E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.24 average.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #16301
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnord View Post
the issue to me is that a safe 400hp car on track is not a safe 400hp car on the street. if you're really serious about becoming a better driver, the track car must have a full cage, fixed back seat, harness, kill switch, fire protection, etc. at that point the car not only becomes a PITA to use on the street but it's not safe either. without a helmet, the possibility of getting in a wreck and bashing your skull into metal tubing actually makes the car less safe on the street.

here's what happened to my old car with a measly 115whp. even with the full cage the occupant was layed up in a hospital for a few days.

I can't disagree with you, that's why when I started getting serious I added the necessary safety features in the e46. The other side of that is I guess that's why I have insurance, there are thousands and thousands of cars that track with out the features you speak of above. More or less every car at a DE is in stock trim. Doesn't make it right but that's just how it's gonna have to be for a while anyways.

My plan was to not worry about the safety stuff until I upgraded the suspension and moved back to r-comps. At that point I feel it is a must.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #16302
tnord

My Ride: 03 M3
you have track insurance or regular insurance? regular insurance rarely if ever covers incidents on track regardless of what you call them (SCCA does have coverage for participants which is what ended up covering the guy that was in my car at the time).

i'm not sure why suspension and tire upgrades cross the threshold from safe to dangerous. for example....doing 130mph into the kink at HPT is ok, but doing 135 after suspension and tire changes is suddenly dangerous enough to warrant a cage?

i get that there are a crapton of cars out there doing DE stuff bone stock. and if you ask me, those cars are going WAY WAY WAY too fast with minimal talent behind the wheel. i quit instructing because of that....i want no part of being in some 400hp vette or BMW that's going 130+ with an unknown quantity behind the wheel and me with no control in the passenger seat. people do stupid **** in DEs that get themselves and others killed. unfortunately you see it every year.

we all have different standards for safety, i get it. i'm just providing my perspective.
2010 Mazda 3
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #16303
NoMoreIdeas

My Ride: 01 M3
So my alternator decided to die on the M today and NO ONE that I can think of has it in the city! I've checked autozone, advanced, oreilly's, and Barron. Anyone have any ideas of who might have one locally? I'm going to tear it apart and check the brushes in the mean time, I bet thats it.
NoMoreIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #16304
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnord View Post
you have track insurance or regular insurance? regular insurance rarely if ever covers incidents on track regardless of what you call them (SCCA does have coverage for participants which is what ended up covering the guy that was in my car at the time).

i'm not sure why suspension and tire upgrades cross the threshold from safe to dangerous. for example....doing 130mph into the kink at HPT is ok, but doing 135 after suspension and tire changes is suddenly dangerous enough to warrant a cage?

i get that there are a crapton of cars out there doing DE stuff bone stock. and if you ask me, those cars are going WAY WAY WAY too fast with minimal talent behind the wheel. i quit instructing because of that....i want no part of being in some 400hp vette or BMW that's going 130+ with an unknown quantity behind the wheel and me with no control in the passenger seat. people do stupid **** in DEs that get themselves and others killed. unfortunately you see it every year.

we all have different standards for safety, i get it. i'm just providing my perspective.
I always insure my car with Lockton insurnace, so the car and any occupant are always covered.

Once again I can't disagree, the way you put it makes complete sense. 5-10 mph makes no difference. I guess I'm counting on BMW to save my life if I make a mistake, or if I hit oil, etc.

For me at this point I can't justify adding a cage/bar right away and most likely will not unless it's in the budget. I guess it is what it is.

Hind sight is 20/20, I guess maybe keeping the M3 and trading in my wifes car for a shitty daily would have made more sense. To late now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIdeas View Post
So my alternator decided to die on the M today and NO ONE that I can think of has it in the city! I've checked autozone, advanced, oreilly's, and Barron. Anyone have any ideas of who might have one locally? I'm going to tear it apart and check the brushes in the mean time, I bet thats it.
Man, if none of those people carry one I'm not sure who else would. Give Kendall at AutoTech a call, he may have one or may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #16305
tnord

My Ride: 03 M3
kudos for getting coverage for both you and any occupants.

i'm not trying to say i wouldn't ever set foot on track without a cage. i'd take my M out on track as is with no cage....but i'd be putzing around at 80% or something like that. if i was really trying to put in a good time with the M i'd have to pick somewhere like MAM where there isn't a thing you can possibly run into...HPT, road atlanta, etc. i want nothing to do with. i guess i just couldn't push it that hard without proper safety equipment anymore....in my younger/dumber days i would have, but not now.
2010 Mazda 3
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #16306
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Brad any updates about the car at VIR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIdeas View Post
That sucks. My sister's 2007 328XI w/ 33k miles was having electrical seizures early today. I think the voltage was too low and the systems were freaking out. The CAN bus was getting bad readings, and without that working properly (steering angle sensor, steering lock sensor, brake position sensor, other stuff) the car would TOTALLY freak out and not even start. I read something real quick posted to a forum that suggested banging your wrist on the wheel just before attempting to start it. Strangely enough it worked and we immediately took the car to Baron to get a quote. (will be going to Kendle at Autotech for the actual work )

The service adviser mentioned that it will need new rear brakes soon, which includes rear pads, rotors, and sensor. Normal cost is around $670. I pretty much laughed in his face at that point.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #16307
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Apperently it didnt get there in time. Last i heard it was supposed to get there today but i never heard from him.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #16308
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Bitches be crazy.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #16309
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
recent dyno day Overall im pretty happy...

Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #16310
PerkM3
Account Under Review

So dude e-mails me about the car. Says Tom Long is coaching him at VIR yesterday and today (which he rented out). Dude has waaaaaay to much money. If you don't know, Tom Long is a factory Porche driver.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #16311
Forcfed93

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
recent dyno day Overall im pretty happy...

Nice. What mods?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #16312
Rubenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
So dude e-mails me about the car. Says Tom Long is coaching him at VIR yesterday and today (which he rented out). Dude has waaaaaay to much money. If you don't know, Tom Long is a factory Porche driver.
Should of offered your instruction for a minimal fee!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #16313
NoMoreIdeas

My Ride: 01 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Brad any updates about the car at VIR?

That sucks. My sister's 2007 328XI w/ 33k miles was having electrical seizures early today. I think the voltage was too low and the systems were freaking out. The CAN bus was getting bad readings, and without that working properly (steering angle sensor, steering lock sensor, brake position sensor, other stuff) the car would TOTALLY freak out and not even start. I read something real quick posted to a forum that suggested banging your wrist on the wheel just before attempting to start it. Strangely enough it worked and we immediately took the car to Baron to get a quote. (will be going to Kendle at Autotech for the actual work )

The service adviser mentioned that it will need new rear brakes soon, which includes rear pads, rotors, and sensor. Normal cost is around $670. I pretty much laughed in his face at that point.
Sucks man. While taking the alternator out I broke the line running to the coolant reservoir trying to get it out of the plastic water neck. The damn thing was in there TIGHT!. So theres another $86 on top of the $220 alternator (not a bad price actually) I had carquest order. Thankfully, they are getting it in here today.

Also yesterday my afro-engineered IAC adapter on the MR2 finally broke, so I was down to 1 car and spent most of the night properly fabbing one up. Yesterday wasnt good luck in the car world I guess.

Last edited by NoMoreIdeas; 10-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.
NoMoreIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #16314
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcfed93 View Post
Nice. What mods?
Current "Go Fast" Mods:
Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers
CPI Custom Fab Power Pipe
Supersprint Non-Res X-Pipe
Supersprint Race Exhaust
RE Underdrive Power Pulleys
MS Drop-In Filter & Elbow
Evolve-R Tune
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #16315
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
your numbers are great. is that at the wheel??
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #16316
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
your numbers are great. is that at the wheel??
Yep.. Some people want to get "technical" and say they are not SAE corrected. I would assume mid-high 320's if you were to use the SAE correction.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #16317
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Yep.. Some people want to get "technical" and say they are not SAE corrected. I would assume mid-high 320's if you were to use the SAE correction.
Either way they are very good number. I cant remember what my sae correction factor was, but it should be the same. I would have loved to dyno around this time of year to see if the weather really makes a difference, some say it does some say it doesnt. All i know is that when i dyno'd it was hotter than sh1t out.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #16318
Rubenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Either way they are very good number. I cant remember what my sae correction factor was, but it should be the same. I would have loved to dyno around this time of year to see if the weather really makes a difference, some say it does some say it doesnt. All i know is that when i dyno'd it was hotter than sh1t out.
The intent of a "correction" factor is to make the weather not matter, but it still will.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #16319
cosmos///m3

You guys deaded???
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #16320
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
You guys deaded???
No joke, been slow as shiz lately.

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku