E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
clinique

My Ride: 06 M3 Vert
What setting for Koni yellow

I searched, but only came up with instructions on how to adjust them.

I just got my set of koni yellows for front and rear.
For the fronts, I can adjust the dampening after installation, but the rears are internally adjustable. I dont want to find out its too bouncy and have to remove the shock to adjust.

Just wanted to know what's a common setting for a DD. No tracking or autoXing. Just want sporty handling with a good amount of ride comfort.

FYI, I'm also running eibach prokit springs and new upgraded shock/strut mounts at all corners.

Any advice is appreciated.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I have mine set at full soft, and it seems to be pretty good for DDing. A 1/2 turn up would probably be good too. (mine are top adjustable tho since ground control has top adjustable rears made for them)
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
clinique

Guess I'll start at 1/2 turn up.

I was fully compressing the shocks (both at full soft) and one rebounds noticeably faster than the other. Should I adjust the faster one to get it to match the slower one?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
They used? You might need a rebuilt; the rears are also easy to get to. Just cut a little hole in the carpeting in the trunk, and it's really easy to adjust.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
I had my rears set at 50% and fronts at 75% starting from softest on my 330Ci. Worked perfect on my 19" CHs and 20" DPEs!

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
clinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
They used? You might need a rebuilt; the rears are also easy to get to. Just cut a little hole in the carpeting in the trunk, and it's really easy to adjust.
nope, they're new
Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
tonydinh3

My Ride: e46 m3
do you need to fully decompress the strut if you adjust the dampening? because i put it on my car and have not touched the dampening yet.
tonydinh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydinh3 View Post
do you need to fully decompress the strut if you adjust the dampening? because i put it on my car and have not touched the dampening yet.
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinique View Post
nope, they're new
I think I just read it wrong. If they're compressing at different speeds then they're currently set at different rebound settings.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
You can not adust the Koni yellow rear shocks without first removing them from the car and compressing them.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
BMW_Matt

? I must have different shocks from Koni then.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
tonydinh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
? I must have different shocks from Koni then.
lol so can i or can i not adjust with out compressing the shock? lol i would think you can with them on the car because thats why they have that knob and that would be suck a hassle to take them on and off the car to compress them.... just to adjust them
Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
jvr826

My Ride: '05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
You can not adust the Koni yellow rear shocks without first removing them from the car and compressing them.
that makes no sense to me. You adjust them to tune your suspension and if you take the suspension apart every time you tune... well...

I have top adjustable Koni's from TCKline. The process I use is to put them to full stiff, then back them off from there. You can do the same thing from full soft if you rather go that way.

Start with a known setting and work from there.

jvr826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
It does not make sense to me which is why I have now got a set of AST's waiting to be fitted. Looking further into it, the adjustment prodedure varies depending on what shock model you have see here: http://www.koni.com/193.html

To adjust my rear konis I have to take them out, fully compress them until it locks in the adjuster. No other way of doing it.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
My Koni rears were the same as yours Zero.

You have to remove, fully compress, and then rotate the body. 0 to 720 degrees for Max. I set it once and left it.

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
that makes no sense to me. You adjust them to tune your suspension and if you take the suspension apart every time you tune... well...

I have top adjustable Koni's from TCKline. The process I use is to put them to full stiff, then back them off from there. You can do the same thing from full soft if you rather go that way.

Start with a known setting and work from there.
Yep. And if you keep them at max stiff/max soft, make sure to crack them open.
Quote:
lol so can i or can i not adjust with out compressing the shock? lol i would think you can with them on the car because thats why they have that knob and that would be suck a hassle to take them on and off the car to compress them.... just to adjust them
Do you have the rebound adjustment on top of the shock in the rears?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
It does not make sense to me which is why I have now got a set of AST's waiting to be fitted. Looking further into it, the adjustment prodedure varies depending on what shock model you have see here: http://www.koni.com/193.html

To adjust my rear konis I have to take them out, fully compress them until it locks in the adjuster. No other way of doing it.
Ah, well that makes more sense now.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
tonydinh3

that takes care of the rears how about the fronts? do i ahve to have them taken out to adjust? because if so then GOOD GAME ima going to leave my fronts the way they are! lol but rears were easy to take out and put in so i wouldnt mind taking those out to adjust
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
good thread, mine just came in the mail today and i was wondering the same thing.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
cheech320

My Ride: Is TiAg
Quote:
that takes care of the rears how about the fronts? do i ahve to have them taken out to adjust? because if so then GOOD GAME ima going to leave my fronts the way they are! lol but rears were easy to take out and put in so i wouldnt mind taking those out to adjust
No you do not need to take the fronts out to adjust them. Just use the knob supplied and do the same thing to both sides. I used to have the set to full stiff rear and 75% front. I then went to full stiff all the way around. Found alot of understeer at full stiff but I am changing my tire and swaybar setup this year so I'm going to experiment a little more.

Edit: just noticed its a dd with no autox/ track. Just set them to full soft and you should be fine since it will keep the same balance your car had from the factory and get rid of some of the bounce from the stock shocks/struts.

Photobucket

Last edited by cheech320; 02-26-2010 at 10:03 PM.
cheech320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
clinique

Thanks for the input everyone

I contacted koni and with my eibach prokit springs, they suggested 25% from full soft (180 degree out of 720 max) for the rear shocks

For my fronts, I'll probably do the same 25% setting and adjust as needed.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
^ Did you get these put in yet? What settings and how do they feel? I'm putting only rears on mine

thanks