E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #81
Ramzi@AutomotiveSpecialtyTool
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 1994 Acura Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
Greenish/brownish doesnt sound bad. Light milky colored mixed with brown is a different story. That is oil mixing with coolant.

Take some pics for us.
I'll be sure to snap a few when I get back to town and get that valve cover off, especially.
Ramzi@AutomotiveSpecialtyTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #82
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
You have to email him.. i dont think he goes onto this forum anymore. if u still have no luck with the tools in the next few days, let me know.. ill see if i can find his number
Hey man... I won't know if I have an immediate need for these tools until I continue running tests back home. But, in the mean time, if you have a prior rapport with him, is there any chance you could put me in touch with him>? I'd like to see if he'll post his tools up on the site.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #83
Hukerfaker

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
I think dip sticks are very inaccurate when a car has been run. Unless it was checked on a cold engine, I never trust what that dipstick says. Mine looks dry if I pull the dip stick out after a drive, meanwhile the system is full. Thats cause the oil still hasnt drained back down into the pan. Any dumb shade tree mechanic would call that dry and overfill the system.
Read the manual: drive until working temperature is reached, turn it off, then after 5 minutes check the oil on level ground.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #84
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto, 167k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzi@AutomotiveSpecialtyTool View Post
Hey man... I won't know if I have an immediate need for these tools until I continue running tests back home. But, in the mean time, if you have a prior rapport with him, is there any chance you could put me in touch with him>? I'd like to see if he'll post his tools up on the site.
Your in luck. My old email service was getting shut down, so I had a chance to go over my old emails and came across the guys info.. ill pm it to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukerfaker View Post
Read the manual: drive until working temperature is reached, turn it off, then after 5 minutes check the oil on level ground.
Do you even know what we are disputing here?

Edit: Instead of worrying to tell me to read the manual, you should be more interested in what I actually wrote. Im stating the fact that when you run a motor, and go to check the oil, you won't get the most accurate reading, due to the oil still being in the upper part of the engine. In that manual you just told me to go read, they are obviously not gonna tell you to go wait a few hours before every single drop of oil has dropped back into the oil pan so you can check the oil. So if you wait 5 minutes, you'll sorda have an estimate but not really. Yeah, Im running to read the manual now.

Last edited by EmFiftyFour; 03-15-2011 at 06:53 PM.
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #85
Past Site Sponsor

So I finally got some time to tinker and got the valve cover off...

This is what I found. It appears that the weird colored stuff is close to the opening for the oil cap but nowhere else. Is this condensation or is this milky coolant?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #86
Past Site Sponsor

Also... How much of a PITA is it to replace that hose that goes into the valve cover? It appears to snake down where my chubby hands can't fit. It looks like I'll have to disassemble some more.

And, I'm waiting with baited breath to see what you guys think about the picture of the buildup on the cylinder head...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #87
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Its only condensation. Nothing to worry about, I've seen some valve covers that look way worse than that.

That hose is attached to the oil separator, you'll have to remove your throttle body and much more to get the new hose put it. Just order a CCV kit from one of our sponsors like this http://bmwpartssource.com/partlocato...subcat1=167153. Message the guy directly on here and ask for a Cold Climate version.

Here is the DIY that I followed when I did my CCV http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417819, its very informative.

Here is a tip for you, the kit comes with an O-Ring for the dipstick guide tube. If yours isnt leaking DO NOT dare to replace it, simply cut the hose off and attach a new hose. I spent like an hour trying to yank my dipstick guide tube out, then I realized that mine wasnt leaking so why bother going through all this trouble for nothing, so I left it there.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 03-21-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #88
Past Site Sponsor

Well, I just got the kit ordered and will hopefully have time this coming weekend to take care of that sucker, drain the coolant, re-bleed, and reassemble everything for a hopefully issue-free test drive. Here's hoping!

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #89
pudermcgavin

My Ride: 02 325i
you need to let the car rest for a few min then the dipstick should be accurate maybe a touch high at most due to the oils slight expasion due to heat then you can add what it needs let it rest and then check again to verify the correct level and speaking of level make sure the car is level as well i noticed with mine if it wasnt as close to level as possible it was way off and if they checked it on a lift the arms (unless its a set and lockedd alignment rack) are always tilted one way or the other makes a huge difference if fluid levels
pudermcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #90
Past Site Sponsor

So I finally replaced the oil separator and, alas, the car still smokes... I took a video here: ... It doesn't really smell like coolant, oil, or gas. It smells more like condensation, but there is a **** ton of it. I don't know where to go next as the car has good compression and it doesn't look like I have the milky residue indicating a HG failure after all. Could this be a clogged exhaust or something outside of the engine bay?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #91
cdseven95

My Ride: 328
Quote:
doesn't look like I have the milky residue indicating a HG failure after all. Could this be a clogged exhaust or something outside of the engine bay?
You can have a blown headgasket, coolant jacket/passage to combustion.... I.E. Pushing coolant.... Rent a test kit from autozone...(Hydrocarbon)

Last edited by cdseven95; 05-09-2011 at 10:33 PM.
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #92
Past Site Sponsor

Well I went ahead and bought this block tester (another plug for the site, i suppose)... When it comes in, I'll do a test on the car and then, hopefully, pin point the leak. http://www.blockchek.com/instructions.htm
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #93
cdseven95

My Ride: 328
Quote:
Well I went ahead and bought this block tester (another plug for the site, i suppose)... When it comes in, I'll do a test on the car and then, hopefully, pin point the leak. http://www.blockchek.com/instructions.htm
Same kit they have at my local autozone. At least you will have it for your next blow headgasket.

Last edited by cdseven95; 05-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #94
Past Site Sponsor

Yeah... I work on a lot of cars, so it will come in handy.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #95
tommytoyz

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
Result?

I have a very similar white smoke issue I an concerned about and also my water leaks somewhere that I can not find. So I am concerned it is leaking out the tailpipe.

What was the result of your block test?
tommytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #96
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytoyz View Post
I have a very similar white smoke issue I an concerned about and also my water leaks somewhere that I can not find. So I am concerned it is leaking out the tailpipe.

What was the result of your block test?
I've been on field service away from the car. I'll be heading home this weekend and, since i ordered the block check over two weeks ago, i am hoping it is sitting in my mailbox waiting to be used.

In the event it's there, I'll do the test this weekend and let you know what I come up with...

I'll also post the kit up on AutomotiveSpecialtyTool.net when I'm done
Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #97
tommytoyz

Well, I've now determined I do have a head gasket or header problem. I hate to admit it to myself. But a few things have convinced me:

1. The color on my cap is exactly the color in these pics (figure 2), which was not there before http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ead-Gasket.htm
2. I mixed old motor oil with some BMW coolant in my plastic tub I use for oil changes and it produced this brownish goo as well
3. My water level constantly needs to be topped off
4. The cooling system sometimes remains highly pressurized even when left parked after 24 hours, which is a symptom another person had when their header went.

So I have little doubt that my smoke, which looks just like yours and does not smell either, is coolant bleeding through the head. Stick your finger into the exhaust and see if you feel moisture on the bottom of the pipe after thoroughly warming up the car. If it is wet or very moist, that water can only come from one place.

Any do a header before? How long did it take? I think it is doable on DIY. I only need the specialized BMW tools to remove the vanos and Cams. Any sources of how to rent or borrow them?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #98
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytoyz View Post
Well, I've now determined I do have a head gasket or header problem. I hate to admit it to myself. But a few things have convinced me:

1. The color on my cap is exactly the color in these pics (figure 2), which was not there before http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ead-Gasket.htm
2. I mixed old motor oil with some BMW coolant in my plastic tub I use for oil changes and it produced this brownish goo as well
3. My water level constantly needs to be topped off
4. The cooling system sometimes remains highly pressurized even when left parked after 24 hours, which is a symptom another person had when their header went.

So I have little doubt that my smoke, which looks just like yours and does not smell either, is coolant bleeding through the head. Stick your finger into the exhaust and see if you feel moisture on the bottom of the pipe after thoroughly warming up the car. If it is wet or very moist, that water can only come from one place.

Any do a header before? How long did it take? I think it is doable on DIY. I only need the specialized BMW tools to remove the vanos and Cams. Any sources of how to rent or borrow them?
When you say header, do you mean headgasket? Header is typically the term used for a portion of the exhaust system which, at least to my knowledge, does not deal at all w/ coolant.

Also, concerning specialty tool availability, check out this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=805089&page=3

Member wardpower is planning on posting his tools up on AST to rent. I'd follow the topic and get your account on Automotive Specialty Tool so you're ready to pounce when it becomes available
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #99
tommytoyz

Cool thanks for the heads up on the tool rental. When I say header, I mean Head gasket or the head itself - I don't know where it leaks from yet. I think the list of things that need replacing is far fewer than what you have planned. Just a few gaskets and the rest should be cleaned out, fluids exchanged....

I do have a new Water pump and new t-stat ready to install though, including some new pulleys. So those will all go in too. Expansion tank was recently done by me, so should be good. Everything else looks good.

My only real concern is if the engine block has been damaged as some have reported that the head bolts get striped out somtimes damaging the thread in the block when the head warps.....This engine never over heated on me, so I don't understand why this would happen, ran fine till recently.....matter of fact still runs fine, but the water is disappearing faster and faster, Oh well.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #100
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
So I finally got some time to tinker and got the valve cover off...

This is what I found. It appears that the weird colored stuff is close to the opening for the oil cap but nowhere else. Is this condensation or is this milky coolant?

I would highly recommend that you NOT shut the car off before you reach operating temperatures. So you can increase the life of the CCV and not have condensation in The CCV like this.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote