E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #41
colinschick

My Ride: 325ci
Dreamliner,

Why did you need the VW Amp adapter? is that required for everyone buying this system?

Would you advise someone who hasnt installed radios before to take this to get done (along with AC relocation kit) at a shop?

Thanks for your review!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #42
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinschick View Post
Dreamliner,

Why did you need the VW Amp adapter? is that required for everyone buying this system?

Would you advise someone who hasnt installed radios before to take this to get done (along with AC relocation kit) at a shop?

Thanks for your review!
The VW Adapter is for the antenna...the 99-01 models had an older style antenna cable and the included dynavin antenna adapter is worthless (to the older e46).

Its not overly complicated, you just have to take your time. An install of the deck involves:

Removing the glove box
Removing the trim above the glove box
Removing the trim above the radio
Removing the panel on the passenger side pillar
Removing the corner plastic mold cover on the passenger door jam
Removing the window roll up/down / gear shift panel
Removing the ashtray/pocket

all in all, pretty simple...honestly, the hardest thing was getting the cigarette lighter out of the old molding kit.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #43
jeby

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
quick question guys

if you are on radio and you press the arrow up/down on your steering wheel... does it scroll through your preset fm stations like an OEM radio?

i would imagine that this will also work for cd and ipod songs, hopefully....
unfortunately not. it seeks to the next available station.
jeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #44
BG in NJ

My Ride: 06 AW/Cinn M3 Cab.
Dynavin Noise Fix

From the Dynavin message board:

“At first, we are very sorry for the design errors.
After one week of learning and survey , we found all the background noise and station interference noise are high - frenquency noise, but we used the common low – frequency speakers for testiong, so we did not detected this bug before.
Now we have found the solutions, that is to replace two capacitors and two resistances in the mainboard, in this way the background nosie will be reduced to 25% than before, station interference noise also will be lower substantially. we have sent the solution to our distributors , please clients whom has this problem contact with our distributors and consult with them to deal with this issue.”

and....

“For managing it, we need to open the dvd player ,detach the dvd loader and see into the mainboard. So we highly suggest the client find expert to do this work.”

Doesn't look like an easy fix.
BG in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #45
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Wow that sucks.

you get what you pay for.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #46
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG in NJ View Post
From the Dynavin message board:

“At first, we are very sorry for the design errors.
After one week of learning and survey , we found all the background noise and station interference noise are high - frenquency noise, but we used the common low – frequency speakers for testiong, so we did not detected this bug before.
Now we have found the solutions, that is to replace two capacitors and two resistances in the mainboard, in this way the background nosie will be reduced to 25% than before, station interference noise also will be lower substantially. we have sent the solution to our distributors , please clients whom has this problem contact with our distributors and consult with them to deal with this issue.”

and....

“For managing it, we need to open the dvd player ,detach the dvd loader and see into the mainboard. So we highly suggest the client find expert to do this work.”

Doesn't look like an easy fix.
Not sure which upsets me more, the shitty product, the shitty fix (up to 25% less, how about none?) or the shitty English

Either way, definitely not an easy fix--this is something that should have been caught during quality assurance testing or R&D

Good luck
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #47
jeffb325

I wonder if the fix that dynavin has come up with might lower the output of the unit (and the noise floor along with it) to a level more compatible with the bmw amp.....the simple fact that they said they were using speakers for testing and not an actual bmw car....or at least the amp and speaker from a car....makes me think that they didnt properly account for the e46 amp.

I have done installs before on oem "amplified" systems (older fords in particular) that I didnt know were amplified until I turned everything on and got symptoms very much like the dynavin problems. Hiss, clicks, hums, bleed, all kinds of problems. Installed a line output converter in line and the problems go away. This is common everyday practice for a stereo installer....matching input and output levels of different components so everything plays nice together.

Or maybe its nothing related to this at all and they just got a few components wrong on the board

And while it sucks that they got it wrong the first time, at least it looks like they are quickly trying to get everything right...

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-24-2010 at 05:19 PM.
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #48
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
1. Where can I get one of these adjustable line output converters and how hard are they to install and price?

2. Another ? on the external mic that came with the dynavin kit. I Installed mine in the bmw factory location. I cant test it yet as my blue tooth phone is a piece of Sht. Did anyone who installed it in the bmw factory location leave the foam on the mic on or off?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #49
monepit1

My Ride: 03 325ci convertible
Mine is a non HK unit. I've had many excellent sounding factory stereos and as much as I love my bmw the sound system is shitty at best. Does this hiss and bleed through happen on all systems or just the HK? I am about to order this system but I dont want any hassels, Is the noise there when driving around or is it just when things are quite and you are listening to it? Also is it any better than the business CD. Thanks
monepit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #50
fotoflojoe

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
I wonder if the fix that dynavin has come up with might lower the output of the unit (and the noise floor along with it) to a level more compatible with the bmw amp.....the simple fact that they said they were using speakers for testing and not an actual bmw car....or at least the amp and speaker from a car....makes me think that they didnt properly account for the e46 amp.

I have done installs before on oem "amplified" systems (older fords in particular) that I didnt know were amplified until I turned everything on and got symptoms very much like the dynavin problems. Hiss, clicks, hums, bleed, all kinds of problems. Installed a line output converter in line and the problems go away. This is common everyday practice for a stereo installer....matching input and output levels of different components so everything plays nice together.

Or maybe its nothing related to this at all and they just got a few components wrong on the board

And while it sucks that they got it wrong the first time, at least it looks like they are quickly trying to get everything right...
Looks like your initial assessment was spot-on!

Couple questions:

Is it fair to say that the hiss/hum/bleed will only come through the unit's balanced outputs? That is, would the line-level outputs not be affected by this interference?

And, if the line-level outputs would be affected, is there a technique or device that can be used to lower gain of the signal coming from the line-outs? A LOC's counterpart, if you will...

Sorry if the questions don't make sense, I know just enough about car audio to get myself into trouble.

I have an old A/D/S amp that I'm considering installing along with the Dynavin. The amp has plenty of power for front and rear component speakers and a sub. I'd like to get it into the car, but if noise will be an issue at line level, maybe I'll hold off.

My unit's still sitting in the box on my desk - waiting on an HVAC relocation bracket.

Thanks!
fotoflojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #51
Ludicious

My Ride: 2003 325i
Awesome work on this thread Nick.

The Bluetooth Phonebook - This is something I've seen quite a few times on various pairing devices that download the phonebook.

Navigation Icons - the iGo software is quite tweakable. The guys on the Avic411.com forums have done massive overhauls to it. And GPSUnderground.com has lots of info on the config files.

Noise - Jeff's theory on the line level is a very valid one... be interesting to see if someone tries this before I get my unit.
Ludicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #52
mass03m3

Quote:

Jeff,
I am thinking of trying this loc fix. I am going to use a pac oem2 and install it on the dynavin wiring harness after the head unit. What do you think? I figure that it is a cheap fix if it works and i don't have to cut bmw oem harness.
thanks
Todd
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #53
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
1. Where can I get one of these adjustable line output converters and how hard are they to install and price?
any adjustable LOC with wired inputs AND outputs should work, peripheral has one that I use all the time but they just got bought out by PAC....this one looks like the right PAC LOC.

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=28

Any car audio shop should have these or something similar in stock, a cheap one should work just fine, they should cost less than $50.

Basically to install this it needs to be spliced in line into the dynavin wire harness on the speaker outputs. This would allow you to reduce the dynavins output and therefore its noise. Since it sounds like only half of the dynavins volume scale is being used the output could be reduced significantly without any change in performance (except the volume numbers would be higher under regular use) as long as the dynavin doesnt produce excessive distortion at higher volumes this should work fine.

Or maybe dynavin will come up with a nice solution!

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #54
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflojoe View Post
Looks like your initial assessment was spot-on!

Couple questions:

Is it fair to say that the hiss/hum/bleed will only come through the unit's balanced outputs? That is, would the line-level outputs not be affected by this interference?

And, if the line-level outputs would be affected, is there a technique or device that can be used to lower gain of the signal coming from the line-outs? A LOC's counterpart, if you will...

Sorry if the questions don't make sense, I know just enough about car audio to get myself into trouble.

I have an old A/D/S amp that I'm considering installing along with the Dynavin. The amp has plenty of power for front and rear component speakers and a sub. I'd like to get it into the car, but if noise will be an issue at line level, maybe I'll hold off.

My unit's still sitting in the box on my desk - waiting on an HVAC relocation bracket.

Thanks!
Dont know if the hum is on the line outs....does this unit even have line outs?

if the line output were used with an external amp the gain on the amp could be adjusted down,,,no need for a LOC.

I dont have this thing yet so my advice is purely thoretical
Old 02-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #55
mass03m3

Quote:
any adjustable LOC with wired inputs AND outputs should work, peripheral has one that I use all the time but they just got bought out by PAC....this one looks like the right PAC LOC.

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=28

Any car audio shop should have these or something similar in stock, a cheap one should work just fine, they should cost less than $50.
Just bought a pac loc off of amazon for $20. I will install when I receive it and let everyone know if it works.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #56
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeby View Post
unfortunately not. it seeks to the next available station.
wow that fvcking sucks
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #57
doubledees

My Ride: 2005 M3 Jet Black
Is it me or am I the only one that got european maps?? Turned it to Nav mode and got situated somewhere in Europe it seems, couldn't understand a lick bc it wasn't in english.

x10 on the comment about the cigarette lighter, I swear I was going to snap that plastic mold for the F*** of it just to get it out.
doubledees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #58
TR_MS3
Banned

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledees View Post
Is it me or am I the only one that got european maps?? Turned it to Nav mode and got situated somewhere in Europe it seems, couldn't understand a lick bc it wasn't in english.
Who did you order from?
TR_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #59
fotoflojoe

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Dont know if the hum is on the line outs....does this unit even have line outs?

if the line output were used with an external amp the gain on the amp could be adjusted down,,,no need for a LOC.

I dont have this thing yet so my advice is purely thoretical
Thanks!

Yeah, the Dynavin has front and rear RCA line outputs.
fotoflojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #60
doubledees

My Ride: 2005 M3 Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_MS3 View Post
Who did you order from?
Euro-spec. Or am I not adjusting some setting, it has to be the sd card given right?
doubledees is offline   Reply With Quote