E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.36 average.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #15941
Weapon ///M

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I think you thought i didnt know what i was talking about.
Not at all, I just couldn't fell it for myself. Sometimes it's just best to learn some things on your own, at least for me personally. I always take your input to heart, you've helped A LOT.
Weapon ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #15942
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon ///M View Post
Not at all, I just couldn't fell it for myself. Sometimes it's just best to learn some things on your own, at least for me personally. I always take your input to heart, you've helped A LOT.
You should have let me or someone drive your car. Its amazing what an experience it is to be shown what your car can do. I remember when james drove my car, truly and eye opener as to how much work there really is to it.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #15943
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
I know the difference between "I can get" and "My car does...". The other day it really did slip on accident though, 2nd gear at 10-20 mph, hard left turn with throttle on hot and very trafficked pavement. I wasn't expecting it and I had to correct alot.

Obviously its my driving. I'm not blaming the car and I'm not actively modding it so its faster. I mod to make it drive the best I guess. I'm really only doing maintenance for a while though.

My cars setup is going to stay like it is now.

Last edited by Andy2108; 08-23-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #15944
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
I know the difference between "I can get" and "My car does...". The other day it really did slip on accident though, 2nd gear at 10-20 mph, hard left turn with throttle on hot and very trafficked pavement. I wasn't expecting it and I had to correct alot.

Obviously its my driving. I'm not blaming the car and I'm not actively modding it so its faster. I mod to make it drive the best I guess. I'm really only doing maintenance for a while though.

My cars setup is going to stay like it is now.
Like I've told you before, modding is like a band aid. It gives you the feeling of going faster but the quesiton is why? Did you increase the hp, thus its faster down the straight? Did you change your line, thus you're faster through the corner? Did you change your tires, thus you have more grip?

There are so many things that you can change but it comes down to changeing the car or you. The M3 is already a fantastic machine and far exceeds the abilities of most drivers. You start off behind the 8 ball, you are playing catch up. I assure you that any entry level it's not the car causing any problems. Unless you are a pro then it's you. Even if it was the car, the key to becoming a good driver is learning to control the car and drive it at it's limit in every condition. Conditions are constantly changing so the driver must constantly change. That's the point that I'm trying to make. There are 2 limits, the cars, and most importantly the drivers. For example, I knew that when I was at Hallett in 2011 that I was no where near the limit of my car, still no where near it. James clay got in and proved it. He drove the same exact car I was driving faster. If Bill Auberlen was there I'm sure he could have got in after James and drove it even faster still. What does that tell me. It tells me that I have a lot to work on.

This is where I say data logging plays a huge roll in the learning process. If you are the only one that you are comparing against then eventually you will hit a platoe. This happens to all drivers, all, especailly me. I kept doing open track days trying every little thing I could, changeing my line, change my brake points, etc, etc, and etc. It wasn't until I got in the car with James that he showed me what the car had left, what the car could really do, and that if even had more still.

I think that for an entry level driver the best way to start is start with oem. That way you have a good platform that you know is right. Now, since most of us are mod whores that's not how it always plays out. Most people don't mod because they no they are going to track, atleast I didn't. I modded at first for the fun/cool factor. If that is the case then having a decent base setup is a good idea, for safety purposes. Then it is up to the driver to find every ounce of potential the car has. Then once the car is truely holding the driver back then it's time to change things. I know it doesn't always, if ever, work out that way but I myself feel that would be best.

This isn't just directed at you either Andy, these are just my thoughts as a whole. Anyone can take them or leave them, most of which is what I've picked up through reading and conversations with experienced drivers and some from personal experience.

As for your experience you had the other day with loosing crip all of a sudden. The biggest problem with street driving is that anything can happen at any given momment. Was there a bump in the road, a different patch of pavement, water, oil, dirt, gravel, was it shaddy there (cooler pavement). Could be anything. The other bad thing about the street is you never really know the road. Even if you've taken the turn 100 times before on 100 different days it's always different.

Sorry for all that rambling, I just had a monster.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #15945
Andy2108

ill read that later, but I've never said anything about the car being loose or tailhappy or oversteer prone when on the track.

road != track
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #15946
Weapon ///M

Brad and his monsters.

I plan on going the all stock route with the M3, a track day for each mod.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #15947
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Ryan you parting out? I might want a few things you got, I pay cash.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #15948
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
ryan you parting out? I might want a few things you got, i pay cash.
gtfo
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #15949
Andy2108

Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #15950
xixixi
Banned User

I can pay cash now...
Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #15951
Weapon ///M

Just the mods.

I'll be parting out the following:

- Vorsteiner CF GTR Hood
- Seibon CF CSL Trunk
- BC Racing BR Type Coilovers (Stage 1)
- VMR VB3 Matte Black 18x8.5 Squared
- APEX ARC-8 Anthracite 18x9 squared
- Dinan Aluminum/CF Strut Bar
- Dinan CF Tube Cold Air Intake
- UUC TSE3 Cat-Back Exhaust
- Smoked/Red LED Tail-Lights
- PFC 06 Race Pads (50% pad life left)

Uhhh, I think that's it. I'm keeping the lighting that's currently on the car.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #15952
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Just the mods.

- Vorsteiner CF GTR Hood
- Seibon CF CSL Trunk

PM'd
Old 08-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #15953
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Just the mods.

- Vorsteiner CF GTR Hood
- Seibon CF CSL Trunk

Ghey.

F and e46......get an exige.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #15954
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Ghey.

Those can be had at a decent price. At this point in life, pick a body style. Build the rest, period. So much cheaper too. An example, buy a miata throw a turbo kit on it run e85. No cooling issues, tons of info on the topic. You will be eating people all day. I wouldn't pick a miata, I was using it as an example of a tried and proven platform.

Last edited by xixixi; 08-23-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #15955
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Just the mods.

- Vorsteiner CF GTR Hood
- Seibon CF CSL Trunk

Lets put all that on the new truck and see how she does on the track!!
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #15956
Weapon ///M

Quote:
Ghey.

Nononono

I must haz teh e46 m threezy.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #15957
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Those can be had at a decent price. At this point in life, pick a body style. Build the rest, period. So much cheaper too. An example, buy a miata throw a turbo kit on it run e85. No cooling issues, tons of info on the topic. You will be eating people all day. I wouldn't pick a miata, I was using it as an example of a tried and proven platform.
I'm not sure I will ever "build" another car. I will always mod cars but if I ever want a car like my current ///M (which I will) I will buy one that is already built and change it slightly to my liking.

Including the purchase price I must have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-90k on my M and now I'm looking to get somewhere in the 30-40k range. I plan to capililize on someone elses hard work in the future.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #15958
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Nononono

I must haz teh e46 m threezy.
Don't get me wrong, I love my BMW M3 but why not spend less and get more or even better spend a bit more and get a whole lot more.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #15959
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Epic just released a dyno of their long tube stepped headers. The gain on the top end was there although small. The real gain was the 20+ hp and 20+ torque they gained at 4k rpm. These plus the bimmerworld exhaust would be godly.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #15960
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Nitrous plus the bimmerworld exhaust would be godly.
Agreed!

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku