E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.79 average.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #601
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Lol, but u sure it is single right?

FS OEM BLAUPUNKT CD PLAYER (no mode)
FS OEM 330 AIRBOX + NEW AIR FILTER
FS 35W CANBUS BALLASTS (UMNITZA)
FS COMPLETE OEM LIGHTS: FRONT,CORNERS, REAR
FS PEAKE TOOL
FS 2001 LCM
P.M. me for anything you are interested.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #602
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
confirmed...thats the single row......see how the buttons are all housed in one single part....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #603
28firefighter

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Jeff,

Has Dynavin considered making a single DIN unit? I have no desire to relocate my A/C controls, and have no use for navigation...
28firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #604
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
I was wondering if there was a way to hook the "external mic" up to the oem bmw mic. Hardwiring etc.
from what i know external mic has two wires and stock oem mic has 3. (CLEAR, BROWN with WHITE and WHITE with BLACK)
does anyone know how to wire these together? it would help alot
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #605
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28firefighter View Post
Jeff,

Has Dynavin considered making a single DIN unit? I have no desire to relocate my A/C controls, and have no use for navigation...
interesting question, so I gotta ask, what do you expect out of a single din unit from them over the factory unit?

instead of buying a new head unit, there are solutions for IPOD, bluetooth if you don't have it. Only other thing missing would be the jacks for hooking up a full aftermarket stereo system.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #606
28firefighter

I want an integrated solution that offers Bluetooth, Satellite, and iPod hookup. I'm trying to find out if the Mediabridge will do what I want it to, but so far the bluetooth won't activate the voice command on my phone (deal breaker) and if I'm listening to FM I have to switch to the CD Changer to even answer the call. Not the end of the world, but far from an integrated solution. Plus, I would like the option to later upgrade the stereo aftermarket.

To retrofit the car with BMW parts is cost prohibitive, and a new aftermarket (Pioneer/Alpine/etc) h/u is an option, but most of them don't look right given the slot and are too complicated to try and use while driving.

I'm probably asking too much...
Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #607
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
I want an integrated solution that offers Bluetooth, Satellite, and iPod hookup. I'm trying to find out if the Mediabridge will do what I want it to, but so far the bluetooth won't activate the voice command on my phone (deal breaker) and if I'm listening to FM I have to switch to the CD Changer to even answer the call. Not the end of the world, but far from an integrated solution. Plus, I would like the option to later upgrade the stereo aftermarket.

To retrofit the car with BMW parts is cost prohibitive, and a new aftermarket (Pioneer/Alpine/etc) h/u is an option, but most of them don't look right given the slot and are too complicated to try and use while driving.

I'm probably asking too much...
Get the Parrot BT system and then add the DICE media bridge (without BT) or a GROM USB + aux box. The Parrot system uses the steering wheel buttons and activates your phones voice control. IT generally works well, but read the thread on it in DIY section for inf.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #608
jryguyi

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Get the Parrot BT system and then add the DICE media bridge (without BT) or a GROM USB + aux box. The Parrot system uses the steering wheel buttons and activates your phones voice control. IT generally works well, but read the thread on it in DIY section for inf.
I have both for sale...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #609
28firefighter

The issue here is that I'm not comfortable doing this myself, and the audio installers I've talked to have no clue what I'm talking about when I mention the Dice Mediabridge etc.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #610
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
confirmed...thats the single row......see how the buttons are all housed in one single part....
Is it possible to switch to a multiple row as i would like to add a button for the halos.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #611
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
Is it possible to switch to a multiple row as i would like to add a button for the halos.
No, you'd need to get the whole console unit (including the center panel) because the multiple and single panels are a different size.
The single panels are 16mm high
While the multiple switch panels are 18mm high

Last edited by Darkoz; 08-20-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #612
budfox4life

My Ride: intexcalc
Send a message via Yahoo to budfox4life
So I now have illumination! Thanks to m3collins, Jeff, and TRBOVNM for the explanation of the "pin jumping" technique.

An important note for anyone doing the FAKRA install going forward... the illumination wire is on PIN 14 not pin 13 (previously mistakenly mentioned). I first tried jumping 13 to 16 and ended up with no sound. It seems pin 13 is a trigger for my amps to turn on so I will need to get a splice kit tomorrow to get that back together securely (currently just twisted back together with tape around it).

Now a new question.. I have illumination thanks to splicing pin 14 into pin 16 but I have "full power/all on illumination"... is there another wire I can connect the pin 14 illumination wire to that will allow me to dim the buttons on the dynavin more like the stock interior lighting? As it is now the buttons are so bright the light shows through the black parts surrounding the text making them pretty visually unappealing...

So anybody (nudge... m3collins) know of a wire I can "jump" the pin 14 illumination wire to that will allow my buttons to dim a bit?

Thanks again for all of the help in this thread.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #613
spngr311

My Ride: 2001 M5
Finally got mine all wired up tonight! Everything works - illumination, SWC, antannae, everything! It was that pin 9 on the rear harness in the trunk (white with red and yellow) that controlled my SWC.

I didn't use the FAKRA. I just spliced into everything I needed. I wired the power, ground, acc, and illumination from the harness with the blue connector in the front of the car.

Unfortunately, I don't have my amp yet (the OEM one was not there) so I ran some speaker wire to the back and spliced into the Dynavin harness (I don't have anything to put in there if I ever take the Dynavin out, so there was no need for me to keep the plug on the Dynavin that goes to the car). I ran two way crossovers for the rear and three way crossovers for the front. When I bought the car, it had a terrible Kenwood head unit running only four speakers out of the ten - so this is a huge step forward, even without the sub and amp! I can't wait to try it out more.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #614
TRBOVNM

budfox, I haven't looked in this fuse panel, but on most cars there is a instrument cluster illumination fuse or instrument cluster fuse or something. when I install aftermarket gauges, I tap into that fuse with an add-a-circuit because it illuminates the dash and is also connected to the dimmer.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #615
Mulatto325

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Pulled out my old radio and glove box today to get ready for my Dynavin install. Pretty simple and feel confident i will be able to do this install. Followed a step by step guide, The vents took some pulling and getting my cig lighter out of the old ac part( not sure if the relocation kit comes with one but I'm thinking no) took some massaging. Ran my RCA and found out 12 foot is not really long enough so i will pick up some 4 or 6 foot male to female extensions tomorrow and i did not have a small enough torx bit to get my buttons off my old ac part will pick that up tomorrow too. Have to reroute new speaker wire from my 4 crossovers located on my door panels (aftermarket) to my amps which I'm going to relocate to under the floor on top of the spare tire in the trunk( currently mounted on the metal between the trunk and the back seats) some time this week which looks like it will be more of a pain in the ass then actually installing the new HU.http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...721&highlight= Also going to put an amp fan in the floor in the trunk because i know its gonna get hot under there. Pics of current amp set up. I'm also going to have a box built with 2 square kickers ported through the ski pass. Shop in Tampa is going to make me a box like this one for $125 bucks. So all you will see is my subs when you open the trunk. Might add a 2 farad cap. Not sure if i need it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0191.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	372663   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg4191199461972BMW%20102V%20-%20SIDE[1].jpg
Views:	80
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	372664  

My tops down, its upset.
>>>Mulatto325<<< Build thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...087&highlight=
Mulatto325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #616
Breakin Newz

My Ride: BMW
What backup camera is best for this unit?
Breakin Newz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #617
TRBOVNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakin Newz View Post
not certain. one guy got the boyo and I am going to go with the accele.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #618
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakin Newz View Post
Scroll down to post #4 might help you....
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=754606
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #619
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
The issue here is that I'm not comfortable doing this myself, and the audio installers I've talked to have no clue what I'm talking about when I mention the Dice Mediabridge etc.
It is all pretty easy. I'm sure if you pick the pieces up from the OP he will help with a walkthrough on the install, shoot I'm not too far from you and would be willing to come help on a weekend. PM if you go that route and want a set of hands to save money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Just did a test and with the radio on, anything below volume level 6 I can hear the static.
While watching a movie or TV, anything below volume level 16 (which is getting pretty loud) I can hear the radio bleed and the static.
My unit already has the LOC integrated into the the main harness
Ok, I am experiencing this as well.

From volume level 1 to ~7 (depending on radio/cd/ipod) I get a noticable static noise. Mine, however, is easily noticeable with road noise and can be noticed alot when changing songs. It is starting to annoy me some so I'm looking for advice on possible things I'm missing before I turn to LOCs.

Info: H/K Speakers/No OEM NAV

1 - I've taped up all connections and the ends of all non-used connections with 3M quality electrical tape but have not wrapped them in a ziplock type bag as I've seen a few others have done. Is the ziplock type bag helpful regarding noise issues or is this simply to keep them neat and easy to tuck away in the dash?

2 - All of my wires are crammed in a common void on the left side of the Dynavin, are some of your cramming half (or so) of these wires elsewhere, thus cutting down on the dense "nest of signals"?

3 - I have an aftermarket sub in the trunk that pulls an audio signal (through a LOC, standard wire-to-RCA output) pre-factory amp. Now my static noise doesn't really exist in my sub, rather my OEM speakers, but could this setup possible be causing problems? I guess I can easily run RCAs from the Dynavin to the amp now and gain subwoofer control so I will do that and see if it helps.

4 - If nothing seems wrong with my setup and I need to go the LOC route, should I just use the ones provided or has anyone that is using the adjustable LOCs seen a need for the adjustability? I would simply install the provided units and see if that allowed me a suitable max volume but I fear the situation of ending up with too short wires to successfully splice into from going back and forth.

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 08-23-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Jmanscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #620
budfox4life

My Ride: intexcalc
Send a message via Yahoo to budfox4life
has anyone tried tapping the wire that goes into the rear ashtray? would this be a dimmed 12v that could work for my illumination wire?