E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #141
theinfamousdrew

My Ride: 911 Turbo / E70
i have a question.....

I was able to find a free electric fan....however the module is blown....

My question is....can i swap the control modules from my a/c fan to the electric fan?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #142
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Like Jake inquired earlier in this thread I am also interested in keeping BOTH the pusher and the new electric fan operational. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?

Also, it wasnt mentioned whether the thermostat for the aux fan functions the SAME or IS THE SAME as the thermostat for the elec fan on Manual cars. i.e. does the aux fan's themo monitor tranny fluid or coolant and does it cut in at the same temp?
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #143
AnRman

My Ride: 2002 330I
There is no reason to have both fans involved. I recently came from a Trailblazer SS with an LS2 motor. One of the 1st things I did was replace the mechanical fan with an e-fan. If you do any research, you will find that transmission was very susceptible to overheating and failure. After almost 100K miles, I had no cooling issues at all. What was even better was that we did a dyno pull before and after the swap and I gained 10 RWHP just replacing the m-fan with an e-fan. I'm looking forward to investigating this swap further. It seems too easy on the E46 since I had to tune the TB for this application. The end result was that I was pushing 350 HP and 350 lbs of torque. E-fan will work just fine!
http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts...7561757-BOSCH-

Last edited by AnRman; 12-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.
AnRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #144
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnRman View Post
Linky no worky--fixed!
Code:
http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts/Cooling-Fan-Assembly-(suction-fan)-E46-1098-05-All-except-M3-(only-if-equipped)__17117561757-BOSCH-ID-983E210.aspx
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #145
AnRman

My Ride: 2002 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Linky no worky--fixed!
Code:
http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts/Cooling-Fan-Assembly-(suction-fan)-E46-1098-05-All-except-M3-(only-if-equipped)__17117561757-BOSCH-ID-983E210.aspx
thanks
AnRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #146
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Can this be done on the M3?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #147
RentonTDI

My Ride: 2007 Subaru Impreza
First of all: Ken, thanks for the write up. I'm a noob, transitioning from the VW/TDI and Subaru world, into an E46. Clear and detailed write-ups like this, are priceless additions to all the DIYs/Maintenance threads.

Regarding the observation made by Sansho on the coolant, I found this excerpt from a training manual:

The training manual came from this thread (courtesy of shanneba):http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=813901

or, click on "Automatic Transmissions" at this link: http://www.bmwtech.ru/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
So, I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but found it interesting. Using the diagram below which shows the auto transmission cooling setup... Note that the coolant which is routed to the auto transmission heat exchanger includes the the heated coolant from the engine along with the coolant exiting the heater. That means the transmission fluid has to be hotter than the mixture coming from the engine in order to cool the transmission. So, with hot coolant cooling the transmission fluid, I wonder why BMW continued to use a fan/clutch on automatics?
RentonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #148
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Also, it wasnt mentioned whether the thermostat for the aux fan functions the SAME or IS THE SAME as the thermostat for the elec fan on Manual cars. i.e. does the aux fan's themo monitor tranny fluid or coolant and does it cut in at the same temp?
The cooling management system assumes that there is one electrical fan, whether a pusher fan on an automatic or a puller fan on a manual transmission. It uses several inputs to decide when to turn the fan on, including the coolant temp (lower radiator hose sensor), calculated catalyst temp, speed, battery voltage, and calc'd a/c pressure.

That's why the electrical conversion to a mechanical fan is so quick ... you're disconnecting the front pusher fan connector and plugging in the new puller fan. All cooling management functions remain the same.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #149
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
The cooling management system assumes that there is one electrical fan, whether a pusher fan on an automatic or a puller fan on a manual transmission. It uses several inputs to decide when to turn the fan on, including the coolant temp (lower radiator hose sensor), calculated catalyst temp, speed, battery voltage, and calc'd a/c pressure.

That's why the electrical conversion to a mechanical fan is so quick ... you're disconnecting the front pusher fan connector and plugging in the new puller fan. All cooling management functions remain the same.
Excellent! Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #150
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
i have a question.....

I was able to find a free electric fan....however the module is blown....

My question is....can i swap the control modules from my a/c fan to the electric fan?
You can indeed do this , however the wires going to the fan will need to be reversed , else you'll suck air from the engine and push through the rad.
Also the connector from the module might not be long enough to sit in th plastic cowl(just stripe it down?)

The module has 3 inputs , +12v GND and a trigger.
The ECU sends a OSCILATING trigger to the fan control module which then gives +12v to the fan.
GND to fan is always on.

What you need to do is pry the holding tabs on the fan control module open and loosen the wire(dunno if bmw glue this or something but mine just came loose) then reverse the wire with the other side and close the tabs.

Last edited by SweTurbo; 01-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #151
KENT

My Ride: Leased Astra 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
I don't like humiliating people, I just have a low tolerance for people who lack common sense, reading ability, and general human functionality. You humiliated yourself by saying we have 3 fans, and then being incapable of reading post #1 because this thread is 5 pages long. That's like someone asking you to look at the cover of a book, and you saying you can't do it because it's 300 pages long...

That being said, you have your answer. See ya!

As an update for everyone else, I've put a couple thousand miles on the car (in the city), with just the electric fan, and I've yet to have an issue.

Ok that is the funniest post I have read in years.No disrespect to anybody but I was reading through the 5 first pages and it was clear in my mind what the swap consisted of.But the questions were so funny that i kept reading and that answer is a killer one .

Cheers

Kent
KENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #152
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENT View Post
Ok that is the funniest post I have read in years.No disrespect to anybody but I was reading through the 5 first pages and it was clear in my mind what the swap consisted of.But the questions were so funny that i kept reading and that answer is a killer one .

Cheers

Kent

Oh, and to the people who thought my auto would blow up...I've been driving the car hard every weekend since I've swapped this. It hasn't missed a beat.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #153
Handsome Kev

My Ride: 328
Ken does this works on m52 engines as well?
Handsome Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #154
aosipian

My Ride: 328I, E46
Had me conversion nearly a year now ( M52TU engine). No issues with my auto tranny. This is a great mod
| Rays Eng. Volk Progre Me 18"|KoniFSD/Eibach Pro Kit| MTECH II Front | MTECH I Rear | CCFL AE | Rear LEDs| Blackout Grill | Shadowline Window Trims| Magnaflow Muffler | Twotone- Alcantara/Leather Interior | Perforated Leather Sport Steering Wheel | Smoke Corners | Complete Audio Overhaul | Mechanical to Electric Fan |M5 Style Mirrors |M Pedal Covers|Piano Black Interior Trims|M3 Rear Lip Spoiler | Silver Gauge Rings |
aosipian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #155
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Kev View Post
Ken does this works on m52 engines as well?
Yes
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #156
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
I did this over a month ago, and it was very easy. You guys are WAY overthinking this. Just order the part number posted.

You do not need or want the A/C e-fan along with the new puller e-fan. The first thing that I noticed when pulling the A/C e-fan off was that with it's shrouded design and all the other shrouding up there, it was restricting air flow when the car was moving. With it off, and some of the shrouding off, the radiator sees much more natural air flow when the car is moving. So don't panic, and don't try to MAKE both e-fans fit.

Also, I had another plug/box on top of my mechanical fan shroud. It just pulled off and transfered directly to the new puller e-fan shroud. I had to look it up to find out what it was. It is the sensor for the A/C auto recirculation air feature. So it's the sniffer to determine if the A/C needs to use the dirty outside air or just use cabin air.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #157
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hey Ken, I was taking out my aux fan just now, the wiring that goes to the control box to the fan looks like it's soldered? and then the two wires going to the fan itself look to be the same. How do I get the aux fan off and plug the wiring to the electric fan?

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #158
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Hey Ken, I was taking out my aux fan just now, the wiring that goes to the control box to the fan looks like it's soldered? and then the two wires going to the fan itself look to be the same. How do I get the aux fan off and plug the wiring to the electric fan?
Hmm...can you take a pic?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #159
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
The plug is behind the radiator. Pop the hood and look on the fan shroud left side.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #160
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yea, I got it before you called me. All is well. Electric fan is in Behr brand, paid 175 new

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote