E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
chris1098

My Ride: 2003 318ci
Whats the deal with LCM's and LED rear lights??

Hi All, I need your wisdom

I know this must be the 1,00000,000000th thread on these but I have and and I cant find anywhere of clarification on what it takes to get the LED tail lights to stop flickering....!! I also know that posting the same old threads makes the class of '10 look even worse but I just want to clear the issues up once and for all so maybe we can get a better reputation...!!

Ok so I have a set of Genuine rear LED lights for my 2003 coupe. I currently have the plain standard one in at the moment but want to upgrade, I did my research and understood that the majority on the market were from Thailand Tim or off ebay which I wasnt prepared to put on my car so I opted for Genuine and managed to pick a pair up for only 90.00 on ebay because somebody listed them at a silly time so I got them for nothing

As I read on here before I purchased the lights, the LCM is an issue as it shows the bulb out errors and makes the LED's pulse.

If the LCM is before 2001 I think it cant be flashed so it requires a new one from BMW, if they are made after 2001 they can apparently be flashed with new codes to accept the LED's.

I went in to my local BMW dealership and asked them about flashing it and honestly, it was the most puzzled look I have ever seen, it was as though I asked him to tell me every part number on an engine. He then went and got the supervisor and then went to speak to the Master Tech in the workshop and he then came out to tell me they cant be flashed and it would require a new LCM, I expected it to be a mission to get it done but does it really require a new LCM as its from a 2003 e46....!!

I was just wondering what the alternatives are?

I dont really want to go back to BMW unless I have lube as I know they will rape me over the price!!

Could I find somebody who is breaking an E46 coupe from atleast 2004 and fit their LCM as the LED rears come as standard. Has anybody else ever come across this issue?

Or where in the UK will flash my current LCM apart from BMW?

Or what does it take to actually flash them yourself, Big money earning potential????

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Last edited by chris1098; 03-03-2010 at 07:24 AM.
chris1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
chris1098

Surely somebody knows.......??

Chris
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
chris1098

Anybody??
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
chris1098

Anybody at all??
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
cunninglinguist

My Ride: 2003 LSB M3
Yes, you really do need a newer LCM (at least one from a 2002 build or later). The ones prior to this can not be reflashed as BMW did not forsee LED tail lights going into their cars at this time. You can find a 2002 through early 2003 build LCM and have it reflashed or purchase a 2003.5 and later LCM and plug and play. These are your two options.

-Only BMW can reflash a 2002-2003 LCM
-There is no program to do it yourself
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
After September 2001 = LCM Flashable through dealer or indy with Autologic
Before September 2001 = Resistor/capacitor mods or get a new LCM

And getting a used LCM of no matter date of manufacture = tamper dot
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
azndrunk74

My Ride: LSB vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
After September 2001 = LCM Flashable through dealer or indy with Autologic
Before September 2001 = Resistor/capacitor mods or get a new LCM

+1

I'm running resistors and have no issues. I didn't want to pay $200+ for a new LCM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
chris1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninglinguist View Post
Yes, you really do need a newer LCM (at least one from a 2002 build or later). The ones prior to this can not be reflashed as BMW did not forsee LED tail lights going into their cars at this time. You can find a 2002 through early 2003 build LCM and have it reflashed or purchase a 2003.5 and later LCM and plug and play. These are your two options.

-Only BMW can reflash a 2002-2003 LCM
-There is no program to do it yourself
Thank you everybody. I have a 2003 LCM which BMW say cant be reflashed purely on the basis they did'nt know what reflashing the LCM consisted of.....?

I have read up today that each LCM with Auto light is connected to the OBC it is initially paired with so I cant just buy a repalcement LCM which I thought was my answer

I have tried a couple of independant garages but nobody understands what and LCM is and how to reflash one, Does anybody in the UK know of anywhere?

I read today that if you take fuse 32 out it will remove the bulb out errors but I then read in certain cases, the lights turn themselves off after a few days....!!

What can I do now to get the LCM reflashed....? I may bite the bullet and get a new LCM from the stealers but this will be a very very last resort...!!

I would try the resistors but I dont consider myself to have the knowledge to do this and get it to work...

Thankyou all!!

Chris
Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1098 View Post
Thank you everybody. I have a 2003 LCM which BMW say cant be reflashed purely on the basis they did'nt know what reflashing the LCM consisted of.....?

I have read up today that each LCM with Auto light is connected to the OBC it is initially paired with so I cant just buy a repalcement LCM which I thought was my answer

I have tried a couple of independant garages but nobody understands what and LCM is and how to reflash one, Does anybody in the UK know of anywhere?

I read today that if you take fuse 32 out it will remove the bulb out errors but I then read in certain cases, the lights turn themselves off after a few days....!!

What can I do now to get the LCM reflashed....? I may bite the bullet and get a new LCM from the stealers but this will be a very very last resort...!!

I would try the resistors but I dont consider myself to have the knowledge to do this and get it to work...

Thankyou all!!

Chris

YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW LSZ!!! (Light Switching centre) In an E46, it is not called an LCM, it's called an LSZ because the switch is built in to the light control module.

You have a 2003, which means you have an LSZ that can accept a retrofit path for LED tail lights. The reason for the flickering is because you have installed OEM tail lights which have no resisters. Your LSZ is attempting to perform a warm bulb check which involves sending quick voltage spikes through the circuit to verify the bulb(s) are working. The LED's flicker because of this. They are probably pulsating as well. This is because the LSZ is expecting a certain amount of current draw form an incandescent bulb, that it is not receiving from the LED circuit.

So, that being said, you do not need a new LSZ, you need a BMW dealership or independent with a current version of the SSS/Progman station or the ISIS system.

I don't know how the dealerships in England are outfitted. If they have Progman (the technicians should know this), they need to plug it into your car, go to "LOAD SW" then select "NO" when it asks if modules have been replaced on this car. Then they need to proceed to the "RETROFITS" menu and go to page two or page three of the selections. There they will find a selection that says "LED TAILLIGHTS." Once they hit that, Progman will form a Plan to update the options in your V.O. (which stands for Vehicle Order) with the LED Tail light option. Then it will recode your LSZ and the car will immediately function 100% normally with the LED tail lamps.

This should cost about one hour of labor.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
check ground wires.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
Quote:

Yes, but...a used LSZ (aka LCM) can be coded to any other car and the tamper dot avoided. It simply requires that the VIN and stored mileage be changed to match the VIN and mileage of the car it is being used in. PASOFT v1.3.6. is capable of changing the VIN and mileage.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #12
cunninglinguist

My Ride: 2003 LSB M3
Gosh I don't know why I overlooked that you already have an 03. Yeah, yours will accept the reflash so you definitely do not need to change out your LCM, you just have to find a dealer who is familiar with the process. Not alot of people choose to change over to LED tail lights, so there are surprisingly alot of BMW techs that don't even aware of this and would have to research it. When I took mine to BMW Annapolis for the reflash, they didn't know how to do it either - only one tech had only heard of it; just took some time and research, but they got it. Also, if BMW techs aren't even familiar with it, I wouldn't even waste your time trying to go to an independent mechanic, that's even if you can find one with a Progman...
Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
It's a 30 second job with autologic, dealer should not need more than 1 minute to do it. The BMW LED Retrofit guide mentions what DIS procedure dealer should follow to recode LCM
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW LSZ!!! (Light Switching centre) In an E46, it is not called an LCM, it's called an LSZ because the switch is built in to the light control module.

You have a 2003, which means you have an LSZ that can accept a retrofit path for LED tail lights. The reason for the flickering is because you have installed OEM tail lights which have no resisters. Your LSZ is attempting to perform a warm bulb check which involves sending quick voltage spikes through the circuit to verify the bulb(s) are working. The LED's flicker because of this. They are probably pulsating as well. This is because the LSZ is expecting a certain amount of current draw form an incandescent bulb, that it is not receiving from the LED circuit.

So, that being said, you do not need a new LSZ, you need a BMW dealership or independent with a current version of the SSS/Progman station or the ISIS system.

I don't know how the dealerships in England are outfitted. If they have Progman (the technicians should know this), they need to plug it into your car, go to "LOAD SW" then select "NO" when it asks if modules have been replaced on this car. Then they need to proceed to the "RETROFITS" menu and go to page two or page three of the selections. There they will find a selection that says "LED TAILLIGHTS." Once they hit that, Progman will form a Plan to update the options in your V.O. (which stands for Vehicle Order) with the LED Tail light option. Then it will recode your LSZ and the car will immediately function 100% normally with the LED tail lamps.

This should cost about one hour of labor.
This is what I call an answer/explanation and an education. This is a pleasant reminder of why I like this site. E46Fanatics iansanderson

(of course assuming that the post is not just gibberish )
Old 03-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
A competent dealership can fix it with a reflash without a problem at all. I posted the same exact question when I installed my OEM LCD tails a few years ago. Below is a link to that thread, and my story...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=reflash

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
chris1098

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlau330Ci View Post
This is what I call an answer/explanation and an education. This is a pleasant reminder of why I like this site. E46Fanatics iansanderson

(of course assuming that the post is not just gibberish )
Amen to that brother The Oracle has spoken

I have printed the instructions out and I am going to take it in to the dealership in the morning..!!

And staple it to their heads if necessary

I am yet to find a competant garage yet, there is one around 30 miles away from me so I will give them a call if my local stealers still act dumb..!!

Can somebody reassure me the LED rear tails are really work all the trouble
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Quote:
True to an extent all you gotta do is get is reflashed

OP I have done the OEM retrofit mine did the same thing when they didnt set them right. Make sure they know how to do the retrofit if not go somewhere else.

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #18
three30cic

My Ride: 330ci/m3
Send a message via ICQ to three30cic
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...0&d=1268021803

Bring this to the dealer........
three30cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
My car is a 2002 M3, build 07/2001, and I flashed my LCM for LED tails without a problem. FWIW
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWINFORD View Post
True to an extent all you gotta do is get is reflashed

OP I have done the OEM retrofit mine did the same thing when they didnt set them right. Make sure they know how to do the retrofit if not go somewhere else.
I don't think this is exactly true. Certainly the dealer won't flash a used replacement LSZ because it stores information about the car's mileage. That's why you get a tamper dot if you swap in a different LSZ. And I'm not sure whether this is a simple thing for an Indy to do. Or whether they'd be nervous about doing it.

But it sounds like Jaymemaurice has almost solved this problem in a different thread where he upgraded an '01 330ci to have rain-sensing wipers and auto headlights.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=746918&page=2

He used NCS expert (?) and was able to change the VO on his new LSZ to match his car. He's still working to get the AIC working (whatever the hell that is) and then will upgrade his DIY.

Ian, if you don't mind, I'd love to hear you translate all this into English. I'm going to have to do this at some point. So I guess the question is what is the easiest/cheapest/best way to accomplish what the OP is asking, but on a pre-2002 car?

Thanks in advance.

ZOMG HALP! *click*

oh hai, i can haz part numbro for florr matz? k thanxz.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, e46, lcm, led, lights