E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Peter Nilssen

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325 CI Vert
Glovebox lock broken by a "thief" and it's locked now

Well the prospective thief was not successful, so now neither the mechanical nor electronic lock are working in my girlfriends 2004 325 CI vert.

I searched on this and other sites for postings about gloveboxes and the locks. And tried to open it by putting a screw driver up to to push the latch unsuccessfully. Is there a trick to this?

Attached a photo of the broken lock with broken electrical connections.

If I can't open it without breaking it, I guess the alternative is to get another box. I seem to recall you have to put it in from the front of the car. Is there any photos of how to do it on this site? Someone has multiple glove boxes on EBay for app. $50+$19 shipping. My girlfriend already bought a new mechanical lock that works with the key. The next project will be to look into getting the electronic lock to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141126_145851.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	582083  

Last edited by Peter Nilssen; 11-28-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Peter Nilssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
You could just replace the lock. Just buy a new one from BMW. The only thing is you'd have to have a 2nd key (or if they re-key - not sure) as since the lock is broken, you couldn't switch your old lock into the new glove box. You shouldn't need to get a whole glove box unless they damaged that too. BTW, if it is your glove box, I have an extra one I could sell, good condition. It's black.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 12-01-2014 at 08:46 AM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Peter Nilssen

Thanks John! I already got the new mechanical lock that works with the current key. But before we put it in, the problem is that the glove box is locked and I have not figured out how to open it. If I figure that out, yes, we would just need to replace the lock. Possible both the electronic (looks like it might be damaged) and mechanical lock. Otherwise I am assuming we would need a new box. If that is the case we are looking for a gray one.

Last edited by Peter Nilssen; 12-01-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=glove+box

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=glovebox

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
This is where I applied pressure with the screwdriver:
(It looks like this piece is broken on your lock.)

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nilssen View Post
Thanks John! I already got the new mechanical lock that works with the current key. But before we put it in, the problem is that the glove box is locked and I have not figured out how to open it. If I figure that out, yes, we would just need to replace the lock. Possible both the electronic (looks like it might be damaged) and mechanical lock. Otherwise I am assuming we would need a new box. If that is the case we are looking for a gray one.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So does the lock turn at all with the key or is it "completely" damaged? If it turns, it would seem you could eventually get it open. If not, you will likely have to pry/break it open.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 12-02-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Peter Nilssen

Thanks John. If you double click on the photo you will see they destroyed the lock and they might have damaged the electronic look too. So no trick on how to reach the mechanical lock, when the hole is open? I was trying to save the box ....
Old 12-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #8
Peter Nilssen

Thanks jfoj. The photo and explanations posted in the first link by ixobelle and dave seems to be right on. Same for wildirish317. Thanks to you!!!! And I read the thread in the same link again, and realized how much jfoj know about the glovebox and the latches, so after re-reading that I am strongly hoping it can be opened . Thanks!!

Will try Friday and let you know. I am optimistic.

Last edited by Peter Nilssen; 12-03-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
johnrando

So solved?

Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Peter Nilssen

No unfortunately the "arm" does not move enough ;(. We tried to lock and unlock the car as well, while applying pressure to the arm. No luck. So is the next step to take out the box? Which as far as I can tell is really hard.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
johnrando

Are you able to pry the box open at all? From there you might be able to "break" the lock and get it open. Removing the glove box is not hard, but I don't recall being able to do it without opening it, as there are screws inside that help hold it in.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
wayne anthony

My Ride: 2005 325Ci convert
Awhile back, I took the glove box lock apart trying to get it open without using the key. Anyhow, first time putting it back together, wouldn't open with or without the key. Was able to get the door off at the hings.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box, broken, glove, locked, locks