E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #221
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Behr unit is plug and play as well. I don't see how it can't be if it's the same part.

Both Bosch and Behr are OEM units. Make sure to get one of these two, not other companies like Hamburg-Tecnik, etc.

i bought a Hamburg-Tecnik unit. So far so good.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #222
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Hey Ken nice info, Thanks! You should make a DIY thread with step by step info with photos and have it locked.
I did it already with the help of Nervous....

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthr...735&highlight=
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #223
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Sweet! Nice write up, Thanks!
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #224
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

You're welcome. It's rather easy to do. Good time to clean up anything behind the bumper, etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #225
jhyan

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i Sedan
Thanks so much for this... Happy to be rid of the sucking city bus sound!
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #226
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyan View Post
Thanks so much for this... Happy to be rid of the sucking city bus sound!
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #227
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I literally had a long dream that I did this mod on my car. SolidJake was in the dream helping me DIY it but it was one of those epic dreams where you a trying to do something but never can seem to get it done.

It was weird!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #228
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I literally had a long dream that I did this mod on my car. SolidJake was in the dream helping me DIY it but it was one of those epic dreams where you a trying to do something but never can seem to get it done.

It was weird!

Maybe you couldn't finish because it was really a vision to the future. Since you hadn't actually done this swap before you couldn't perceive the outcome of the install. Maybe Jake had the same dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #229
warrior2005

My Ride: 05 325Ci
Ok, I gotta ask...what is this bus sound you guys are talking about? I'm not hearing it
warrior2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #230
ribri02

My Ride: 01 325ci
The sound a mechanical clutch fan makes when fully engaged. It sounds like a freakin semi-truck at a green light.
ribri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #231
polychrome

My Ride: 2002 325i
Did this mod over the weekend. Definitely not going back to the stock setup. Thanks kpeng!
polychrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #232
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychrome View Post
Did this mod over the weekend. Definitely not going back to the stock setup. Thanks kpeng!
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #233
delmarco

I'm next Kpeng! Doing this next month after my coolant maintenance service this Friday. When I do the fan I will upgrade to a Stewart Water Pump for good measure.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #234
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
I also want to do this mod. I'm tired of my fan sounding like a jet engine. I'm gonna use it as time to also do my belt tensioner. Not sure if the problem is just the belt needing to be replaced or if its the entire hydraulic mechanism, but it squeals every now and then on a cold start, but its always random. I've never done any kind of mechanical work on my car before, but the fan doesn't seem that difficult.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #235
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Ok, just a couple of thoughts here. I was chatting with Olaf today & told him that my weird noise/vibration @ 2k to 3k rpm has been solved. I had to submit & take it to an x-bmw tech to help me on this one. It was the exhaust manifold heat shield blowing in the wind from the mechanical fan!

On the flip side of that, when a mechanical clutch is fully engaged, that's when it should be silent.

So, putting these two thoughts together, are you really sure the sounds are coming from you fan clutch, or could something be blowing / rattleing around you engine compartment?

Just wondering.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #236
ribri02

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
On the flip side of that, when a mechanical clutch is fully engaged, that's when it should be silent.
How do you figure? When the clutch fan is fully engaged, it is moving at roughly the same speed as the crank and pulling a massive amount of air through the radiator. This is the bus noise everyone refers to...
ribri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #237
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribri02 View Post
How do you figure? When the clutch fan is fully engaged, it is moving at roughly the same speed as the crank and pulling a massive amount of air through the radiator. This is the bus noise everyone refers to...
Hi, I was refering to teh comment in post #230 "The sound a mechanical clutch fan makes when fully engaged."

The clutch should be silent. I agree that the fan / air turbulence will be loud.

I think the electric fan is quieter due to the improved fan blade design, not because it's electric.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #238
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
I also want to do this mod. I'm tired of my fan sounding like a jet engine. I'm gonna use it as time to also do my belt tensioner. Not sure if the problem is just the belt needing to be replaced or if its the entire hydraulic mechanism, but it squeals every now and then on a cold start, but its always random. I've never done any kind of mechanical work on my car before, but the fan doesn't seem that difficult.
This is the secondary air pump you are hearing. It sounds exactly like a jet engine and it can get really loud when it is about to fail. It also sits on rubber mounts that could go bad and break over time (like it has done in my car) and cause the pump to shake and vibrate thus making the sound louder.

It could be an issue that your pump is staying on longer than it should if you are hearing it all the time. The pump on/off function, I believe, is regulated by the engine temperature, O2 sensors, and current emission output.

That said the pulleys will rattle and squeak (like a very dry sound) when old.

Belts as far as I can tell don't make much noise when they are old.

Fan clutches I cant say but I think the little Aux fan does get annoyingly loud and heavy sounding (like a UPS truck) when it needs to be replaced.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #239
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Steve, just do the swap already. Take my word for it....
Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #240
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Ok, just a couple of thoughts here. I was chatting with Olaf today & told him that my weird noise/vibration @ 2k to 3k rpm has been solved.
Just wondering.
Steve,
Do you still consider the fan swap after reading thru all these pages? Let me know because I may be road tripping it out to Ontario soon and would bring one up for you.