E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #61
Ramzi@AutomotiveSpecialtyTool
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 1994 Acura Integra
Well I just banged off an email to Koala Motorsport to see if they can help with the tool situation. Here we go again!
Ramzi@AutomotiveSpecialtyTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #62
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzi@AutomotiveSpecialtyTool View Post
Yeah I contacted that guy a few times but he seems unresponsive. I'm gonna do about another week of searching before I bite the bullet.
You have to email him.. i dont think he goes onto this forum anymore. if u still have no luck with the tools in the next few days, let me know.. ill see if i can find his number
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #63
the_curry_man

My Ride: 2001 330i 5spd ZSP!!
How sure are u that it's even a blown hg?....

Ebay Headers
Dinan Cold air intake
Orion V2 angel eyes
18' tsw rims
clears all around
weighted shift knob
CSL Front bumper
Red sharpie mod
Strut Bar
M3 lip spoiler
UUC Stage 2 Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
UUC Performance Organic Clutch
Magnaflow Muffler
the_curry_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #64
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curry_man View Post
How sure are u that it's even a blown hg?....
i gave up asking him that question a loooong time ago.. he wants to replace his head gasket, let him do it
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #65
Past Site Sponsor

well, no... i don't want to do it if I don't have to. But, I can't afford too much down time and I also can't afford to pay someone to fix it (and it's also a matter of principle, heh)... I haven't bought any replacement parts or rented any tools yet, but I did want to know how bad it could get money-wise so I had an idea.

It could be a clogged radiator or a bunch of other stuff, especially since the compression appeared decent across the board to me (@ 200 to 220 psi per cylinder).

That, and the temp gauge only hit "H" once after a cold start at 9F after like 10 minutes... It doesn't add up.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #66
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
holy smokes man, pelican gave you all the parts for a head gasket change, valve cover change, CCV change, entier cooling system overhaul, etc etc etc. jesus. that's a little excessive if you ask me.

you don't need the Bentley manual, I have one, paid $70 for it and have used it like twice over the past 5 years. 99% of the DIY's i've done have come from the wonderful pictorials on this site...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #67
Past Site Sponsor

Oh, and if I want to run quick tests on the car, can i run it without that PCV hose (since it broke)?? On my Hondas, it's no big deal, but I figured I'd ask someone more experienced w/ BMWs.

My current plan once I'm back near the car is:

1. Drain coolant completely
2. Re-bleed w/ Deionized water until what comes out is clear and then use BMW coolant / DI water mix - 50/50
3. Change spark plugs & replace PCV hose if necessary
4. Reinstall coil packs and run it - monitor water temp gauge and smoke scent / quantity as the car warms up
5. Note symptoms -> temp gauge on "H" & smoking after warm up period & coolant level after it cools back down

If temp gauge reads H, but no smoking, or coolant loss, replace water temp sensor
If coolant loss, but no H or smoking, check for leaks (i'll be doing this anyway)

Do you guys agree that with my compression test results, a bad head gasket is NOT the issue here?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #68
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
holy smokes man, pelican gave you all the parts for a head gasket change, valve cover change, CCV change, entier cooling system overhaul, etc etc etc. jesus. that's a little excessive if you ask me.

you don't need the Bentley manual, I have one, paid $70 for it and have used it like twice over the past 5 years. 99% of the DIY's i've done have come from the wonderful pictorials on this site...
thanks for the info. i have no problem saving the cash instead of buying that manual... Pelican also does have decent DIYs as well. It's just a matter of taking the time to get familiar with the different techniques used.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #69
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Oh, and if I want to run quick tests on the car, can i run it without that PCV hose (since it broke)?? On my Hondas, it's no big deal, but I figured I'd ask someone more experienced w/ BMWs.

My current plan once I'm back near the car is:

2. Re-bleed w/ Deionized water until what comes out is clear and then use BMW coolant / DI water mix - 50/50
3. Change spark plugs & replace PCV hose if necessary
4. Reinstall coil packs and run it - monitor water temp gauge and smoke scent / quantity as the car warms up
5. Note symptoms -> temp gauge on "H" & smoking after warm up period & coolant level after it cools back down

If temp gauge reads H, but no smoking, or coolant loss, replace water temp sensor
If coolant loss, but no H or smoking, check for leaks (i'll be doing this anyway)

Do you guys agree that with my compression test results, a bad head gasket is NOT the issue here?
If you run the car with no PCV hose, that would cause a massive beyond words vacuum leak most likely. Thats like having a cracked intake manifold.

Just because your car went to H once and the car smokes a little in 9 degree weather, doesnt mean you have a blown head gasket. Condensation will cause all cars to smoke in cold weather like that. Now, if your filling the whole street with huge clouds of smoke, then you have a problem.

Do you have coolant loss or do you not? I don't get it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #70
Past Site Sponsor

After the car was smoking, I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and the indicator was still at full. Is there any way the indicator could still read full and also lose coolant in the process (like a clog somewhere)??
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #71
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
After the car was smoking, I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and the indicator was still at full. Is there any way the indicator could still read full and also lose coolant in the process (like a clog somewhere)??
Well if the indicator reads full, why do you think your losing coolant? Clogs are usually in the radiator, and that might be why you overheated. Also the thermostat being stuck closed could do that. I think you jumped on this head gasket thing way too quick.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #72
Past Site Sponsor

Well, because of the smoking thing... I guess I really need to do those tests I outlined and confirm the smoke content.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #73
the_curry_man

My Ride: 2001 330i 5spd ZSP!!
Quote:
Well, because of the smoking thing... I guess I really need to do those tests I outlined and confirm the smoke content.
U can do a Pcv/ccv delete and see if that fixes ur problem....If if was ur head gasket u would know. Did I get ur Tests back on the oil? If the indicator is full then most likely ur coolant is full, check ur radiator; if the car overheated once in 9f after 10 min that doesn't sound right. Check ur entire cooling system, if that's fine then u can rule that out and work on hg but it's very important, especially when working on cars urself, to check EVERY POSSIBLITY, it sounds like there is something in your cooling sys.

Ebay Headers
Dinan Cold air intake
Orion V2 angel eyes
18' tsw rims
clears all around
weighted shift knob
CSL Front bumper
Red sharpie mod
Strut Bar
M3 lip spoiler
UUC Stage 2 Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
UUC Performance Organic Clutch
Magnaflow Muffler
the_curry_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #74
Past Site Sponsor

Is there a way to "check" the radiator at home? What is a good way to confirm it is not clogged?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #75
Past Site Sponsor

3. Change spark plugs & replace PCV hose

I guess I could add to the above if symptoms persist:

6. Drain coolant again
7. Inspect radiator (replace if necessary)
8. Inspect waterpump (replace if necessary)
9. Inspect thermostat (replace if necessary)
10. Inspect expansion tank (replace if necessary)
11. Replace hoses involved with these assemblies

Also, concerning the condensation issue... Are you guys generally saying that the milky residue goes away by itself once the car reaches operating temperature?? If so, that could be another check.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #76
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Is there a way to "check" the radiator at home? What is a good way to confirm it is not clogged?
Not to my knowledge. You know it's clogged for sure when your driving down the highway and the damn thing still overheats at -0 temps. Thats why Im replacing mine. Also when you go to drain it, it should be pretty constipated. I could get no more then half a quart out of mine.

Quote:
Also, concerning the condensation issue... Are you guys generally saying that the milky residue goes away by itself once the car reaches operating temperature?? If so, that could be another check.
Milky residue!? Why is this the first time we're hearing about this? Where do you see this milky residue?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #77
Past Site Sponsor

Ah... because it's on the video I shot that never got uploaded.... But yeah, when the PCV hose broke off, there was some greenish/brownish sludge as well as on the underside of the oil cap. I was in the process of pulling off the valve cover to see how much was under there and compare it to the pictures of carnage from other head gasket failure pics/threads...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #78
gkinslow

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygttr View Post
^^haha..agreed..if it does appear to be a head gasket leak id just throw some bars leak in it for now and see if it stops..lol.

what is bars leak?
gkinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #79
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Ah... because it's on the video I shot that never got uploaded.... But yeah, when the PCV hose broke off, there was some greenish/brownish sludge as well as on the underside of the oil cap. I was in the process of pulling off the valve cover to see how much was under there and compare it to the pictures of carnage from other head gasket failure pics/threads...
Greenish/brownish doesnt sound bad. Light milky colored mixed with brown is a different story. That is oil mixing with coolant.

Take some pics for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkinslow View Post
what is bars leak?
You don't wanna know. It will clog your radiator up so quick, that you won't have a chance to ask "why did it clog up my radiator?" Plus it only worked for like 2 weeks for me. Then the leak came back. Except I need a new radiator now.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #80
gkinslow

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
Greenish/brownish doesnt sound bad. Light milky colored mixed with brown is a different story. That is oil mixing with coolant.

Take some pics for us.

You don't wanna know. It will clog your radiator up so quick, that you won't have a chance to ask "why did it clog up my radiator?" Plus it only worked for like 2 weeks for me. Then the leak came back. Except I need a new radiator now.

Thanks
gkinslow is offline   Reply With Quote