E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.38 average.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #16081
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
Good to know... Yeah I gotta talk to Greg soon anyways for a detail. As far as tracking, yeah I would just swap them out if need be since I would be changing my wheels anyways.

Nice... I will have to hit you up when the time comes. Not sure if I want to wait and put it off till I order the new coilovers... Already have mine sold, just gotta find time and make sure I have the extra cash to splurge...

I just ordered stuff for an oil/filter change. So Im gonna check some other stuff out while I am at it. I just hope it doesnt turn out like last time Brad was checking his VANOS and everything....

Brad =
Good luck bro, it's better to catch it sooner than later though.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #16082
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
contemplating doing a european delevery on my dads new e92 m3
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #16083
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
If i ever buy a new BMW i would do it no other way. BMW tour then drive that bitch to the ring.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #16084
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
Quote:
I would definitely do this... You actually save something like 4k off MSRP... which is enough to cover the plane tickets. Plus you get 15 day insurance on the car while you are there...

My only concern would be once I got there I might want the new F10 instead
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #16085
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
I would definitely do this... You actually save something like 4k off MSRP... which is enough to cover the plane tickets. Plus you get 15 day insurance on the car while you are there...

My only concern would be once I got there I might want the new F10 instead
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
If i ever buy a new BMW i would do it no other way. BMW tour then drive that bitch to the ring.
We would be going between xmas and new years. They offer to rent you snow tires. And it won't be broken in very well. Hmm...

Snow tires get scary fast at like 90-100mph

Oh, the F10 is MASSIVE. Originally he was debating between the new M5 and an M3, but the F10 is so huge and expensive... it's not what he's looking for.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #16086
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
We would be going between xmas and new years. They offer to rent you snow tires. And it won't be broken in very well. Hmm...

Snow tires get scary fast at like 90-100mph

Oh, the F10 is MASSIVE. Originally he was debating between the new M5 and an M3, but the F10 is so huge and expensive... it's not what he's looking for.
What do you mean by broken in well?

Leave the dealership sideways if you want to break it in for best performance!
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #16087
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
What do you mean by broken in well?

Leave the dealership sideways if you want to break it in for best performance!
I don't know much about it but from what I've been told by the teams I've spoken with you are absolutely right. Beat that sh1t from mile number 1.

When I had my diff built I asked I asked Jim (Jim Blanton was the diff builder) what the break in period was and he said "haha (chuckle), that's a myth. Drive it like you will drive it from the beginning".

Like I said though, I'm not sure and if I bought a brand new 70k+ M3 I think I may baby it for a while.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #16088
Rubenk

Here is one article that I reference on the topic. Obviously it is as controversial as it gets, but in my experience it has seemed true. I've also never broken in a brand new engine personally though.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #16089
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Here is one article that I reference on the topic. Obviously it is as controversial as it gets, but in my experience it has seemed true. I've also never broken in a brand new engine personally though.

You are right, it doesn't get much higher as far as controversial topics go.

That's a good read and like I mentioned, that's what I had been told by many others.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #16090
Rubenk

Dont remember if I already said it, but i'm getting window tint and remote start installed at KCTrends on Friday.

Then i'll order a tuner and DPF/DOC delete and make some BOOST!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #16091
NoMoreIdeas

My Ride: 01 M3
I've built 5 motors so far, 2 for my MR2. On the previous ones I have been very easy on them through the first 1000 miles and gradually got more aggressive for the next 500. They all turned out fine, but on my current motor I started it, verified oil pressure, drove around the block, changed oil, then spun it to 8200 rpm and 15 - 18 psi of boost every time i drove it for the past ~4500 miles. It has the best compression numbers of the motors i've had in it and has taken the abuse like a champ.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading up on proper break in procedure, and it looks like driving it normally from mile 1 is the way to go. The hone on the cyl wall doesn't last that long to really seat the rings and is important to put a load on it early on. The biggest thing to worry about is debris in the oil, so changing that a few times early on is very important.
NoMoreIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #16092
Andy2108

Interesting. Will be something that we have to keep in mind. I'm not sure, but I think they don't let you rev over like 5k for the first 500 miles or something.

The new M5 and M6's are making 500 hp to the wheels stock O.O
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #16093
tnord

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIdeas View Post
I've spent quite a bit of time reading up on proper break in procedure, and it looks like driving it normally from mile 1 is the way to go. The hone on the cyl wall doesn't last that long to really seat the rings and is important to put a load on it early on. The biggest thing to worry about is debris in the oil, so changing that a few times early on is very important.
+1

race motors we break in on the dyno.

the one i built i ran it for 5 min on junk oil and a good filter to check for leaks and let it all cycle through. dumped it all out, changed the filter, and the next time it ran was in qualifying. changed oil and filter again after qualifying to the redline that would be used throughout its life and away we go. it made great power.

rings get seated very quickly. luckily, part of the PPI for new vehicles when they arrive at the dealer is for a tech to go run it to redline...so it's already taken care of. the "easy" break in is born from the time when mfg methods were not nearly as good and there actually was a fair bit of debris getting into the oil during the first few thousand miles.
2010 Mazda 3

Last edited by tnord; 09-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #16094
Andy2108

Quote:

Woha, lots of good info there. I just spent about 2 hours reading parts 1 and 2. I just wish he would shut up about "thinking outside of the box" and whatnot and just tell me how to break in or build an engine the best.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #16095
Rubenk

Quote:
Woha, lots of good info there. I just spent about 2 hours reading parts 1 and 2. I just wish he would shut up about "thinking outside of the box" and whatnot and just tell me how to break in or build an engine the best.
Yea he is certainly full of himself, but some good info.

Keep in mind there are probably other sites saying the exact opposite.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #16096
Andy2108

Yeah.

I want to believe it though. Our boxster's original engine only lasted 10,000 miles before the cylinder heads had to be replaced, and then the cylinder walls were badly scored. I'm pretty sure we broke that car in extremely carefully.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #16097
lawsonsdl

My Ride: 2005 325Cic
Brad, nice picture of your car in Roundel magazine...there was a pretty good article about the inaugural 'Flat Out Classic' this month.
lawsonsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #16098
sly1types

My Ride: M3
Send a message via MSN to sly1types
Quote:
Dont remember if I already said it, but i'm getting window tint and remote start installed at KCTrends on Friday.

Then i'll order a tuner and DPF/DOC delete and make some BOOST!
Sweet! Do you have any pics with the tinted windows? What tunes are you going to run? the 275hp?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #16099
sly1types

My Ride: M3
Send a message via MSN to sly1types
Quote:
Interesting. Will be something that we have to keep in mind. I'm not sure, but I think they don't let you rev over like 5k for the first 500 miles or something.

The new M5 and M6's are making 500 hp to the wheels stock O.O
Its not that they don't let you...it's that you shouldn't.

With the E46M3 there was a 1200 mile break in and they said you shouldn't rev past 5500rpms and nothing over 105mph. There was even a decal on the window reminding you. This was even for the bearing recall so you had to do it twice for original owners.

I didn't make it 1200 miles, but I did it for 700 miles or so then I raced a M3 on the highway to 145...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #16100
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonsdl View Post
Brad, nice picture of your car in Roundel magazine...there was a pretty good article about the inaugural 'Flat Out Classic' this month.
Well thank you sir, it was pretty cool to see. Im hoping to get my copy framed, will be bad ass to have that in my man cave someday.

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku