E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
ozymandias

My Ride: 330i ZHP, 94 MR2T
Fyi: I just finished a Bosch retrofit in one of my headlights: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=449574
ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
snitzl3

My Ride: e60 LCI
Send a message via AIM to snitzl3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias View Post
Fyi: I just finished a Bosch retrofit in one of my headlights: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=449574
dude! you have zkws you shouldve done the FX-R retro, final results wouldve been a million times better, FX-Rs fit perfectly in zkws

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...3bb131dab4bc66

if your interested in upgrading to some fx-r projectors theres going to be a group buy very soon, shoot me a pm
Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
ozymandias

I have read bad things about FX-Rs light output. If I went with FX, I would have gone with OEM FX. However, I liked the Bosch solution because (a) it's a part that BMW uses in other cars and (b) some people on hidplanet actually prefer E46 over FX so I am skeptical that they are as good as people are marketing them to be.

e: oh and (c) it's about $50 less

Last edited by ozymandias; 04-19-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
snitzl3

Quote:
I have read bad things about FX-Rs light output. If I went with FX, I would have gone with OEM FX. However, I liked the Bosch solution because (a) it's a part that BMW uses in other cars and (b) some people on hidplanet actually prefer E46 over FX so I am skeptical that they are as good as people are marketing them to be.

e: oh and (c) it's about $50 less
really? shoot me some links to some threads about that, im just curious to see what they said about them, cause ive read & seen nothing but top of the line positive reviews
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #25
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitzl3 View Post
FX-Rs fit perfectly in zkws

Oo really? You should try it and tell me if they fit perfectly lol I had to dremel and jb weld a lot, I didn't feel the fitment was "perfect"

it was a fun project though, well worth it!
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
Oo really? You should try it and tell me if they fit perfectly lol I had to dremel and jb weld a lot, I didn't feel the fitment was "perfect"

it was a fun project though, well worth it!
ok touche but dremel and jb weld is part of any retro . they fit better in ZKW than ALs....which is what ill be jumping into in the coming weeks
Old 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #27
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Quote:
So I would just unbolt my ZKW projectors from the headlight housing and bolt in the FX-R's the same or does it require modding to fit/mount? Also is the highbeam shutter connector the same as ZKW?

The light output does look nicer than my ZKW's at that website. I was the one who originally came across burnt ZKW bowls but luckily I was able to find an eBay ZKW bowl replacement for $100. Next time I may not be so lucky. I'm glad everyone is finding different alternatives!
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #28
ozymandias

Quote:
really? shoot me some links to some threads about that, im just curious to see what they said about them, cause ive read & seen nothing but top of the line positive reviews
Keep in mind a lot of those retrofit guys are obsessed with stupid crap like how pretty and colorful the cutoff is.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54053
Quote:
Quote:
I started out with the e46's and loved them. I heard alot of great things about the fx-r's and looked at all the comparison picks so I bought a pair and installed them. Now that I have been using the fx-r's for awhile I really dont like them.
Quote:
The "mountain" foreground of the FX and FXR are what turn me off. I know they're cheap and easy to retro because of their size and mounting, and I'm sure that is why most use them, but the output has always bothered me. It's like a nasty shadow and makes the beam look like two balloons. Never been a fan.

E46's are nice projectors. The single xenon I've played with I was impressed with its intensity in foreground and near the step which helps with seeing further. Never played with the bi-x Bosch.
Quote:
lack of foreground? hmm i would say the fxr has too much compared to other projector like e46. if anything the e46 has less foreground and a nice bright hotspot at the top. i would prefer e46 tho over fxr personally.
Quote:
ok touche but dremel and jb weld is part of any retro . they fit better in ZKW than ALs....which is what ill be jumping into in the coming weeks
Umm, I doubt that. My AL retrofit required no cutting, no drilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
So I would just unbolt my ZKW projectors from the headlight housing and bolt in the FX-R's the same or does it require modding to fit/mount? Also is the highbeam shutter connector the same as ZKW?

The light output does look nicer than my ZKW's at that website. I was the one who originally came across burnt ZKW bowls but luckily I was able to find an eBay ZKW bowl replacement for $100. Next time I may not be so lucky. I'm glad everyone is finding different alternatives!
The retrofit is a lot of work. More than the work I did for my AL retrofit. The high beam shutter is 2 wire just like the ZKW so you are ok there. Your ZKWs are shot. A 3 year old holding a flashlight would give you better light output.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Quote:
Your ZKWs are shot. A 3 year old holding a flashlight would give you better light output.
I know how that felt when I needed new projectors. It was horrible! Now that I have had them for a couple of years everything is fine and I still get comments on how much light output I really have compared to other's vehicles. I wonder much how long it'll last.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
snitzl3

Quote:
Keep in mind a lot of those retrofit guys are obsessed with stupid crap like how pretty and colorful the cutoff is.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54053

Umm, I doubt that. My AL retrofit required no cutting, no drilling.
I agree the fx-r has a lack of light in the foreground, but that can be fixed by adding a bulb spacer to each projector, also if you run fogs (yellow fogs for me) regularly that foreground light problem isn't really a problem anymore, also since our cars are lower than other cars and suvs and trucks the foreground light problem is pretty minimal. But hey to each is his own. Im going to be retro fitting fx-r in AL frames all installed in p46 housings...so cutting will def be neccessary
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #31
l8apex10

My Ride: ZHP, E36 M3
Quote:
I agree the fx-r has a lack of light in the foreground, but that can be fixed by adding a bulb spacer to each projector, also if you run fogs (yellow fogs for me) regularly that foreground light problem isn't really a problem anymore, also since our cars are lower than other cars and suvs and trucks the foreground light problem is pretty minimal. But hey to each is his own. Im going to be retro fitting fx-r in AL frames all installed in p46 housings...so cutting will def be neccessary

I'm strongly considering having Lightwerkz perform the FX-R retrofit on my ZKW bi-zenons. What is the foreground lighting concern?
l8apex10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #32
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8apex10 View Post
I'm strongly considering having Lightwerkz perform the FX-R retrofit on my ZKW bi-zenons. What is the foreground lighting concern?
ok its due to the reflector bowl having a little area cut out of it (just the way its made). In picture A below it shows the foreground light problem (Picture a is from a guy that did the retro on his odyssey which sits much higher than our cars)

picture A

as you can see the light stops as it gets closer to the car. HOWEVER...
our cars are a lot lower, so the area of unlit road gets smaller, and also if you put in a bulb spacer (a little ring that you get with the fx-r that spaces the bulb back slightly, the area where there isn't any light slight gets smaller, so if you combine the two: our lower cars & bulb spacers, the foreground light problem shouldnt be a problem at all

I dont have a pic of it mounted with the bulb spacer but here is a before and after bulb spacer pics, notice the darkness at the bottom drops a little when you add the spacer, i know the drop doesn't look like a lot but when you actually put that on the car it shouldnt be that big of a problem, especially if you run fogs all the time like i do

without spacer

with spacer

hope this helps you out
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #33
AlpineDan

My Ride: 05 325i
I have a set of ZKW headlights with burnt bowls that I'm doing a retrofit on. I already have the headlights apart I'm just waiting on the new projectors to show up from TRS. The main part of it is mounting the projectors and getting them straight. Other than that it shouldn't take long at all hopefully, haha. Almost always something comes up to slow my projects down. I took a few pictures so far since I had the idea to DIY this project not sure yet though. I can't wait to have it all done with great results.
AlpineDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #34
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDan View Post
I have a set of ZKW headlights with burnt bowls that I'm doing a retrofit on. I already have the headlights apart I'm just waiting on the new projectors to show up from TRS. The main part of it is mounting the projectors and getting them straight. Other than that it shouldn't take long at all hopefully, haha. Almost always something comes up to slow my projects down. I took a few pictures so far since I had the idea to DIY this project not sure yet though. I can't wait to have it all done with great results.
def post up some results, i found these two pics on the lightwerkz site in their photo gallery, it might give you some ideas of how to go about mounting the projectors.

Ive circled the areas where it looks like they mounted the projectors.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #35
aidan530

My Ride: e46 m3
I did the fxr retrofit and I have not had any foreground lighting issues. But of course I don't sit with my head on the roof looking at the ground in front of the car. I Also didn't have to use any jbweld, just nuts and bolts, and washers. I don't know how I ever drove at night without them.

One thing I did use was that aluminum tape to stop any light from escaping out behind the shroud or frame.
aidan530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #36
AlpineDan

My Ride: 05 325i
oh nice, thanks. I didn't go with the fx-r like most others. I went with the lexus rx-afs/tsx-r because light output is better and I never use my high beams anyways. I think within the last two years of owning the car I've used them maybe 4 times. Matt from TRS was really helpful pointing me in the right direction. When I took the headlights apart the bezels were flaking a little bit and had slight burn marks on them so I decided to paint them black. Here's a picture of what the bezel looks like in the housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black bezel 2.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	356865  

Last edited by AlpineDan; 04-20-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Ninja spelling edit
AlpineDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #37
maverick7676

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8apex10 View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought lightwerkz only do TFX conversions, not FX-R. I was gonna have Ceasar to work on my ZKW, but if FX-R is just a bolt on mod, I'll re-consider it. Someone please post a DIY on this.

However, this is a huge safety issue and we should consider a class action lawsuit for the recall of all ZKW bi-xenons.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #38
ozymandias

TFX is an OEM FX projector with a TSX lens. So it's pretty similar to the FX-R, probably even better since it is an OEM reflector.

I just scored a complete AL headlight assembly for the other side on ebay...only $240 shipped. So no more retrofitting. I can probably sell my old ZKW assembly for parts.

maverick, you are right this is a huge safety issue but nobody seems interested in starting a lawsuit.

edit: A retrofit is never a bolt on mod.

Last edited by ozymandias; 04-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #39
aidan530

My Ride: e46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick7676 View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought lightwerkz only do TFX conversions, not FX-R. I was gonna have Ceasar to work on my ZKW, but if FX-R is just a bolt on mod, I'll re-consider it. Someone please post a DIY on this.

However, this is a huge safety issue and we should consider a class action lawsuit for the recall of all ZKW bi-xenons.
No definitely not just bolt in. It has to be dremeled the same as the TFX.
aidan530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #40
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick7676 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan530 View Post
No definitely not just bolt in. It has to be dremeled the same as the TFX.
right def not just bold in but if you look at the zkw frame (below)

and compare it to the fxr projector

notice how the four mounting holes on the projector are farther apart than the mounting holes on the zkw, and you have all that plastic to screw into/jbweld to. now for someone with absolutely no diy knowledge and knowledge of basic tools and figureing things out would be in trouble, but to me it looks like it wouldn't be that hard at all to figure out a way to mount the projector

Tags
burned projectors, dim lights, xenon, zkw