E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.27 average.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #16121
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Your dads not getting a dct/auto is he?

Autos are for cripples and women
If I were to buy an e92 M3 I would 100% get a DCT. The technoligy is far superior to a 6 speed. Faster shifting and automated rev matching, why wouldn't you?

And it's no where near an auto, it's pretty much a manual with two clutches instead of one.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #16122
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Your dads not getting a dct/auto is he?

Autos are for cripples and women
k.

a dct is not just any auto. he dailyed my old 330 for a while, but his knee bothers him. this will be his daily. I see no problem with the dct... yes it will be a dct car
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #16123
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
If I were to buy an e92 M3 I would 100% get a DCT. The technoligy is far superior to a 6 speed. Faster shifting and automated rev matching, why wouldn't you?

And it's no where near an auto, it's pretty much a manual with two clutches instead of one.
and two clutch pedals
Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #16124
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
No FF for me, i'm down south for the weekend.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #16125
sly1types

My Ride: M3
Send a message via MSN to sly1types
I am well aware what a dct is.

I think its cheating. It's a huge disconnect from driving. You might as well be driving a mini van. Or a Mercedes lol!

Brad-

You should just learn how to drive a stick, like a man.

Andy- if his knee bothers him he gets a pass....
Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #16126
Andy2108

it is totally cheating. it takes zero skill to do perfect revmatch downshifts.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #16127
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
I am well aware what a dct is.

I think its cheating. It's a huge disconnect from driving. You might as well be driving a mini van. Or a Mercedes lol!

Brad-

You should just learn how to drive a stick, like a man.

Andy- if his knee bothers him he gets a pass....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
it is totally cheating. it takes zero skill to do perfect revmatch downshifts.
I will use the phrase "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying". I'm all about being faster than the other guy, it's more enjoyable when it's because of your driving skill but if there's an advantage out there then I will never not take it. And if it's not in the rules than it's not cheating.

I completely understand where you are coming from, it's a drivers aid, but faster is faster and that's all I will ever care about.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #16128
sly1types

Just wait till you have to explain to your child what a standard transmissions was. They almost didn't put a std in the new m5 because of you guys.

It's the joy of driving a fast/fun car.

Dct would only be good if it came with a 3rd pedal.

It's one thing to have a 328i auto...but it's another to have an auto ///m car. Unless you have some ailment that doesn't let you.

A few years ago when we almost bought a m5 it was going to be the 6 spd.

Brad- your not a race car driver so row them gears boy!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #16129
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Just wait till you have to explain to your child what a standard transmissions was. They almost didn't put a std in the new m5 because of you guys.

It's the joy of driving a fast/fun car.

Dct would only be good if it came with a 3rd pedal.

It's one thing to have a 328i auto...but it's another to have an auto ///m car. Unless you have some ailment that doesn't let you.

A few years ago when we almost bought a m5 it was going to be the 6 spd.

Brad- your not a race car driver so row them gears boy!
I will never own any other BMW than an M3 (na) and i will never use that car as a daily. It will be strictly a weekdend/track car, so excuse me if i want what is best for those situations.

I do not own a street car, i own a race car, i care only about being the fastest i can, and if a dct transmission will help me achieve that then thats what i want.

I dont see manual transmissions in F1, those guys must be punk ass b1tches.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #16130
Andy2108

uh oh

http://jalopnik.com/5945358/bmw-tell...r-cars-or-else
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #16131
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
3 pedals is more fun. Fun beats pussy, fun is king. DCT is king of the track, sure computers beat out humans and the gap will continue to grow. Hell Brad, will that logic. In a few years, you won't even drive the car but for a lap for the computers to learn how to drive each corner perfectly. You should invest in a baller video camera so you can record sick angles of the car driving itself. Take a few more years, your car will decide it can lap faster without you in it. Then the computers will realize they need to build a new track cause turn 4 has a slight incline. Ok, back to reality. The more you rely on a computer the more headaches you will have. Mechanical wins every time. DCT = double trouble from all sides and mucho M moneys.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #16132
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
3 pedals is more fun. Fun beats pussy, fun is king. DCT is king of the track, sure computers beat out humans and the gap will continue to grow. Hell Brad, will that logic. In a few years, you won't even drive the car but for a lap for the computers to learn how to drive each corner perfectly. You should invest in a baller video camera so you can record sick angles of the car driving itself. Take a few more years, your car will decide it can lap faster without you in it. Then the computers will realize they need to build a new track cause turn 4 has a slight incline. Ok, back to reality. The more you rely on a computer the more headaches you will have. Mechanical wins every time. DCT = double trouble from all sides and mucho M moneys.
Good point. It may be technically faster on track, with an understood advantage, but its just another disconnect from the car and one less human controlled variable.

The technology has been there for years. But who would make a car that people don't drive? Where's the fun in that?

Forget training the car to be as fast as possible. That's the easy part. Just change some variables and send it out for a few laps to see how it does, then analyze the data.

I think it would take ALOT of dedication to build up the artificial intelligence required to keep control of the car once an uncontrollable variable is changed. People can gain a feel for changing brake / tire temps or a change in road surface... but teaching a computer to account for all of that and calculate inputs in real time (if, say, the car slides) would be nearly impossible. That BMW in the video never went fast so the tires wouldn't randomly loose grip or something, and actually it was programed by a human driving it so it wasn't doing much more than adjusting a few things from that set of instructions.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #16133
Rubenk

Andy, the technology already exists. You might of heard of these unmanned drones flying around nowadays?

If not, there is also a race across the desert by unmanned vehicles, although not quite the same as a road course.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #16134
sly1types

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Truth. This is part of reason I bow hunt.

Name one DCT transmission that can handle modded power. Also regular clutch 2k. M3 DCT clutch job 7k++

Another thing to consider for those people with less than 7 zeros in the account
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #16135
PerkM3
Account Under Review

You know whats not fun, losing is not fun. Im not sure if any of you have ever done competitive athletics, whether its racing or not, but there is nothing i hate more than losing. You can say whatever you want about if you lose work harder to get better but thats just fvcking retarted. You will not find an athlete in the world in any sport that when you ask, "hey bud, i have this thing here thats gonna make you just a bit better then the compitition" and the athlete says, "na brah, i like second place". Manufactures strive to make the lightest shoes and the best bats for a reason, you dont see the best athletes in the world, no matter what the sports, using sh1t your mom bought you at walmart when you were a kid.

Im not like any of you, not like any of most people, i want to win everything in life. Whether its a street race, race to hand in a report, or beating someone in solitare. I don want to loose, so why not have something that makes my car faster. This "fun" **** is like handing out an 8th place ribbon at a spelling bee.

I 100% understand where you guys are coming from, and now you know where im coming from. I bought my m in the beginning to have fun but now i only drive it to win whether im competeing or not, i dont like driving if im not driving at my limit. If im giving point bys then im sure as hell not having fun, even if its a damn gtr that i know should be faster than me, i dont like losing. Like i told kevin the other night on the phone, i would sell my soul for this ****. If racing wasnt so damn expensive i would already he doing it, and if i wasnt winnin then i wouldnt be having fun. You better fvcking believe me when i say i wouldnt stop working untill i won.

Last edited by PerkM3; 09-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #16136
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Maybe ive just read to many books about what it takes to be a racing driver. I know i will never be one, at least not now, im a 26 year old professional not a forbes 400 business man. But i still only drive for one reason and now that ive had a taste i dont see that changing. If i gave every one of you some track time in my car you would see the light, not riding along, i mean behind the wheel, wringing every little last ounce of performance out, knowing there is no to very little room for error. Just thinking of it gives me chills.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #16137
Rubenk

I hate it when losers spell it "loosing"...
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #16138
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
I hate it when losers spell it "loosing"...
Hahahaha, i never claimed to be a good speller and this iphone doesnt help.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #16139
Rubenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Hahahaha, i never claimed to be a good speller and this iphone doesnt help.
I just figured you were under the "weather", whether you can spell or not is a different story.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #16140
sly1types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
I just figured you were under the "weather", whether you can spell or not is a different story.
funny shite yo

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku