E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #101
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
Not for sure as i dont have the dynavin yet but i do have bluetooth in both of my cars. Typicaly both the blutooth device AND the phone have volume controls that are bluetooth specific, are you saying that the dynavin takes on the current volume of whatever you are listening to? Not right but if thats how it is its not that bad, i find myself fidling with the volume on my calls every time anyway as every call is different. Thats not ideal however, hopefully fixable or a settings issue.

Last edited by jeffb325; 03-01-2010 at 12:51 AM.
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #102
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Line output converter

Ok,
I have installed a line ouput converter(loc) on my Dynavin e46 headunit. And much to my suprise, IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting on the PAC oem2 in the mail and ran out of patience. I went down to my local installer and told him my situation and he gave me a 4 channel line level converter made by Neucleus(nc-sc400t). I would probably go with the PAC loc as it has adjustments for line level and the neucleus does not. It said in the Neucleus instructions that this unit is made for Harmon Kardon system. The best part is you can pick a loc up online for way under $50!!!

I no longer have hiss or radio interference in the background. This Definetely makes this dynavin sooo much better. I can also use other settings on the eq such as rock,pop,jazz etc. and I don't get any popping or hiss. It is a very simple install as you Just install it inline on your Dynavin harness speaker outputs. The worst part is you have more wires to shove into the dash.

Many thanks to jeff325 as he is the one who suggested the LOC!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	350406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	350407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	350408  

Last edited by mass03m3; 03-01-2010 at 10:25 AM.
mass03m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #103
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
So does that indicate dynavin should just reduce the amp gain rather than band aid fix with capacitors which may affect sound quality?
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #104
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
So does that indicate dynavin should just reduce the amp gain rather than band aid fix with capacitors which may affect sound quality?
I am in no way a car audio expert but I can tell you that the improvement for me is excellent. My understanding is, When you are hooking the wiring harness of the Dynavin unit , You are basically blasting 45w X 4 into your harmon kardon amplifier. So, I would have to say "yes" just turn down the amp gain of the Dynavin unit.

For me, There was no way I was going to send my unit back to have it fixed and have them rip it apart to add some capacitors. Who knows how long that would take and if it even works. This worked out perfect for me and all I can say is try it for yourself. I basically have no complaints about this unit now(except SWC for Bluetooth and Screen glare.) I fixed screen glare with a nushield screen protector and I would hope dynavin would come out with another harness for bluetooth.

Jeffb325 can probably explain it better.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #105
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Have you noticed the DVD volume is significantly less than any other input?

Every time I switch to the DVD, it seems it is far lower in volume, and I fear that although the Line Output Convertor will fix most of these issues, the DVD will be even more quiet.

mass03m3, in comparison to radio/usb/ipod how is the DVD volume for you now?
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #106
cdm3

My Ride: 2005 m3 Vert
Can any of these setting you refer to be adjusted under Settings. From memory there are a number of specialized frequency settings....I am not referring to the basic equalizer
cdm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #107
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Have you noticed the DVD volume is significantly less than any other input?

Every time I switch to the DVD, it seems it is far lower in volume, and I fear that although the Line Output Convertor will fix most of these issues, the DVD will be even more quiet.

mass03m3, in comparison to radio/usb/ipod how is the DVD volume for you now?
I get plenty of volume in the dvd to satisfy my needs. As you have said, the dvd seems to be the most quiet of all the modes(radio,ipod, bluetooth etc.) with the radio being the loudest mode. Basically, If i have the radio at a volume of 15 now and I switch to the dvd mode, I have to turn the dvd up to about 20 to 25 to satisfy me. The loc will improve the signal to noise ratio and will clear up the radio bleed.

By the way if anyone needs an LOC I have an extra PAC oem2 that I bought off ebay that just came in the mail this afternoon. Just want what I paid for it $15 + $5 for shipping. The guy I bought it from cut the rca jack off it(I don't know why) but it will still work for this application. pm me if interested.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #108
TR_MS3
Banned

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
so you went from the output RCA's to speaker wires? or vise-versa?
TR_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #109
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
^

The LOC he is using is simply inline from the speaker out wires on the Dynavin. Interestingly enough, coming off the Dynavin's RCA outputs to bare wires may work too (not needing a LOC then), no telling if the output is strong enough though, probably not.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #110
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_MS3 View Post
so you went from the output RCA's to speaker wires? or vise-versa?
As dreamliner said the loc is just inline on the Dynavin harness. I prefer the loc as it is adjustable and you can set it to where you want it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #111
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm3 View Post
Can any of these setting you refer to be adjusted under Settings. From memory there are a number of specialized frequency settings....I am not referring to the basic equalizer
I have not messed around with the specialized frequency settings yet. But as I said the basic eq with the pop,rock,jazz etc can be used now.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #112
TR_MS3
Banned

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
Quote:
^

The LOC he is using is simply inline from the speaker out wires on the Dynavin. Interestingly enough, coming off the Dynavin's RCA outputs to bare wires may work too (not needing a LOC then), no telling if the output is strong enough though, probably not.
Dynavin says the RCA is .5 volt right?
TR_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #113
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
I am in no way a car audio expert but I can tell you that the improvement for me is excellent. My understanding is, When you are hooking the wiring harness of the Dynavin unit , You are basically blasting 45w X 4 into your harmon kardon amplifier. So, I would have to say "yes" just turn down the amp gain of the Dynavin unit.

For me, There was no way I was going to send my unit back to have it fixed and have them rip it apart to add some capacitors. Who knows how long that would take and if it even works. This worked out perfect for me and all I can say is try it for yourself. I basically have no complaints about this unit now(except SWC for Bluetooth and Screen glare.) I fixed screen glare with a nushield screen protector and I would hope dynavin would come out with another harness for bluetooth.

Jeffb325 can probably explain it better.
Success! Your explination here is pretty much correct. Great to hear that it worked. Im a little suprised that it got rid of your radio bleed issue...it probably just reduced it enough to make it inaudible with the car running but thats good enough!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #114
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
Success! Your explination here is pretty much correct. Great to hear that it worked. Im a little suprised that it got rid of your radio bleed issue...it probably just reduced it enough to make it inaudible with the car running but thats good enough!
Thanks for the help. Actually, I can't hear any bleed with the car off. I got sick of waiting this morning for the mailman and went out and bought a different loc and sure enough after i put the different loc in the mailman walks up with the other one!! Well, it's all good. Don't have the hi/lo settings on this loc but it does the trick.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #115
jeffb325

Quote:
^

I have a full aftermarket system running off the factory headunit so I am familiar with what kind of output it has and what adjustments I had to make to match up all my components, thats why I had the LOC idea in the first place.

Since the LOC worked dynavin obviously has WAY too much output voltage through the speaker wires for factory amp to handle BUT I would think .5 volt RCA outputs isnt nearly enough. Somebody should give it a try anyway though, you never know!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #116
jeffb325

By the way, before everyone starts ripping dynavin let me explain what I think is going on here. First off, The OEM headunit outputs a high level speaker output to the amp not a low line level output. I think this is for universal compatibility, it can drive speakers or the amp and I think the "amp" may be more of a powered crossover than a traditional amplifier.

Dynavin is selling these units globally and I would bet that E46s sold overseas can be had without the "amp" that the US cars have. In these cars the higher power of the dynavin would be an asset, but in our cars with our amps its a bit of a liability. Dynavin probably either didnt realize the potential problem or didnt think it financialy viable to make different units for amp and non amp cars when the differences are minor. I wonder if thier "fix" doesnt just reduce the output a bit.

I guess more isnt always better.

Last edited by jeffb325; 03-01-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #117
mass03m3

Ok - I have another question regarding bluetooth. On the Dynavin unit when you are in bluetooth mode, What does the round knob(the one that everyone is complaining that it is chrome) with the phone symbol on it do? I have turned it and pushed it and does nothing for me in bluetooth mode. Do I need to change a setting somewhere to make this work.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #118
XIinSC

My Ride: 2004 M3 98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
Ok - I have another question regarding bluetooth. On the Dynavin unit when you are in bluetooth mode, What does the round knob(the one that everyone is complaining that it is chrome) with the phone symbol on it do? I have turned it and pushed it and does nothing for me in bluetooth mode. Do I need to change a setting somewhere to make this work.
Thanks
Turning it does nothing that I know of. When connected to my Iphone you can push to answer if you have a call incoming and auto answer is turned off in settings.
If no call is incoming, pushing it redials the last number.
XIinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #119
doubledees

My Ride: 2005 M3 Jet Black
This is great news!! Good job mass03, so you are using the rca's provided to plug this line level converter into? Which labeled plugs are you using...sorry novice at all this stereo talk. Thanks.
doubledees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #120
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledees View Post
This is great news!! Good job mass03, so you are using the rca's provided to plug this line level converter into? Which labeled plugs are you using...sorry novice at all this stereo talk. Thanks.
No, I am not using rca's. I bought a 4 channel Line ouput converter (stereo wire to stereo wire). An example of these units is a PAC oem2 or PAC soem4 or NEucleus nc-sc400t. Basically, cut all 8 speaker wires on the dynavin wiring harness and put the Line output converter inline. the speaker wires you cut on the dynavin wiring harness are:

White(front left speaker+)
White/black(front left speaker-)
grey(front right speaker+)
grey/black(front right speaker-)
green(back left speaker+)
green/black(back left speaker-)
purple(back right speaker+)
purple/black(back right speaker-)

then make adjustments to the 4 channels until the sound and volume is what you desire. The directions that come with the loc are pretty straight forward.