E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
OP, I had the UUC TSE3 and put in two 2.25 cats, I'm not sure of the ZHP diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
Your an idiot, don't say sh|t if you don't know. Op I had a zhp with headers and the cats took away a lot of the rasp
MagnaFlow cats make almost no difference in sound or rasp, at least not to my car. Calling someone names because they got different results (probably from using a different product) only makes yourself look less than credible
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
They made a big difference in sound, maybe it was the offset cats, he could have had the random tech ones idk. But it sounded like ass before the cats, they took away almost all of the resonance coming from the engine bay.
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Thanks for the info! I am going to double check when my Headers arrive and look at the diameter. I think its 2 inches as well. If you find the exact cats you used though, Id be very interested to know!

I am for sure going with Cats- I've heard this argument go back and forth, but even if it only cuts down on rasp and sound a little, it worth it for me.

323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR/ CF ACS Mirrors/ M3 Steering Wheel + ZHP Shift Knob
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
ferrarix99

If you don't mind me asking, what made you go with a zhp exhaust and not aftermarket with cats?
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
TiAgTouring

Well I started off wanting just a ZHP Muffler for a little better sound and better looks, but I ended up getting a great condition ZHP Cat-back for $80 and couldn't refuse.

I wanted to do Headers/ Cat-Back Exhaust/ and Cats for less than $500- which is a tall order. I'll be just slightly over that when this project is done.

True the ZHP exhaust won't give me amazing gains, but its a BIG improvement in efficiency and sound over the 323's stock single 2.5 inch pipe. Also, I really like the idea of "Aggressively Stock" and with an Mtech2 front, I will be a little closer to that.

323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR/ CF ACS Mirrors/ M3 Steering Wheel + ZHP Shift Knob
Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Here's a little right up I did a while back about my rasp, might help a little:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...120&highlight=
Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #27
TiAgTouring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
Here's a little right up I did a while back about my rasp, might help a little:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...120&highlight=
Good info I am for sure going to relocate my 02 sensors

So instead of installing the headers and exhaust a few days ago w/o cats like I was supposed to, I've got back to the drawing board...

After talking to my local tech and indy shop, I'm going to go half custom on this exhaust. I need a place to put in cats, and am going to do a X-pipe. (PS, do post-cat 02 sensors do anything for fuel/ air ratio on the engine?)

I'm thinking:

*F1 Autohaus Titanium-color ceramic headers
*custom front exhaust- 2 inch stainless piping
* delete first resonator and install custom X-pipe
*after X-pipe, twin 2 inch magnaflow high-flow cats
* 02 sensor relocate to after cats, w/ defoulers (so no CEL)
* rest of exhaust, including 2nd resonator and muffler will be stock ZHP

Thoughts?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #28
ferrarix99

I have an xpipe I'll send you it's 2.25 I bought it but never used it it's a flowmaster I'll send it for 40 shipped
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #29
ferrarix99

Put the cats right after the headers and an xpipe in place of the section 1 resonator
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #30
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
What does the X-pipe do?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #31
TiAgTouring

helps optimize flow and reduces rasp