E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
wallie330i

My Ride: 330i
Best E46 for track events

I used to have a 2001 330I several years ago and it was a great car. I want to get into tracking but not competitively. If you had a choice, which E46 would you buy due to its track friendliness? The goal will be to strip which ever car I end up with. Things I would like to consider are cost, power, chassis, and upgradability.

Thanks!
wallie330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
hard question... Not! The M3 of course, but if youre talking about drag racing then just go buy a mustang, corvette, or camaro. BMW's are not meant for the drag strip in anyway shape or form. You go right ahead and launch an M3 (or anyother of the e46's) at the drag strip with some slicks on there and tell me how long the output shafts from the diff hold up. I know! Not long!
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
wallie330i

My Ride: 330i
Definitely not into drag racing.
wallie330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Well then I'd still say the M3 for sure, but if that is out of your price range then I would say a 330i or maybe a 328i. It is a little easier to make more power from the M52 series engine but it does start with a lower amount of power to begin with, as far as suspension, driveline, and brake all of the same mods are more or less available. I would honestly say that if the e46 M3 is out of your price range then you might go for the e36 M3 since it runs about the same as a 330 nowadays and there are much more engine upgrades available, and you can make a decent amount of power relatively cheaply (300 at the flywheel for around 3k) you definately cant do that with a 330 or 328. BTW reading my post I realized that it sounds like I may have possibly draged my car. Just for the record this is not so I have seen 2 friends do this though and it was not pretty...
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
BMW's are not meant for the drag strip in anyway shape or form.
I think a lot of people in the FI forum would disagree^ Maybe the violence of SMG + slicks has something to do with your experience? BMW's were not born for the drag strip but they'll work.

To the OP: A 330 sounds about right - more power than a 328 to begin with, beefy driveline components and cheaper parts than the M3. For tracking you'd want to address the oil pump nut/harmonic issue and do the TMS subframe reinforcements while you were doing track prep. You'll find a lot of info on this forum.

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 03-10-2010 at 08:52 AM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
An M3 has more horsepower than anyone should have when starting out at the track IMO. It can be done in an M3 but it's unnecessary and unsafe. A 330 is an easy choice due to its cheap parts and easy to control power.

Plus, I also think that heel/toe shifting is an art that everyone should master out on track before moving on to sequential gearboxes.

I don't think that subframe reinforcement is necessary in areas of the US where metal doesn't fatigue as much as long as its a 2004+ 330's. I even talked to TMS and they told me that reinforcing the subframe isn't necessary unless you are running massively increased power on a 2004+ 330. If I had a 1999-2001 330 though then I'd definitely reinforce. Something to think about while shopping since a 2002-2003 will prove to be a little bit easier to deal with.

ZHPs also have a loctited OPN which can help with the nut not falling off. It's not a permanent solution but its good to get you by for the first year or two while you're learning.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 03-10-2010 at 09:46 AM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I don't think that subframe reinforcement is necessary in areas of the US where metal doesn't fatigue as much and on 2004+ 330's. I even talked to TMS and they told me that reinforcing the subframe isn't necessary unless you are running massively increased power on a 2004+ 330.
Good to know^

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Keep the 330i as it's a good basis. You'll definitely need suspension mods and better brakes, maybe a limited slip differential. Be careful about stripping out too much as you don't want to take the car out of balance, unless you want to invest in a fully adjustable suspension setup.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
the correct answer to this question is an e36 M3, its right in the sweet spot for price, performance, and handling in a track car

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay87 View Post
the correct answer to this question is an e36 M3, its right in the sweet spot for price, performance, and handling in a track car
ok ok - let's stay on topic

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
A 330ci w/ a manual transmission is the best start. It can be made into an awesome track car right away with just stainless steel brake lines, some Motul 600 brake fluid, and separate set of racing brake pads and rotors. You'll see night and day difference with that setup.
If you want more power, the M3 coupe is the best option. Again, do the brake upgrade and that'll last you for a long time. Then, you can fiddle with adjustable suspension and the lot. For the M3, the SMG is actually perfect for the track. (The track is the one place where, even if you're a hater, you really can't knock the SMG.)
I disagree that the M3 is too much power for the beginner. I started with the M3 and it was a fantastic car to learn on, because it cleaned up my mistakes. It was responsive and stable, and had the power to teach me how to control the back end. If I had too much power, I would begin to lose the back end in the turns. If anything, it was a better learning platform because it taught me more restraint and control. Now, a supercharged M3 or a Ferrari Enzo would be terrible for beginner track use, but an M3 with 333bhp isn't all that bad, IMO.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Gatorsurgeon

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
As above. I started tracking w. my M3 when it was stock, and I don't think you can do any better. It's got enough power that you won't be wanting to get more horses after you get some good experience. At the same time, it's got enough power that it will make you learn to be smooth with your inputs, which is key to driving any car well. No matter what you get, the first thing to upgrade (the only thing you REALLY need to upgrade, is the brakes. No stock brakes are made for tracking. Lines and fluid are probably enough, depending on how hard you go at it.
JL Audio ZR-650 CSi's, JL Audio 300/2 in front
JLAudio Stealthboxes, JL Audio 250/1 in back
Avin Avant-2 android headunit, Audiocontrol 3XS crossover, Audiocontrol EQS
My other car is a Fisker Karma

Gatorsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
330. Parts and upgrades are MUCH cheaper.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Stripped
LTW 17/18's
Sticky ass tires
Suspension (tuned professionally)
LSD

Can't get too much better than that....
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallie330i View Post
Definitely not into drag racing.
Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard the ///M is not a drag queen. shes so much more. All around the best track e46 you can buy. end thread

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFF112 View Post
Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard the ///M is not a drag queen. shes so much more. All around the best track e46 you can buy. end thread
The OP said he's not into drag racing.. Some people drag race them to see how they perform in a straight line - why's that dumb?

Also - what is going on in your sig? It's hilarious

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 03-10-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
The OP said he's not into drag racing.. Some people drag race them to see how they perform in a straight line - why's that dumb?
I beg to differ...

Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
why the fck are we talking about drag racing?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I beg to differ...
haha saw that^ earlier today - somehow I knew it'd make its way in here

I think that's kind of an isolated case though -
People in FI forum with HPF M3's have been running stock half shafts and going to the strip on drag radials for awhile. Their power levels are nowhere near stock. Their half shafts are fine.

Here's the commentary so far:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...g+strip&page=4

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 03-10-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
haha saw that^ earlier today - somehow I knew it'd make its way in here

I think that's kind of an isolated case though -
People in FI forum with HPF M3's have been running stock half shafts and going to the strip on drag radials for awhile. Their power levels are nowhere near stock. Their half shafts are fine.
It's mostly for entertainment purposes. That guy is pretty funny.