E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
tonyisok

My Ride: 323i Sedan
Car will not start

Went to try to start car other day and got a big surprise....nothing....

I turned the key and dashboard lights illuminate but nothing else...no clicking, no cranking sounds at all....

I tried jumping battery and that didn't work; took battery for testing thinking that was the problem and battery tested "good"....

Re-installed battery and tried starting car using different keys up to and including plastic valet key...same results; car that will not start...

I was able to push start car, but was unable to restart car using any key...This starter is only 4yrs old....

Could it be clutch safety switch or is it the starter....usually they begin to click when they are dying....this was a sudden death with the sole exception that the night before the car sorta acted like a cold weather start a bit sluggish and then the next morning absolute silence?????
tonyisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
barry8108

My Ride: 00 323i,1995 840 740
Just had the same problem yesterday with my 2000 323i. Drove it to the store. came back, hour later nothing, only dash lights. Ordered a starter, but if anyone has anything else i could use the advice.
barry8108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
If you guys haven't seen this check it out

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011677
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
tonyisok

We Meet Again....Thanks SolidJake.....Thanks for the link...

Was able to verify with multimeter battery running 12.76....

Confirmed with test light power reaching starter (still silent running when attempting start...nothing)

One last piece; was able to open and close sunroof...can roll windows up/down; operate radio; headlights; but no go on sunroof...

Will start with Replacing Starter

Last edited by tonyisok; 08-08-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
BMANN405

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Car will not start

Possible ignition switch? I'd try that first b4 tackling the starter. They r not to expensive & fairly easy to replace.

Never mind. I just read that u r getting power to the starter.

Last edited by BMANN405; 08-08-2015 at 07:42 PM.
BMANN405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:20 AM   #6
thinkpad240

My Ride: 2000 328ci sport pk
I'm not an expert. The other day, my car won't start as though the battery was dead, but I got some lights on by try turning the key to the 2nd position( and leave it there for 5-7 seconds); that is the position before the final key turning to crank the engine. That's how I got my car started the other day. I called and went directly to a local indie shop nearby where they full tested the battery and found part of the battery cell is dead; which also probably explained the power fluctuations I experienced for the past several weeks. My alternator(after red icon light came on) was replaced some weeks ago and the battery replaced after this happened. So that took care of my problems.

Last edited by thinkpad240; 08-10-2015 at 04:22 AM.
thinkpad240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
tonyisok

I took battery out of car to autozone and battery tested good.

Thinking problem is solenoid as I confirmed power getting to starter/solenoid, but there is dead silence when I turn the key. I think the solenoid activates the starter...no activation of start and car stays dead...

I will remove starter and take and have unit tested to see what aspect of part is defective.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
tonyisok

Installing new starter....not fun, much easier to do when replacing clutch....It would have been an act of kindness for BMW to mount starter to lower portion of flywheel...Took starter to both O'riely's and Autozone and part tested bad....no activity from solenoid; complete silence.

Last edited by tonyisok; 08-13-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisok View Post
Installing new starter....not fun, much easier to do when replacing clutch....It would have been an act of kindness for BMW to mount starter to lower portion of flywheel...Took starter to both O'riely's and Autozone and part tested bad....no activity from solenoid; complete silence.
Don't forget to get a NEW starter if you can. Remanufactured AutoZone starters and the like aren't the best.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
JVLux281

My Ride: 325i
Get your Starter rebuilt. Forget autozone.
JVLux281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
tonyisok

Starter replacement completed...remanufactured from BMA auto parts....Car starts right up. When I re-did my clutch I replaced the starter then (4yrs ago); it was much easier...like putting a book on a shelf....this time..."Hated It"...Not a lot of room to work with...my hands/fingers still hurting.