E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.06 average.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #17361
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Why not just get a super clean E36 M?

I would rock the hell out of a 4 door as a daily.
Oh I would love to find a clean e36 again. Thats the problem if they are clean they are pretty high in price... if not they look like they were not taken care of or have 120k+ miles.

I would also rock a 4 door, but I must say I hate how they didnt put the vaders in the 4 doors... Again those are harder to find as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #17362
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
I think I know someone who is selling some vaders...

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #17363
cosmos///m3

As some of you guys saw on my FB... I was beatin by $11.00 from owning a 99 MCoupe last night

...the search continues. Also picked up a 68 in a 45 this weekend
Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #17364
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
As some of you guys saw on my FB... I was beatin by $11.00 from owning a 99 MCoupe last night

...the search continues. Also picked up a 68 in a 45 this weekend
I've got a guy here in STL who is trying to sell his M vert. Lol.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #17365
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKiepper View Post
I've got a guy here in STL who is trying to sell his M vert. Lol.
Not a fan of verts...
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #17366
NoMoreIdeas

My Ride: 01 M3
Quote:
Not a fan of verts...
I second this
NoMoreIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #17367
NoMoreIdeas

Quote:
So not sure if you guys have been following any of the FI threads...As some of you may know I have been talking about later this year/first of next getting a SC (ESS550 or VF570) both somewhat of a wash as they are the same Vortech blower and yield basically the same results, just basically comes down to tuning. Well I have really started to research and made a few calls about this Max Psi Turbo kit. I'm really thinking about going this route instead. The Stage 1 kit is basically the same output as the SC kits maxed out with much more potential... (i.e. E85 meaning the ability to run more boost and more power on stock internals). The cost is actually a wash as well TBH since I would be selling my SS V1 headers and a few other misc. parts I think I would be able to recoupe some of the cost difference.

So... just thought I would throw that out there and see where the development leads in the next few months and possibly order me a kit towards the end of this year (prior to the wedding...before she has some say in what I spend my hard earned money on...since I'm hard at work earning it right meow )

Thoughts??
I think the Maximum PSI kit is the way to go, hands down. It looks like they have done a very good job putting together a quality kit, didn't go overboard and selected a good street sized turbo, and the factory ecu tuning is a HUGE plus. Centrifugal blowers, while good at making easy power, are just so inefficient for total room under the tq curve. My main gripe about those is that they make linear boost, making max boost at redline. A turbo will make max boost as soon as the airflow of engine will allow. So you can have 10lbs of boost from 3000rpm to 8000rpm with a turbo, or get a blower and have 2lbs of boost at 3000rpm, and 10lbs of boost by 8000rpm.

The 6266 tubo is awesome, I have a 6262 (slightly smaller exhaust turbine) on a 2.0l 4cyl and it straight hauls A$$; I cant imagine what the spool would be on a 3.2 I6.

Take a look at the 4th pic down, and look at the tq difference between the turbo and supercharger:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...17&postcount=1

The cool thing is that precision makes many different turbo sizes, and very similar housings. If you decide a 62mm turbo is too small for your taste, you can always bolt on a bigger one. I've been in the turbo world for quite a while now, so i'm partially biased

Last edited by NoMoreIdeas; 05-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #17368
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Why so?

I love my sedan, and will never part with it. The allure of a vert has always been tempting for me though.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #17369
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIdeas View Post
I think the Maximum PSI kit is the way to go, hands down. It looks like they have done a very good job putting together a quality kit, didn't go overboard and selected a good street sized turbo, and the factory ecu tuning is a HUGE plus. Centrifugal blowers, while good at making easy power, are just so inefficient for total room under the tq curve. My main gripe about those is that they make linear boost, making max boost at redline. A turbo will make max boost as soon as the airflow of engine will allow. So you can have 10lbs of boost from 3000rpm to 8000rpm with a turbo, or get a blower and have 2lbs of boost at 3000rpm, and 10lbs of boost by 8000rpm.

The 6266 tubo is awesome, I have a 6262 (slightly smaller exhaust turbine) on a 2.0l 4cyl and it straight hauls A$$; I cant imagine what the spool would be on a 3.2 I6.

Take a look at the 3rd pic down, and look at the tq difference between the turbo and supercharger:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...17&postcount=1

The cool thing is that precision makes many different turbo sizes, and very similar housings. If you decide a 62mm turbo is too small for your taste, you can always bolt on a bigger one. I've been in the turbo world for quite a while now, so i'm partially biased

I think I just decided that some day my m3 will be turbo'ed. Might be a while befre I get there though

I wonder how the engines feel at <4k rpm... if they feel more sluggish and less responsive.

Last edited by Andy2108; 05-06-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #17370
NoMoreIdeas

Quote:

I think I just decided that some day my m3 will be turbo'ed. Might be a while befre I get there though

I wonder how the engines feel at <4k rpm... if they feel more sluggish and less responsive.
The precision dual ceramic ball bearing housings spin VERY easily and shouldnt exhibit an exhaust restriction at low revs. If you stick with stock cams / head work I wouldnt think off boost would be any different from N/A. Perception may come into play, because once you get into boost for the first time you'll be feening for it like a crack addict, and the lack of boost at low rpm may seem slow comparatively.

I'm definitely considering this kit. Actually I would put together my own if it wasnt for the factory tune they have come up with.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #17371
cosmos///m3

Yeah I have talked to Luke at PSI and its a great kit... the only thing that worries me is like you say... its like crack. Just one more pound and just another... then BOOM!! I love the idea of the E85/flex fuel, but that is going to require a full new fuel system and you are talking another 4-5k on top of the base kit. Even though running higher fuel or e85 isnt as bad on the stock internals at those numbers (~700 range on 105 octor E85 ~500 on 93 octane) its still touching the limits... which gets you into wnating to build your motor = 4k in parts plus labor plus maching the block... just becomes a huge first world problem to have

I do however really like the JAWS Motorsports SC kit as well. I have also spoken to them about their kit. After all I have researched this really seems like the SC kit to have of all the ones on the market. The are actually also in the process of improving their stage 1 kit with a 8 rib and 10rib pulley system right now. Also their parts seem to be of higher quality more so that some of the other SC kits on the market as far as fabrication of their brackets...etc. They have shown power of up to 515whp on their stage 1 kit running 93. Their stage 2 again goes into building the motor...

Overall the PSI is the best kit with most protential... the ability to be running 93 and 500whp is great then put e85 into your car and push the sport button and now running ~700whp all on stock internals and stock DME is insane to think of.... but will get to be $$$
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #17372
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
Yeah I have talked to Luke at PSI and its a great kit... the only thing that worries me is like you say... its like crack. Just one more pound and just another... then BOOM!! I love the idea of the E85/flex fuel, but that is going to require a full new fuel system and you are talking another 4-5k on top of the base kit. Even though running higher fuel or e85 isnt as bad on the stock internals at those numbers (~700 range on 105 octor E85 ~500 on 93 octane) its still touching the limits... which gets you into wnating to build your motor = 4k in parts plus labor plus maching the block... just becomes a huge first world problem to have

I do however really like the JAWS Motorsports SC kit as well. I have also spoken to them about their kit. After all I have researched this really seems like the SC kit to have of all the ones on the market. The are actually also in the process of improving their stage 1 kit with a 8 rib and 10rib pulley system right now. Also their parts seem to be of higher quality more so that some of the other SC kits on the market as far as fabrication of their brackets...etc. They have shown power of up to 515whp on their stage 1 kit running 93. Their stage 2 again goes into building the motor...

Overall the PSI is the best kit with most protential... the ability to be running 93 and 500whp is great then put e85 into your car and push the sport button and now running ~700whp all on stock internals and stock DME is insane to think of.... but will get to be $$$
JAWS? Who are they? Never heard of them.

I was always under the impression ESS was the best supercharger on the market.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #17373
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
BTW, did y'all here that HPF went out of business.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #17374
Andy2108

Yeah just came here to post that.

I gotta admit, I saw it coming a long long time ago. Shops like that dont always last forever.

They were really influential in pushing the limits though. I think there are plans to attempt to continue. It seems like one of their big investors (ForcefedM3 maybe?) has rights to the kit and technology.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #17375
Andy2108

Quote:

Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #17376
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
HPF did work on E46 M3 and built good kits.

If they need 200.000 USD and the insurance pays 25.000 USD

we as members can collect 175.000 USD and help HPF.

If 50 volunteer members pay 3500 $ we will collect 175.000 $.

We need to be sure that 175k will get HPF back in business.

Those guys did work hard and now its the E46 community's turn to bring HPF back.

I am willing to pull the trigger and submit payment.
LOL

Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #17377
Andy2108

Jay (xixixi) got banned again

Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #17378
NoMoreIdeas

Quote:
LOL
Hahaha! I saw that earlier too.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #17379
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
JAWS? Who are they? Never heard of them.

I was always under the impression ESS was the best supercharger on the market.
ESS would be considered the most reputable given the US market. JAWS is a company out of Sweden. Very good stuff.... just obviously not known of as much in the US. Prices are also on par with ESS/VF, but with better gains... Still continuing to develop and better their kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
BTW, did y'all here that HPF went out of business.
I lol'ed.... maybe if their kits wouldnt detonate... and cost the same as your first born child....

Quote:
LOL
I Lol'ed even harder...

Quote:
Jay (xixixi) got banned again
What for this time??
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #17380
Andy2108

I think bashing HPF too bad.

Tags
gameboy86, i'll supra, kansas, lllsupra sucks, miz-zou, ohaimgremillion09, rockchalkjayhawkgoku