E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
catchme46

My Ride: M3 Coupe
About those eBay headers...(install write up)

I know there are a TON of threads about them but I'd like to set the record straight from ALL the searching I did, I probably read all of the threads over the past week. These seem to be a new version of the header which have thick flanges that bolt up to the cylinder head. Not the older one which, from what I can tell from my reading all these old threads, were a much better fit.

I purchased some headers from a company called "M2 Performance Inc." and the eBay user name as "SureWinProducts".

This is the link to the specific headers that I purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

These cost me $48 and $45 to ship for a total of: $93.

As you can see in the auction... they claim these are "Direct bolt-on installation"

They are not! These are the problems I encountered:

1. Flanges are much too think to use the stock exhaust studs, I ended up using top grade bolts which I had to buy in an emergency from LOWES. I would have bought longers studs but I would have had to order them and my car was down halfway done with an install, so I had no choice.

2. Exhaust runners on the rear header did not line up very well at all. This took 2 people and 3 hours to get on. The front header was fine and bolted up easily. Having longer studs would have been easier to line them up, if you buy these headers, you better order longer studs or you'll be in trouble.

3. Out of 4 Oxygen sensor bungs ONLY 1 IS USABLE! The 2 on the front header are facing the body of the car which means there is only about .5 inch of clearance... NO WAY any O2 sensor would fit in there. The EGT probe fits fine and 1 O2 bung for the rear runner has enough clearance to fit a sensor in it. I was forced to heat up with the torch and twist it just a bit so that I could make it fit. NOT FUN. I would have welded in a new bung, but nobody around me could weld stainless.

4. The front header rubs up against the strut tower. It vibrates like crazy and sounds like **** from the inside of the car. Again my solution was heating up the pipe and bending it down about 4mm. Worked great.

5. The flanges that connect to the mid pipe do not line up. Yep, you gotta drill these and slot the holes on the header that are supposed to line up with the OEM mid pipe flanges.

That's about it. Was it worth it? Probably not, it sucked really bad. The good part is the car feels great and power gains are awesome. Probably the best basic bolt on mod you can do to a E46 M3. They sound great too coupled with my Super Sprint rear section.

I honestly didn't expect anything great for a header that cost me 93$ shipped... so don't take this as me complaining and *****ing... this is here just to inform you all about what I had to go though to get these installed. If you have the means to do all that I did to them to get them on, then go for it. If not, you should just spend the extra money on a decent brand name set or maybe try a different eBay design.

On another note... I installed two O2 simulators with built in heaters to get rid of my rear, post cat O2 sensors and they work awesome so far. I left the 17mm bolts in the rear O2 holes in the eBay headers so they are all plugged up. The O2 sims are from eBay and I talked to the seller/manufacturer before I purchased them and he claims to own a E46 M3 and said he has tested them in his car and they work great.

I drove the car about 100 miles so far and no SES light yet!
I'll keep you guys updated on this.

Here they are:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...item2a04e47753

Good luck everyone!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
CouldIHaveBeen

My Ride: C5 Z06
Send a message via AIM to CouldIHaveBeen
Nice write up. Sucks that it ended up being so much work but at least you had the means to get them in and make them usable.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
I would of resold them and got a good set lol

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
catchme46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM3 View Post
I would of resold them and got a good set lol
No need to waste money. I made them into a perfect fitting good set!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
wow, i've never heard of a set having fitment that crappy. ive never even heard of anyone having fitment issues with ebay headers besides not lining up with the exhaust perfectly and the occasional not enough space for o2 sensor. im glad u were able 2 fix it, and im glad it didnt happen 2 me.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
s142s14a

My Ride: E46 M3
I just bought a set.. Thanks for the writeup =)
s142s14a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
LITROS

My Ride: 330CD
a small question

which is the function of O2? produces any advantage?

thanks
LITROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
catchme46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITROS View Post
a small question

which is the function of O2? produces any advantage?

thanks
After you remove your cat converters when you replace the header you no longer need the rear post cat O2 sensors, that's why I installed the simulators so I wouldn't get a check engine light.

You still need to run the front pre cat O2 sensors no matter what. These read your exhaust fumes and fuel and other adjustments based on the reading they produce. If you don't have these installed, your car will not run very well at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
i just bought a set as well. will come in tmrw. install over spring break. this thread is subbed. will let you know if i have similar problems.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
catchme46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
i just bought a set as well. will come in tmrw. install over spring break. this thread is subbed. will let you know if i have similar problems.
Good luck! I responded to your PM too.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
nikzbord

My Ride: E46 M3
Intresting.. all the headers I were recommended to on ebay were JVTs..

Goodluck nice write up
nikzbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
LITROS

My Ride: 330CD
[QUOTE = catchme46; 11372166] Después de quitar los conversores de gato cada vez que cambie la cabecera que ya no necesita los sensores de O2 trasera gato post, es por eso que he instalado los simuladores para no obtener la luz del motor del cheque.

Todavía es necesario ejecutar el frente sensores de O2 antes de gato no importa qué. Estos leer sus gases de escape y de combustible y otros ajustes sobre la base de la lectura que producen. Si usted no tiene estas instalado, su coche no funciona muy bien en todos. [/ QUOTE]

I have emptied the exhaust of my car and sometimes they are lit. it may be for this?

I need O2 sensors ???????

thanks for the explanation
LITROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
catchme46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITROS View Post
[QUOTE = catchme46; 11372166] Después de quitar los conversores de gato cada vez que cambie la cabecera que ya no necesita los sensores de O2 trasera gato post, es por eso que he instalado los simuladores para no obtener la luz del motor del cheque.

Todavía es necesario ejecutar el frente sensores de O2 antes de gato no importa qué. Estos leer sus gases de escape y de combustible y otros ajustes sobre la base de la lectura que producen. Si usted no tiene estas instalado, su coche no funciona muy bien en todos. [/ QUOTE]

I have emptied the exhaust of my car and sometimes they are lit. it may be for this?

I need O2 sensors ???????

thanks for the explanation
Yes it's most likely why your SES light is lit. Do you have all your O2 sensor in the header? Or do you just have your fronts in? Since you have no cats, you should get the O2 simulators for the rears so you can get rid of your SES light.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Um. Thanks for all of this... subbed. Will be installing mine spring break as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
jayc

My Ride: 95 m3, 02 s4, 04 325
Great post keep us updated on the o2 sims. When you scan the car do the simulators let the rear o2 read as "ready"?
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
ILLuSioNz X

My Ride: 03 TiAg E46 M3 Coupe
subscribed, good review!
ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
catchme46

Update:

Well the O2 simulator heater portion isn't working. Yesterday I pulled the codes 3 times. The good news is half of it work because it isn't throwing a code for the O2 signal. So my solution is to hook up only the heater wires for the O2 sensors... this means I don't have to install them. So I made a little metal project box that works great. I also debadged my friends WRX so I made sure to put my name on it with the left over letters, lol.

Here's what it looks like on the inside:

Also, anyone want to guess how much of a gain I got from the headers? I have 24/7 access to a DYNO!

My car was like this for 4 days while I installed these damn headers, too bad I couldn't have ridden the 10r in the winter:

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #18
UnO

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
Send a message via Skype™ to UnO
Subbed

Euro headers/Eisenmann race performance 4x83mm//K&N/Powerflex RTAB's/Smoked clear corners/Smoked sides/Black matte grill
UnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
VJ18

My Ride: 04 CB M3
love your idea for the O2 box...
VJ18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
1MEANM3

My Ride: M3
Very nice! I want to see how these sims work out for you.
1MEANM3 is offline   Reply With Quote