E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.38 average.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #15921
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Why?

It doesn't take a fast car to drive recklessly... however the car does make the temptation more present.

The kid was a dumbass for driving like that on a public road. It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are... there is a time and a place for everything. In this case, $100 for a track day would have been alot cheaper than the cost of an M3 and the embarrassing that he got from that video being watched by every car person with internet access. (all of which he deserved)

He can't even drive manual

I gotta agree... I cant say I have never gone for a spirited drive on some back roads... but I did know the roads. It seemed like he did not, some what of a blind turn due to the crest. Secondly, I dont understand why someone would upload and post a embarassing crash like that. Just makes you look like an inexperienced idiot.

Finally... it actually is a 6 speed He just cant drive.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #15922
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
I gotta agree... I cant say I have never gone for a spirited drive on some back roads... but I did know the roads. It seemed like he did not, some what of a blind turn due to the crest. Secondly, I dont understand why someone would upload and post a embarassing crash like that. Just makes you look like an inexperienced idiot.

Finally... it actually is a 6 speed He just cant drive.

Same here. I've had close calls. Did a 360 about 5 feet from a river once. When I do go out, I'm with people that know the roads. Still, I only go like 6/10ths. My car slides around way too much. I try to get all of my crazy driving out on the track and then take it easy on the streets.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #15923
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Hey guys, figured i'd throw the BMW on the dyno before I let it go.

Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #15924
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
Why?

It doesn't take a fast car to drive recklessly... however the car does make the temptation more present.

The kid was a dumbass for driving like that on a public road. It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are... there is a time and a place for everything. In this case, $100 for a track day would have been alot cheaper than the cost of an M3 and the embarrassment that he got from that video being watched by every car person with internet access. (all of which he deserved)

He can't even drive manual

EDIT: SOOO many internet badasses in the comments on that video
When I drive like that on public roads it's about 7/10ths if that. AAAAAANNNNNDDDD I know the road. It wasn't how he was driving it was that he didn't know the road and completely missed the apex and there was a hill that unsettled the car. Video was funny as hell though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post

Now that sh1t is funny.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #15925
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Chump Car racing home page.

http://www.chumpcar.com/about.php
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #15926
Andy2108

Quote:

I call shenanigains.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #15927
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Same here. I've had close calls. Did a 360 about 5 feet from a river once. When I do go out, I'm with people that know the roads. Still, I only go like 6/10ths. My car slides around way too much. I try to get all of my crazy driving out on the track and then take it easy on the streets.
I wish I could have ridden with you before I moved. I don't know why you say your call slides around too much. That's controled by you not the car.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #15928
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I wish I could have ridden with you before I moved. I don't know why you say your call slides around too much. That's controled by you not the car.
Gotta say the same... My car feels very planted 90% of the time... the other 10% might be on purpose
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #15929
Andy2108

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...finery-bad-gas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
Gotta say the same... My car feels very planted 90% of the time... the other 10% might be on purpose
Well I can get my rear end to slide out in 3rd gear on the exit of a gradual corner.

I still need to do that dyno
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #15930
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:

Well I can get my rear end to slide out in 3rd gear on the exit of a gradual corner.

You said it, "i". "i" can get my moms mini van to slide out doing 70 down the highway. The point is to drive the car at the limit before loosing grip which in turn makes you slower. You still havent read those books have you? Its all about setting the car up right, point of entry, weight balance, speed. For every corner and every corner is different.

So dont say that your "car" is loose. Say that "you" are loose, or "you" are off line, or "you" were off balance. Unless you are sebastain vettel or micheal schumacher its you, not the car. A great driver can take a poor handling car and still drive the wheels off it, drive it at the limit. One of the most important things ive been told is, "you have to find the limits of you before you can find the limits of the car".
Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #15931
Weapon ///M

My Ride: E46
Quote:
You said it, "i". "i" can get my moms mini van to slide out doing 70 down the highway. The point is to drive the car at the limit before loosing grip which in turn makes you slower. You still havent read those books have you? Its all about setting the car up right, point of entry, weight balance, speed. For every corner and every corner is different.

So dont say that your "car" is loose. Say that "you" are loose, or "you" are off line, or "you" were off balance. Unless you are sebastain vettel or micheal schumacher its you, not the car. A great driver can take a poor handling car and still drive the wheels off it, drive it at the limit. One of the most important things ive been told is, "you have to find the limits of you before you can find the limits of the car".
^ Thissssss

And how the **** did you do a 360 on the street, Andy. O_O

Last edited by Weapon ///M; 08-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Weapon ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #15932
Rubenk

Quote:

While I agree with what brad said, I still dont think the car should even be able to do that if setup correctly. Tires or suspension need work IMO.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #15933
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
While I agree with what brad said, I still dont think the car should even be able to do that if setup correctly. Tires or suspension need work IMO.
Noooooooooooooo, this statement is the biggest problem with young/new track drivers. They immediately think just because there is a performance issue that they should tune around it. Tune the driver not the car. I can take the same turn a dozen times and make the car handle a different way each time.

I think it starts with video games. The race and race then come to a race where they are just a bit behind. Instead of perfecting their driving they just go to the tuning shop and throw on every mod they can afford.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #15934
Rubenk

Quote:
Noooooooooooooo, this statement is the biggest problem with young/new track drivers. They immediately think just because there is a performance issue that they should tune around it. Tune the driver not the car. I can take the same turn a dozen times and make the car handle a different way each time.

I think it starts with video games. The race and race then come to a race where they are just a bit behind. Instead of perfecting their driving they just go to the tuning shop and throw on every mod they can afford.
Sure he could learn to drive the current setup, but I dont think the car should even do what he is saying it does.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #15935
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Sure he could learn to drive the current setup, but I dont think the car should even do what he is saying it does.
If you cant drive a bad setup then a good setup is just going to cover up mistakes which provides a false confidence. His car is setup almost exatcly like mine so my guess is its not the car. Which is fine, hes done one de and got shorted on instructor time. Im not expexcting him to be the next bill auberlen. I just want him to stop thinking its the car. He will never be as good as he can be until he realizes there is a lot to learn.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #15936
Weapon ///M

Quote:

I think I can honestly say that after the DE and that following Touring day, I truly understand what is meant by this. It's one of those things that you hear and go "yeah I know" but you don't truly understand it until you get an actual feel for it through real life experience. I had just started rotation via throttle on the exit of the apex during the DE and practiced rotating with trail braking pretty much the entire Touring day. I still have so far to go and so much to learn...

After that last track day I felt like I had just hit a "breaking point" where all of the sudden some things just "clicked", I'm pissed I won't be able to pursue it on the track for awhile... Anyway, since I'm done with track time for awhile I thought I'd experiment on the street with my car control and ability to manipulate slip and understeer/oversteer with steering and throttle response (my inputs). I've driven the past couple weeks with my all season 205's in front and my R-Comp 265's in the rear, holy understeer right? With proper steering response and throttle input I'm able to induce rotation and work around the understeer. In fact, the car doesn't understeer one bit if I as the driver don't let it. I just went out tonight on a spirited drive with the 205's on all 4 corners and was able to take the turns just the same as with the 265's squared and 205/265 combo by adjusting MY input. No understeer and no oversteer, so long as I control the car that way.

Just an example I thought I could use, hopefully It's not too hard to understand my lingo...
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #15937
Rubenk

The street is also the worst place to really determine what is going on too, too many variables.

Just find it odd that my supercharged mustangs on drag radials wouldnt exactly "kick out the rear" at 70mph on a slight turn. But Andy's M3 on good tires will. If anything, the results should be exact opposite.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #15938
PerkM3
Account Under Review

And just think, if you would have listen to me the first time you would have learned those lessons a lot sooner.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #15939
Weapon ///M

Quote:
And just think, if you would have listen to me the first time you would have learned those lessons a lot sooner.
I'm stubborn
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #15940
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon ///M View Post
I'm stubborn
I think you thought i didnt know what i was talking about.

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku