E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #261
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Have you driven it in the summer, or is this a new install? I realize it is still warm in Florida, but have you had it on long enough to see 100+ degree days? Also, will leaving the still functional pusher fan in place interfere with the airflow from this fan, or is it designed to work without one? I only ask because you mentioned removing yours.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #262
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
I assume those that did the swap are auto's.
How did your guys a/c perform in the summer?
Did it start blowing hot air from the lack of cooling the condencer when stopped?
What about your trans, any shifting issues?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #263
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Have you driven it in the summer, or is this a new install? I realize it is still warm in Florida, but have you had it on long enough to see 100+ degree days? Also, will leaving the still functional pusher fan in place interfere with the airflow from this fan, or is it designed to work without one? I only ask because you mentioned removing yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshorty View Post
Did it start blowing hot air from the lack of cooling the condencer when stopped?
I have been driving my car pretty much 5+ days a week since I did the swap. ZERO issues. The fan cools off everything sufficiently, temp gauge always dead center. Like I said, honestly THE best thing I did to my car. Smoother idle, no truck sound, less drag on the engine, weight reduction and no way it will explode and cause a lot of damage.

I had my stupid mechanical fan blow up TWICE! Of course I did change the engine mounts that were causing it, but the aux/mechanical fan combo is horrendous. And finally, I do have an automatic. Zero issues with the transmission locking up, lagging, etc. Just do it. The a/c works flawless as well.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #264
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
I did drive in summer, and I even monitored the engine temp during very hot days. No problems at all, neither with engine temp nor with A/C.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #265
Marinerd

My Ride: 09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
The biggest deterrent to me for this mod is I have to take off the Front bumper to take out the aux fan.
Its actually not as difficult as you may think. I thought the same till i did it. Really quick.
Marinerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #266
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
So I have to ask about the pic in your sig Olaf ... what did you guys break so bad that all three of you had to go to the shop to get it fixed?
hahaha.
It was a "working" BMW meet. Where we all meet up at Doug's (dmax) hometown local auto shop called IMG and worked on our cars at the shop under the careful supervision of the shop mechanics. I replaced my control arms/sway bar links and bushings, Jake replaced his f+r suspension/shocks, lots of NJ members came it to get codes read and interpreted, Manix replaced the entire cooling system on his M3.

It was a great day and we learned a lot from being our own mechanics and using professional shop equipment. Doug and everyone at the shop was really friendly and knowledgeable as well.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #267
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by azshorty View Post
The only big black question mark that was never understood was:

Why did the BMW Steptronic Automatic cars all come with two fans up until around 2006?

The possible answer or best anyone could come up with was the Steptronic Automatic transmission required some extra cooling hence the extra fan.
But the question still begs is why did BMW abandon the fan in 2006 with the advent of the E90 and the E60 M54 engine facelift? Did they realize the extra fan was not required?

Terraphantm a while back found some pertinent information relating the relevance of having a second fan to regulate transmission temperature since M3 cars all have the two fans.

But that discussion was not followed up because candidates doing the swap are not doing it on an M3.

As for M54 engine transmission cooling and long term effects I can't say.

Kpeng is the only member I know whom has driven with this mod in his car the longest and he has driven his car daily for a number of years in the hottest/most humid place in the USA (Florida). Another member has driven for over a year in Phoenix Arizona, the hottest/driest place in the USA, with this mod and had no issues.

Both claim that they had no issue with engine temp or tranny temp in all that time so based on their experiences I don't think it will be an issue for anyone living and driving in cooler regions.

The AC compressor is not driven by the fan but it is driven by the fan belts. In theory the AC compressor should perform slightly better because we are removing about 5+ lbs out of the belt drive system when we remove the mechanical fan.

Said and done the entire DIY is 1000000% reversible if after a couple of days you find your car is going bananas. Even if you can't return/refund your electric fan after changing your mind you can sure sell it on eBay for easily what you paid for it.

Also the DIY pays for itself when you sell your old mechanical fan and aux fan assembly. Both on their own each are easily worth $75 to $100 and carry a high demand.

Last edited by delmarco; 10-27-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #268
be-doubleyou

My Ride: 02 325ci
I did this a while back when my clutch fan went out and it was a great option. I haven't had any issues with temps and I DD my car in Socal and see plenty of 100+ days. Took me about an hour to complete the whole swap and i'm very glad I did.

be-doubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #269
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Another member has driven for over a year in Phoenix Arizona, the hottest/driest place in the USA, with this mod and had no issues.
That would be me.

As noted before, I've driven a ways over 15,000 miles since doing this mod in Aug of 2010. This was done on my touring, which is a step auto. I've done plenty of manual "shifting" and really haven't noticed any issues.

I'd also done some tests via the OBC to monitor coolant temps during some 110+ days out here last summer and noted it in the DIY thread regarding this mod. Never was able to figure out a way to measure the tranny temp though.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #270
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #271
mistik20071

My Ride: 328 ci
Okay planning of doing this mod.

Reasons:
-I started to hear a scratchy/dry like noise (first thought) was maybe the belts or pulleys, don't know which ones.
-Second I saw that the fan wobbled, thus hitting the fan shroud (don't know if it's the water pump) ... lets say if it was, if I get this swap, would i still have to fix that?

Sorry I haven't really touched the engine.

btw car has 170,000 + miles
E46 328ci M52

Thanks in advance
mistik20071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #272
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistik20071 View Post
Okay planning of doing this mod.

Reasons:
-I started to hear a scratchy/dry like noise (first thought) was maybe the belts or pulleys, don't know which ones.
-Second I saw that the fan wobbled, thus hitting the fan shroud (don't know if it's the water pump) ... lets say if it was, if I get this swap, would i still have to fix that?

Sorry I haven't really touched the engine.

btw car has 170,000 + miles
E46 328ci M52

Thanks in advance

welcome.

yeah but a new water pump as well when you do the diy. the pump is fairly easy to remover once you get the fan out.

here is a good write up:

http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #273
mistik20071

My Ride: 328 ci
so you recommend for a water pump replacement?
mistik20071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #274
ribri02

My Ride: 01 325ci
Stewart WP - lifetime warranty

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...y_Code=BMWHPWP
ribri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #275
zooter2002

Has anyone just left the Aux fan in and used it too with the new electric fan as a backup? could it be wired to kick on only when the A/c is running? It takes longer to take out the Aux fan than swapping the mech for the electric anyday..
Just some random thoughts.
zooter2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #276
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Has anyone just left the Aux fan in and used it too with the new electric fan as a backup? could it be wired to kick on only when the A/c is running? It takes longer to take out the Aux fan than swapping the mech for the electric anyday..
Just some random thoughts.
The BMW fan logic, wiring, etc supports one electric fan. If you want to leave the pusher fan in place and rewire it to a relay or something, have a blast. Popping the front bumper off, removing the fan, and putting it back sounds more daunting than it really is. Plus, by removing the pusher fan, you're giving more of the radiator cores direct access to cooling air.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #277
zooter2002

I have already had to replace my front aux fan once and its not bad, just not fun.. I kinda figured removing the front fan would help airflow. Its gonna be my next mod with my underdrive pulleys..
zooter2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #278
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Most things I read have simply stated that the BMW electric fan is "plug and play" as a replacement for the mechanical fan in the automatic cars. To me this implied I just swapped them, but as I read through this thread I just need to confirm,

1. Manual cars did not come with an AUX fan.
2. When you refer to auto cars coming with "two fans" you are referring to the aux fan and the clutch fan.
3. When you swap the mechanical fan for the electrical fan, you cannot continue to run the aux fan and must remove it.

Am I correct in these three statements?
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #279
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Most things I read have simply stated that the BMW electric fan is "plug and play" as a replacement for the mechanical fan in the automatic cars. To me this implied I just swapped them, but as I read through this thread I just need to confirm,

1. Manual cars did not come with an AUX fan.
2. When you refer to auto cars coming with "two fans" you are referring to the aux fan and the clutch fan.
3. When you swap the mechanical fan for the electrical fan, you cannot continue to run the aux fan and must remove it.

Am I correct in these three statements?
Yes.

The one exception is the M3, which has a clutch fan and an electric pusher fan.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #280
_TG_

My Ride: 320i
I have a manual e46 (98/09) with two fans. On the first pages of this thread somebody wrote that the swap is not possible for before 98/10 cars and SPAL fan is the only option.
What is exactly the issue on these early models that makes the swap not possible?
_TG_ is offline   Reply With Quote