E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
I don't think this is exactly true. Certainly the dealer won't flash a used replacement LSZ because it stores information about the car's mileage. That's why you get a tamper dot if you swap in a different LSZ. And I'm not sure whether this is a simple thing for an Indy to do. Or whether they'd be nervous about doing it.
Pretty sure it is. IDK maybe because I have done it and know others who have.

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #22
an_engnr

My Ride: E46 M3
For what it's worth, the service department at Tischer in MD (they sell an OEM retrofit kit) said they could program my LCM (not all dealers can do it), and that the reprogram would cost $140 (!?!). When I suggested this was steep (the BMW service guideline estimates 1 hr shop time to install the lights AND reprogram -- I only needed to reprogram. Anyway.... I went to a local independent (in Manassas, VA), and they were able to reprogram it for me. Works perfectly. $50 out-the-door.
an_engnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #23
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
I don't think this is exactly true. Certainly the dealer won't flash a used replacement LSZ because it stores information about the car's mileage. That's why you get a tamper dot if you swap in a different LSZ. And I'm not sure whether this is a simple thing for an Indy to do. Or whether they'd be nervous about doing it.

But it sounds like Jaymemaurice has almost solved this problem in a different thread where he upgraded an '01 330ci to have rain-sensing wipers and auto headlights.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=746918&page=2

He used NCS expert (?) and was able to change the VO on his new LSZ to match his car. He's still working to get the AIC working (whatever the hell that is) and then will upgrade his DIY.

Ian, if you don't mind, I'd love to hear you translate all this into English. I'm going to have to do this at some point. So I guess the question is what is the easiest/cheapest/best way to accomplish what the OP is asking, but on a pre-2002 car?

Thanks in advance.
In english (as best I can do)

If you have an E46 produced before 09/2001 (check your driver's door jamb), you will need to replace your LSZ if you wish to install factory LED tail lights.

If you feel for some reason that your LSZ might have been replaced at some point (highly unlikely), then you will need to remove the left side trim surrounding the switch and remove the switching unit. On the label, you will see the part number, manufacturer and at the bottom, a HW and SW level. You must have a SW level higher than 2.0 for the unit to accept the LED Retrofit. If your switch says SW:2.0, then the retrofit will not work.

The LSZ stores mileage at 100 KM intervals sent from the cluster via the I-bus. For this reason, BMW has created a set of rules about the LSZ. One of those rules is that if it need be replaced, only a NEW, UNCODED unit may be used.

If you have determined that you will need a newer LSZ and you want factory LED tail lights you have one official option and 3 un-official options:

The Official Option: You will need to purchase a NEW, UNCODED LSZ. Then, it must be coded to your car. Finally, perform the LED taillights retrofit coding and you're done. Check faulkner BMW for a good price. Should be somewhere in the low $300's.

"Other" options:

1: you can purchase a used LSZ from a newer model. This will illuminate the tamper dot on your cluster and depending on the vehicle it was removed from, your lights may not function correctly.

2. You can find someone capable of "virginizing" the LSZ or changing the mileage and VIN.

3. You can install resistors to match that of the incandescent bulbs. However, you will still have flickering of the bulbs at startup.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #24
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWINFORD View Post
True to an extent all you gotta do is get is reflashed

OP I have done the OEM retrofit mine did the same thing when they didnt set them right. Make sure they know how to do the retrofit if not go somewhere else.
Not true. BMWs official tools are incapable of changing the VIN that's already stored on an LSZ. No dealer can do it, no matter how much you ask or offer to pay them. And unless the VIN on the LSZ matches your car's VIN, you'll get a tamper dot - Even if the mileage is *exactly* the same as what's on the cluster.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-14-2010 at 01:57 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #25
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Not true. BMWs official tools are incapable of changing the VIN that's already stored on an LSZ. No dealer can do it, no matter how much you ask or offer to pay them. And unless the VIN on the LSZ matches your car's VIN, you'll get a tamper dot - Even if the mileage is *exactly* the same as what's on the cluster.
Then how did mine work? And when I did my sisters and a buddies?

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
pepsiblue3

My Ride: BlueFlame
Bump for great info
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
chazstace

My Ride: E46 328i SE
All you need to do is grab PA Soft.

Disable all lamp warnings in the software on the rear lights, write to LCM.

Job done! no more flicker, works on all models.
chazstace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
bigpino

My Ride: 320ci
I have pasoft 1.4.0, but no warm check options. How can that be?
bigpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
tmoore237

My Ride: e46
what does the lcm control
tmoore237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #30
bigpino

My Ride: 320ci
I understood it is the light control module. Like headlight, indicator, break lights etc.
Also more complicated function as automatic vertical headlight aiming or even adaptive headlights (steering dependent lighting).
bigpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #31
tmoore237

My Ride: e46
check out my thread i started and see what you think
tmoore237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #32
zfrog

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
So, that being said, you do not need a new LSZ, you need a BMW dealership or independent with a current version of the SSS/Progman station or the ISIS system.

I don't know how the dealerships in England are outfitted. If they have Progman (the technicians should know this), they need to plug it into your car, go to "LOAD SW" then select "NO" when it asks if modules have been replaced on this car. Then they need to proceed to the "RETROFITS" menu and go to page two or page three of the selections. There they will find a selection that says "LED TAILLIGHTS." Once they hit that, Progman will form a Plan to update the options in your V.O. (which stands for Vehicle Order) with the LED Tail light option. Then it will recode your LSZ and the car will immediately function 100% normally with the LED tail lamps.

This should cost about one hour of labor.
Thank you

Last edited by zfrog; 09-09-2014 at 10:10 AM.
zfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, e46, lcm, led, lights