E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
000hazza

My Ride: E46 323i auto 99
Help Please BMW E46 323i auto 99 intermittent starting. ?? All help much appreciated

Hi newbie here as have had no troubles with e46 auto until now and has me in the sh*t.
Basically car has been in the family for 15 yrs not many parts been changed. yesterday this started to happen....
I get in go to start car as normal dosent start can't hear starter motor, all lights come on can hear fuel pump go, so try again ...nothing after 10 - 15 attempts car starts. Sometimes if I switch off straight away won't start again but other times it starts up. I tried a car starter battery pack and Sod's law when I put it on It started parked up for the day then when I needed to get home It did it again. Had battery booster in the back so as before tried it again but nothing. Stupidly had already ordered a new battery so when home from work fitted that but still no joy. Still takes 10-15 times I try putting in neutral then back but nothing.

I think it may be starter motor but don't want to assume wrong again. Have looked on a few forums but was hoping some of you guys may be abit more knowledgable
If there's more info you need to help me suss this let me know.
If any of you have any ideas or suggestions please will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Harry
000hazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
BMWfan07

My Ride: 323i 2000
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=no+start

Here ya go, read the whole thing it will help.
BMWfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
000hazza

Will so thankyou
Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
000hazza

Do*
Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
ShiroZ31

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Sounds like the starter, my 325 acted about like that last year. The starter was cranking slow in the cold, so I thought it was the battery. Replacing the battery made no difference, then it randomly refused to crank at all a few weeks later like you describe.

The no-start thread should help you diagnose better.

325XiT ----- 323Ci ----- 300ZXT

Last edited by ShiroZ31; 01-19-2015 at 05:08 PM.
ShiroZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote