E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
2001 x5 4.4

Hey Guys,

My brother is looking into a 2001 X5 4.4. It has 155k on it, but seems to be in really good shape. Are there any major known issues with it? Especially the engine?

Thanks!

Brady

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
AlwayzUnce

My Ride: 128i
Send a message via AIM to AlwayzUnce
^new front bumper and u have the sickest 330ci on the site.. hands down
AlwayzUnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Thanks, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwayzUnce View Post
^new front bumper and u have the sickest 330ci on the site.. hands down
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
My fiancee and I picked up a 2005 X5 4.4 almost 2 years ago and so far so good.

But there are plenty of issues with the 4.4 you'll have to watch out for. The oil separator can freeze and cause hydrolock. Esp if it's a car that has been in a cold weather state. There are well known suspension issues with the air ride. Google self level susp inact. The coolant system has been know to take a crap, esp de to faulty expansion tanks. That's what comes to mind at first thought. But I know there's more I'm forgetting. I posted about this in another thread on here before and DarthBimmer posted some really useful info in another X5 thread in this section. Your best bet might be to check out Xoutpost though. Lots of good info you can research on there.

Personally speaking, we have had 0 problems with our X5 *knocks on wood*. When the self level susp error came on I was fortunately still under warranty and had the dealer replace everything. Oh and I do have a cracked expansion tank now scratch that, we've had minor problems. If you want to talk to someone about major problems, I can put you in touch with them. Another member in the MAR (Mid Atlantic Region) has had ongoing issues with his
Old 02-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Hanks Hiro, sounds exactly like E46 problems. Take care of basic maintenance and there shouldn't be any issues. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
anas

My Ride: E53 4.4I X5
no big issues with my 4.4 , its a beautiful ride , but you can check out xoutpost.com there is a lot of helpful stuff on thar forum.

missing my E46
anas is offline   Reply With Quote