E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330ci 2004 ImolaRed
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91
Another Oil Leak Thread

I am really really sorry for hitting the new thread button, but I wanted to just make this threat a source for someone else and also a thread where I can get some expert advice from the nice folks on this site and the hilarious comments the rest of the scumbags come up with. love it all haha

Just want to start out by saying that I have an 2004 (facelift) Imola Red E46 330ci. I have owned it since ~150K miles and currently have about 171K on it. For as long as I can remember I've read and heard that these cars or the M54 engines sometimes DO burn oil. (even if they are not suppose to, mine does) I noticed the black rim around my exhaust pipe and have just learned to deal with it. But recently, Ive been putting alot of oil in my engine because the yellow oil light has been coming on more and more often. Sometimes during the drive , other times after i get home and shut off the car. The great people on the forums have claimed its a good idea to at least have a quart of oil with you at all times, and so I keep it and use it as necessary.

I also have a Honda Accord 2003 V6 LX and that has seen enough miles and so that car and my 330ci sit in the drive on random spots. I started noticing all these oil spots on my drive way and just figured IT HAD to be from the accord because that car has had its share of problems and so an oil leak might just be another one.

But something possessed me to take a clean cardboard and stick it under my e46 and what I found has me thinking I should have done this a long time ago.

I will attach the video I saw after i put the cardboard down and a video I made just to let people see what to look out for in their drive way and just to show what I THINK a clean (NON OILY) engine should look like.

This is a great source with a LOT of information :
Guide to Checking your BMW E46 E39 E53 E83 Oil Level and diagnosising Oil leaks

This is the video I made. I apologize for the lack of the ability to form proper sentences and knowledge and MOSTLY all the shaking... it was cold. MY BRAIN STOPPED working INSTANTLY lol

SPOTS on YOUR DRIVE WAY LOOK LIKE THIS?

So HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS. and FEEL free to A: HELP OUT or B tell me to stop being a NOOB and use the Search button which I gladly will. BUT if someone just knows the info of the top of their heads its always greatly appreciated

1. my engine is burning oil, WILL changing the viscosity of the oil help?
(currently use Mobile Full synthetic 5W30)
2. can the oil lighting coming and going be the result of a bad oil sensor.
-I did read this @ bimmerfest

"If it comes on yellow when the car is turned off - you are low on oil and should check the oil level and add oil if needed when you can, like at the next fuel up.
If it comes on yellow while driving- you are at the min oil level and need to check the oil level and add oil within 30 miles.

If it comes on yellow after the car is started and the oil level is correct - your sensor is out and needs to be replaced.

If it comes on red - stop now! your oil pressure is below minimum.
"

I would like to think the sensor is okay due to the fact that once the light comes on, after turning off the car and back on, the ight is gone and often times for days. BUT I also have seen it go away after topping off with more oil. so I AM IN SOO MUCH confusion its UNFAIR-___-

with that, I will stop for now and go forward and post after I have made some progress.

There are few more things I've done to my car and few more maintenance related questions I have which i will address later on. so please feel free to spark a convo here hahaa

thank you all in advance
-smith

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

Post*

E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
dynavin w/ android

Old 03-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
Pole position

My Ride: E46 330ci
Wondering the same thing, saw new llo1 approved Castrol European formula 0-40 in autozone today. Usually just use the 0-30

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Wondering the same thing, saw new llo1 approved Castrol European formula 0-40 in autozone today. Usually just use the 0-30

i believe the 2nd number so like the 20 30 40 after the w's are the viscosity of the oil and the 1st number i think is the temperature rating ... so im not sure if u want to make drastic moves like that bro. I mean at the end of the day its ur baby so do as you wish but if i wasnt so sure id be careful. ESPECIALLY getting some crap from autozone. I was told by a mechanic to leave the old spark-plugs in there rather than get em from autozone... so idk how smart those autozone guys are and how good their stuff is. I also went there to get my battery chcked just so they can tell me my starter / alt might be bad. as it turned out. BOTH my starter and alt were in PERFECT condition. IT WAS JST A BAD BATTERY. just my 0.02c brother.

E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
dynavin w/ android

Last edited by lilmenace91; 03-19-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
Pole position

Another Oil Leak Thread

It's castrol made in Germany, ll01 approved, full synthetic 0-40 oil. How can autozone make it bad? Just thought it would be good to stop older engines from burning so much oil.
The Mobil 1 5-30 your are using isn't even bmw approved...

Last edited by Pole position; 03-19-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
It's castrol made in Germany, ll01 approved, full synthetic 0-40 oil. How can autozone make it bad? Just thought it would be good to stop older engines from burning so much oil.

oh no i was under the assumption that autozone was trying to sell u some random crap. so 0-40 full synthetic is what you use or plan on using?

E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
dynavin w/ android

Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
Pole position

Yeah it's the German castrol that everybody raves about, but in 0-40 form. I think it will help our used engines burn a bit less oil. I'm gunna try it out next time I change my oil. I don't see any downside to it.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Oil use by the M54 engine has been discussed at length. The primary culprit seems to be the crankcase ventilation system (CCV). This system recycles crankcase fumes (oil & water vapor) into the intake manifold where they are burned by the engine. So, if the CCV hasn't been changed in ~90k miles I think it's safe to say your CCV needs to be changed.

Oil brands and viscosities have been discussed to death on this and other forums. The oil you're using does not meet BMW's "LL-01" standards. PERIOD. If you want to continue to use Mobil 1 oil, then you need to use Mobil 1 0W-40 as it's the only Mobil 1 oil that meets the "LL-01" standard. I've been using this oil in my car (and my '85 325e) for decades. Otherwise, buy an oil that has the "LL-01" imprimatur on the label.

The oil leak is most likely the oil filter housing (OFH) gasket. This is a cheap part, and replacing it and the CCV at the same time is recommended. Hint: remove the OFH first as this makes the replacement of the CCV and its associated hoses much easier.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The yellow oil light is probably the oil level sender. Buy a sender made by Hella on amazon. Change it when you next change your oil.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
choxor

My Ride: JDM
wall of text. What are the cliffs.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmenace91 View Post
I am really really sorry for hitting the new thread button, but I wanted to just make this threat a source for someone else and also a thread where I can get some expert advice from the nice folks on this site and the hilarious comments the rest of the scumbags come up with. love it all haha

Just want to start out by saying that I have an 2004 (facelift) Imola Red E46 330ci. I have owned it since ~150K miles and currently have about 171K on it. For as long as I can remember I've read and heard that these cars or the M54 engines sometimes DO burn oil. (even if they are not suppose to, mine does) I noticed the black rim around my exhaust pipe and have just learned to deal with it. But recently, Ive been putting alot of oil in my engine because the yellow oil light has been coming on more and more often. Sometimes during the drive , other times after i get home and shut off the car. The great people on the forums have claimed its a good idea to at least have a quart of oil with you at all times, and so I keep it and use it as necessary.

I also have a Honda Accord 2003 V6 LX and that has seen enough miles and so that car and my 330ci sit in the drive on random spots. I started noticing all these oil spots on my drive way and just figured IT HAD to be from the accord because that car has had its share of problems and so an oil leak might just be another one.

But something possessed me to take a clean cardboard and stick it under my e46 and what I found has me thinking I should have done this a long time ago.

I will attach the video I saw after i put the cardboard down and a video I made just to let people see what to look out for in their drive way and just to show what I THINK a clean (NON OILY) engine should look like.

This is a great source with a LOT of information :
Guide to Checking your BMW E46 E39 E53 E83 Oil Level and diagnosising Oil leaks

This is the video I made. I apologize for the lack of the ability to form proper sentences and knowledge and MOSTLY all the shaking... it was cold. MY BRAIN STOPPED working INSTANTLY lol

SPOTS on YOUR DRIVE WAY LOOK LIKE THIS?

So HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS. and FEEL free to A: HELP OUT or B tell me to stop being a NOOB and use the Search button which I gladly will. BUT if someone just knows the info of the top of their heads its always greatly appreciated

1. my engine is burning oil, WILL changing the viscosity of the oil help?
(currently use Mobile Full synthetic 5W30)
2. can the oil lighting coming and going be the result of a bad oil sensor.
-I did read this @ bimmerfest

"If it comes on yellow when the car is turned off - you are low on oil and should check the oil level and add oil if needed when you can, like at the next fuel up.
If it comes on yellow while driving- you are at the min oil level and need to check the oil level and add oil within 30 miles.

If it comes on yellow after the car is started and the oil level is correct - your sensor is out and needs to be replaced.

If it comes on red - stop now! your oil pressure is below minimum.
"

I would like to think the sensor is okay due to the fact that once the light comes on, after turning off the car and back on, the ight is gone and often times for days. BUT I also have seen it go away after topping off with more oil. so I AM IN SOO MUCH confusion its UNFAIR-___-

with that, I will stop for now and go forward and post after I have made some progress.

There are few more things I've done to my car and few more maintenance related questions I have which i will address later on. so please feel free to spark a convo here hahaa

thank you all in advance
-smith
Again M1 5W30 doesn't meet spec but I'm sure you know that.....
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
With 170k miles, 5w30 is a bit light even if it meets the LL01 specification. Depending on where the oil is going, increasing the viscosity should help it to stay in the engine longer. I would be using a 10w30 or 10w40 and see if it helps to reduce the consumption rate.

The Yellow Oil Light means that the car thinks the oil level is low. YOU MUST CONFIRM THIS BY PHYSICALLY CHECKING THE OIL ON THE DIPSTICK.

The yellow light does not mean the oil is low, it means you need to check the oil level. Park the car and stop the engine. Pull the dipstick and wipe it clean, put it back in then pull it again and read it. If the oil is anywhere between the MIN and MAX marks, it is okay. If the oil level is okay and the yellow oil light is coming on, then the oil level sensor is failing. The typical (most common) failure mode of the oil level sending unit is that the yellow oil light will come on shortly after engine start, remain on for a few seconds, then go out. The pattern for this on my daughter's car was that the light would come on about 30 - 45 seconds after engine start, remain on for about 30 - 45 seconds, then go off. Her car was never low on oil, so we never saw this light come on at any other time.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
this ^^ about the yellow light..if it is is indeed the sensor, replace on the next oil change with a hella unit, and while you down there take a look up and check for any oil drips, and where they come from..

another thing to keep in mind is that it could be very well be a leak, maybe not from the VCG but from other known spots like the OFHG, or the CCV.

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Oil use by the M54 engine has been discussed at length. The primary culprit seems to be the crankcase ventilation system (CCV). This system recycles crankcase fumes (oil & water vapor) into the intake manifold where they are burned by the engine. So, if the CCV hasn't been changed in ~90k miles I think it's safe to say your CCV needs to be changed.

Oil brands and viscosities have been discussed to death on this and other forums. The oil you're using does not meet BMW's "LL-01" standards. PERIOD. If you want to continue to use Mobil 1 oil, then you need to use Mobil 1 0W-40 as it's the only Mobil 1 oil that meets the "LL-01" standard. I've been using this oil in my car (and my '85 325e) for decades. Otherwise, buy an oil that has the "LL-01" imprimatur on the label.

The oil leak is most likely the oil filter housing (OFH) gasket. This is a cheap part, and replacing it and the CCV at the same time is recommended. Hint: remove the OFH first as this makes the replacement of the CCV and its associated hoses much easier.

@ markusmarkus and everyone else who pitched in, I went to the mechanic today and he is a good friend of mine and he informed me that the problem he is seeing is from the OFH and changing the gasket should take care of the issue. Well if I am going that deep into the engine bay I would also like to try to eliminate the oil burning issue by changing the CCV and see if that helps the oil burning issue. I read that it should be changed at about 90k so @170K its well over due and cant hurt to change any way.

I did watch a DIY CCV video @**** *****and noticed that the hoes seem to be in terrible condition as shown by this fine scholar @ 9:04 to 9:23 and so my e46 being a 2004 and being in NORTH JERSEY (north-east ISH) area where summers are very HOT and winters are FREEZING cold, is it also a good idea to change these hoes?*insert dirty joke here* or can i just reuse them until they rip.(id rather not because i am going to have to deal with this fiasco again n i dnt want to do that)

again all the responses and inputs are greattt thnkx=]

E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
dynavin w/ android

Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
replaced all ccv hoses with OEM if possible. is something that you won't have to deal in the future, plus is so much easier to do since you are also replacing the OFGH..

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #16
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

i love this forum #justsayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
replaced all ccv hoses with OEM if possible. is something that you won't have to deal in the future, plus is so much easier to do since you are also replacing the OFGH..
quick question. Difference between OEM vs Aftermarket ? --- anyone hear of aftermarket stuff weather better than or even outlasting OEM?

peep these.

OEM KIT

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_CC...itoeme46cc.htm

vs

Aftermarket

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_CC...skitae46cc.htm

id like to save as much as i can... but not at the expense of having defective parts. I am willing to spend more for OEM but is OEM actually better in this case?

also picking up this thing

Oil Filter Housing Gasket

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Oi...1719855e46.htm

totals about 150~ ... can anyone think of anything else i should just order while i m at it?

E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
dynavin w/ android

Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
With 170k miles, 5w30 is a bit light even if it meets the LL01 specification. Depending on where the oil is going, increasing the viscosity should help it to stay in the engine longer. I would be using a 10w30 or 10w40 and see if it helps to reduce the consumption rate.

The Yellow Oil Light means that the car thinks the oil level is low. YOU MUST CONFIRM THIS BY PHYSICALLY CHECKING THE OIL ON THE DIPSTICK.

The yellow light does not mean the oil is low, it means you need to check the oil level. Park the car and stop the engine. Pull the dipstick and wipe it clean, put it back in then pull it again and read it. If the oil is anywhere between the MIN and MAX marks, it is okay. If the oil level is okay and the yellow oil light is coming on, then the oil level sensor is failing. The typical (most common) failure mode of the oil level sending unit is that the yellow oil light will come on shortly after engine start, remain on for a few seconds, then go out. The pattern for this on my daughter's car was that the light would come on about 30 - 45 seconds after engine start, remain on for about 30 - 45 seconds, then go off. Her car was never low on oil, so we never saw this light come on at any other time.
Why do you think 10W30 is thicker then 5W30??
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Why do you think 10W30 is thicker then 5W30??
was actually wondering the same thing... but just decided to look the other way when someone told me i should use 0w40 that meets the BMW's "LL-01" standards.

E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
dynavin w/ android

Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #19
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmenace91 View Post
was actually wondering the same thing... but just decided to look the other way when someone told me i should use 0w40 that meets the BMW's "LL-01" standards.
It just proves he still doesn't understand oil.