E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.38 average.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #16241
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
The cost of maintenance on daily driving a car that you thrash at the track could easily be more than you want to spend per month. I just cant see it being a good idea.

Now if it was a non-M, with cheaper maintenance, but still a nice trackable car, then maybe.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #16242
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
The cost of maintenance on daily driving a car that you thrash at the track could easily be more than you want to spend per month. I just cant see it being a good idea.

Now if it was a non-M, with cheaper maintenance, but still a nice trackable car, then maybe.
This! M is the most expensive letter in the alphabet. It goes back to what Kevin was saying about an smg clutch job vs a non smg. Big $$$ difference, I won't stop saying e36 M52 good for 400wheel reliable and cheap to fix.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #16243
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:

I've done it before. When I first bought my e46 the first two years I drove 15k a year and about 5 track days. That's the appeal of getting the e92 M, I think being a little newer I will enjoy it more on the street and it will be a bit less maintenance.

I spoke with a buddy that had a street/track e46, then e90, and now an e92. All had pretty similar mods, so I asked him what he thought was best on the track (sense that's what I care most about). He said the e92 was light years ahead of the e46 in far of chasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
This! M is the most expensive letter in the alphabet. It goes back to what Kevin was saying about an smg clutch job vs a non smg. Big $$$ difference, I won't stop saying e36 M52 good for 400wheel reliable and cheap to fix.
I don't like FI for what I want to do and chasis suspension design is what matters most and the M has that, especially the e92.

The good news is that I talked with the wife and she is good with trading her Altima in so that I can get an e92 M3 next spring hopefully. So now I have a new car to research and learn about, I'm so excited.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #16244
Rubenk

Sounds good man, keep an eye peeled for a good deal on one!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #16245
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Sounds good man, keep an eye peeled for a good deal on one!
I've already got a list a couple page long for mods in the order I think I will want them. Fvck I have a problem.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #16246
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I've already got a list a couple page long for mods in the order I think I will want them. Fvck I have a problem.
Yeah. You're just going to do the exact same thing again, and you said you wouldn't. know know better than all of us that its many tens of thousands of dollars cheaper to buy somones racecar than to build one from the ground up. The only way I see this working would be for you to DD a street e92 and then return it back to stock whenever you get back to racing.

IIRC, you sold it because it was detracting too much from the rest of your life. Now that you finished building the e46 it was just down to little projects. you're heading down the exact same path but just on a different car. I guess that's what you wanted.

I would say get a e92 and do basic basic mods. no solid bushings, no roll bars.

Ill add in a few facts. M and non-M's aren't that different in running costs. the main difference is valve adjustments. other than that, they both have the same number of bushings and seals and hoses to go bad.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #16247
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Yeah. You're just going to do the exact same thing again, and you said you wouldn't. know know better than all of us that its many tens of thousands of dollars cheaper to buy somones racecar than to build one from the ground up. The only way I see this working would be for you to DD a street e92 and then return it back to stock whenever you get back to racing.

IIRC, you sold it because it was detracting too much from the rest of your life. Now that you finished building the e46 it was just down to little projects. you're heading down the exact same path but just on a different car. I guess that's what you wanted.

I would say get a e92 and do basic basic mods. no solid bushings, no roll bars.

Ill add in a few facts. M and non-M's aren't that different in running costs. the main difference is valve adjustments. other than that, they both have the same number of bushings and seals and hoses to go bad.
This is incorrect. What put my M over the top from a drivability standpoint was the exhuast, no front windows, lexan windows, no radio, no ac, and no interior.

The e92 will have all of that, and will have all of that atleast until I pay it off.

I sold my e46 to pay off any debt and create a substantial savings to buy a house and start a family.

The only reason that another M3 will work right now is the fact that I'm trading in one car (my wifes) for another.

The plan is:
Right when I get it to upgrade the brakes with pads/lines/fluid as well as PFC rotors and ducting (if it's in the budget). I will also get a set of track only wheels and street tires, something like the starspec or NT05.

Once I have the money I will began installing the seats (wider and comfier then what I have now), bolt in bar, harnesses. I will leave the carpet, back seats (will remove for track days), and door panels. Julie road in my e46 when it was like this and she had no complaints.

Once that phase is complete I will drop the big bucks on a MCS 2-way or 3-way suspension. This will be the big expense but one place I will not sacrifice anything. After experienceing what the Motons did for my e46 I will need the best. At this time I will also move to an R-comp tire and/or slick.

With the above upgrades I will through in minor cosmetics and power upgrades here and there but nothing that will affect the drivability of the car. I don't see any of the above as going down the same path as I once have. I think that car will be killer on the track and civil enough on the street that my wife can still ride in it.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #16248
PerkM3
Account Under Review

The only bad thing is that with a 3,600lb car I would need 440 whp to have a similar power to wieght, not that it is needed but sure would be nice on the street.

I want to be in the 400 whp club.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #16249
Rubenk

Quote:
The only bad thing is that with a 3,600lb car I would need 440 whp to have a similar power to wieght, not that it is needed but sure would be nice on the street.

Its not that great, the 500whp club is where its at. But we do buy alot more tires....
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #16250
Rubenk

What the hell is going on here?!

Brad sold the Race car, Kevin(sly) sold his powerstroke, is it time for me to start unicycle racing or something here?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #16251
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
You don't really NEED AC in CO. Most people I see driving around have ear buds in with some sort of media player. Exhaust could be quieted down for almost nothing. Interior doesn't matter much either unless your into real estate and constantly giving clients rides. I drive my bucket to work around town for groceries etc, it's paid off. Costs me 50 bucks a month for full coverage? NVM I didn't read the whole post "Wife can ride in it." Buy something she likes and mod that.

Last edited by xixixi; 10-23-2012 at 09:29 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #16252
Andy2108

Quote:
What the hell is going on here?!

Brad sold the Race car, Kevin(sly) sold his powerstroke, is it time for me to start unicycle racing or something here?
You
Travis
Brad
Marcus
Big Jake
Waylon

Quote:

Supercharger.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #16253
tnord

My Ride: 03 M3
well, technically i still own my race car. and marcus sold his M3, but he sold it to me.....so that's a zero sum game.
2010 Mazda 3
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #16254
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
You don't really NEED AC in CO. Most people I see driving around have ear buds in with some sort of media player. Exhaust could be quieted down for almost nothing. Interior doesn't matter much either unless your into real estate and constantly giving clients rides. I drive my bucket to work around town for groceries etc, it's paid off. Costs me 50 bucks a month for full coverage? NVM I didn't read the whole post "Wife can ride in it." Buy something she likes and mod that.
HAHAHAHAHA, yeah that's my plan. Getting an e92 and modding the **** out of it for four years. Then when it's paid off I will probably go nuts again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
You
Travis
Brad
Marcus
Big Jake
Waylon

Supercharger.
Na, I'll be happy with 400 ponies and I think I can get some weight out here and there. That power to weight I mentioned above was based on the e46's current pwr/wt and the e92 at stock curb weight.

I'm just thrilled I can get back into something and get on track sooner than later. At first I though I was gonna be out for years......plural......a long time. Now I may be back on track next spring which would be great.

After moving up here and not driving the car at all I really did miss be able to go out and drive just on a nice day. I will enjoy being able to do that again. But don't think for one second this car wont end up with a cage and buckets in the future.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #16255
PerkM3
Account Under Review

These are my favorite combos so far.

Alpine White on Fox Red
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32409763&Log=0

Alpine White on black
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30270770&Log=0

Space Grey Metalic on Black
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30888289&Log=0

Space Grey Metalic on Fox Red

Really my only must haves are carbon roof and DCT.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #16256
Rubenk

That grey looks boring. Alpine White is always nice, but you've already had one.

Personally my next "fun" car will be blue, preferably something similiar to Sonic Blue.

My SB Cobra
https://sites.google.com/site/roking06/DSCN0193.JPG
https://sites.google.com/site/roking06/DSCN0200.JPG

*edited for big pics, just click the links*

Last edited by Rubenk; 10-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #16257
tnord

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:

Really my only must haves are carbon roof and DCT.
...so that the car does the h-t for you.
2010 Mazda 3
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #16258
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
That grey looks boring. Alpine White is always nice, but you've already had one.

Personally my next "fun" car will be blue, preferably something similiar to Sonic Blue.

My SB Cobra
https://sites.google.com/site/roking06/DSCN0193.JPG
https://sites.google.com/site/roking06/DSCN0200.JPG

*edited for big pics, just click the links*
The grey will look bad ass when I go GT3 RS theme with red wheels, mirrors, and roll cage. Alpine White is my fav with the fox red but like you mentioned, I've already had that. I really just don't like any other colors, red is to loud, and after owning my first black car I don't want anything dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnord View Post
...so that the car does the h-t for you.
LOL, heck ya. Not really though, since I'm trading my wifes daily in to make this happen I have to get something that she can drive to incase of an emergency. I'm working on the 6mt with her. I just know that the last day I took my M out I really realized how much I like rowing gears.

The DCT is the way of the future though, that's for sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #16259
Rubenk

I DO like gray, just not that one. Dark Shadow Grey is the color i'm familiar with, sure there are similiar colors out there. Could of just been those photos though.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #16260
Andy2108

brad you will either need to find a non-moonroof option or a competition pack car. I think competition was 2011+

I agree, dtc is the way to go this time around. even if you miss having a third pedal every once and a while

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku