IN on the dynavin. The ipod cable has power wires so it will charge the ipod while in use....WELL.....I got a ton of electrical noise when this was all hooked up. (this isnt a dynavin issue exactly, its more of an ipod cable issue) First I put a power line filter on the power wires of the charging cable....knocked out 95% of the noise. Then I put a ground loop isolator in line on the RCAs where they plugged into the head unit. Problem solved. I can turn it up to max volume (with the ipod on pause) and all I hear is silence.

These parts can be found at any car audio shop.
Didn't GLI in the audio lines affect SQ negatively?
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #270
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Didn't GLI in the audio lines affect SQ negatively?
If it did it wasnt much, It sounds fine, used the PAC SNI-1, they claim a response of +/- .03 db from 2-20000hz. Thats pretty damn good and even if it isnt true....It may be measureable but I cant hear any difference.

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-09-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #271
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Was this unit tested at all? How many filters and ground loop isolators will you need to add before it's decided that the product is ****.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #272
jeffb325

As i said in my post the noise was from the charging cable, not from the dynavin. The dynavin ipod cable had no noise. I posted this so that anyone using a chaging cable who was experiencing noise on any system would get this post in a search. The documentation that came with the cable warned that it could cause noise...and it did.

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-10-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #273
jeffb325

Just posted this to the info thread,

GLARE FIX, (for some people at least)

(your results may vary depending on your seating postion, hight , and interior color, but this worked for me)

I was looking at some of the pics from the other threads and I got an idea. Member mass03m3 had reinstalled his vents in the wrong order causing the vent bracket to be behind the dynavin bracket and causing the dynavin to be pitched downward slightly. In his pics he was getting reflections of his interior while I was getting reflections of my back window. What if I could do the same (but install the vents corrctly) and pitch the dynavin down a couple of degrees so it was no longer pointed at the rear window.

The back of the dynavin unit sits on top of the air box so I took out the unit and put a small piece of folded cardboard under the back of it (be carefull to keep it away from the arm and lever noted earlier), this lifted the back of the dynavin about 1/4". Then with a little tweaking (had to bend the dynavin brackets a bit at the screw holes to get the vent fit right) and a little trial and error I got the whole thing to go back together pretty cleanly. Now I get reflections of my black seats instead of the bright sky. MUCH BETTER!!!

You can see in these pics that I just get the window reflection in the very top left edge now instead of the entire top half of the screen. This combined with the nu shield that I have on order should take care of my glare problems.

This of course causes the dynavins fit to be slightly less than perfect but you really have to be looking for it to see the change in angle, ill take the slightly sloppy fit over the glare problem for sure.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #274
m3kid349

My Ride: bmw
I have a couple of questions regarding the unit:

1) Does the new bluetooth steering wheel controls mean that its voice activated or it will just dial out the last call that was placed?
2) Will a pre-existent microphone from the parrot bluetooth kit be compatible with the dynavin unit?
3) Does the unit come with wiring for an ipod and usb? If not what wiring do i need and where is the best place to buy it?
4) Will the unit play video while driving or does it require some additional wiring?
5) Lastly, is the startup screen already configured to display the bmw logo or must that be uploaded?

Thank you for your time!
m3kid349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #275
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kid349 View Post
I have a couple of questions regarding the unit:

1) Does the new bluetooth steering wheel controls mean that its voice activated or it will just dial out the last call that was placed?
2) Will a pre-existent microphone from the parrot bluetooth kit be compatible with the dynavin unit?
3) Does the unit come with wiring for an ipod and usb? If not what wiring do i need and where is the best place to buy it?
4) Will the unit play video while driving or does it require some additional wiring?
5) Lastly, is the startup screen already configured to display the bmw logo or must that be uploaded?

Thank you for your time!
1) no voice dial (not with my iphone at least), answer, hangup, redial, reject

2)yes, i tried this when changing out my parrot for the dynavin.

3)yes for the ipod, it comes with a mini usb>usb cord for the plug in the front.

4)ground the parking brake wire. I just spliced it into the gound wire in the harness.

5) BMW screen is the default screen when doing anything non nav related.

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-11-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #276
jeffb325

Ive been playing with the igo software, it is easy to modify and there is a large online community dedicated to customizing and tweaking it. Since the igo nav system is on the micro sd card in the front of they dyanavin it is easy to take out, stick it in your computer and tweak it. Im not going to go into the details here but I googled it and found some skins and some different color schemes, played around with it, and found some some stuff that I really liked, better looking, cleaner, more adjustable, even easier to use. Here is what the skin I am using now looks like, lots more map on the screen, real clean looking colors.

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-15-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #277
m3kid349

My Ride: bmw
Does the tv tuner work in the US considering the switch to digital cable?
m3kid349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #278
rick chi-town

My Ride: '02 330Cic & '08 X5
Quote:
Ive been playing with the igo software, it is easy to modify and there is a large online community dedicated to customizing and tweaking it. Since the igo nav system is on the micro sd card in the front of they dyanavin it is easy to take out, stick it in your computer and tweak it. Im not going to go into the details here but I googled it and found some skins and some different color schemes, played around with it, and found some some stuff that I really liked, better looking, cleaner, more adjustable, even easier to use. Here is what the skin I am using now looks like, lots more map on the screen, real clean looking colors.

Hey Jeff, can you point me in the right direction for the message boards, updates for igo, I googled it and alot popped up, you're right! Just want to find the best one...
rick chi-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #279
jeffb325

the skin I am using is from here:

http://www.igo8mods.com/dimka.htm

And the color scemes I found here, I liked the stuff by "Xerses"

http://artwork-igo8.blogspot.com/search/label/scheme

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-13-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #280
m3dds

My Ride: 2006 M3
Hey Guys, how do you get the navi started...having probs w/that part of the install. Any help is appreciated
m3dds is offline   Reply With Quote