E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #81
logan01

My Ride: 325i 2001
Hope noise is DISA related

Just replaced the elbow boot because of a whistle sound that increased as I accelerated... Thnx ///M=Power. She makes the same flapping/popping noise and wondered if the DISA could also issue cause my girl to staling when attempting to drive?
logan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #82
milestone707

My Ride: 330ci
Hello guys,

Here is my situation. I have the lean codes P0171 and P0174. Checked for vacuum leaks by doing a smoke test at a local indy shop, and found I have absolutely no vacuum leaks. Thought it was the MAF so I bought a new one and still have these two codes. So I looked deeper into it and I noticed my DISA valve was rattling when my engine is at idle speed. I then unplugged the wire harness connected to the DISA and the rattling went away.

A week ago I remember removing the DISA valve to see the condition of the o-ring gasket. Upon inspecting the DISA valve seemed to have tension and was not disconnected from the pin, nor was it free from the valves frame. But I am confused cause it is still rattling noticeably at idle?!

Could my rattling DISA valve be the cause of my P0171 and P0174 codes? Im really trying to get this thing smogged so I can hurry up and enjoy it!

Anyone with experience on this particular issue I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks
milestone707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #83
patdosa

My Ride: 2002 330i SportPackg
This is such a great thread. Fixed my elusive ~2000rpm chatter/gurgling noise when under load which was bugging me for many many years, simply by repairing the flap on my DISA valve as shown by the OP. I wasted so much time and money on the VANOS (and ended up replacing by VANOS altogether but noise still there). Finally, my engine purrs quietly and powerfully at all rpms, very close to the way it did over 217k miles ago. Thanks!!!!
patdosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #84
chilipenquin

My Ride: xiT
My 04 xit rattles in the same area when cold. I only have 59k on it. Could it be the DISA valve with this milage?

What will it hurt if I keep driving? Will an engine code come up before any damage?
chilipenquin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #85
patdosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipenquin View Post
My 04 xit rattles in the same area when cold. I only have 59k on it. Could it be the DISA valve with this milage?

What will it hurt if I keep driving? Will an engine code come up before any damage?
Anything is possible at any mileage. If it is your DISA valve chattering, best way to check is to remove the DISA connector while the engine is running. You can hear a difference immediately if the DISA is damaged and chattering. If DISA is not bad, then there shouldn't be any change in sound when you remove the connector or reconnect it.

I had my DISA valve chattering noise for years now (~4-5 years) and never threw a code. just very annoying/embarassing to hear it but learned to live with it.

Won't damage the engine unless the flap in the DISA valve breaks off (as I have read for some) and/or the pin falls off and gets sucked into the engine.

however, performance-wise, a chattering DISA valve means that the flap is not fully closed in the low (~<4000) rpm range, which can affect your low end torque. but that should be about it. Some people even drive with the DISA connector disconnected so that the flap stays in the default open position.

Like I said, I had the noise for about 4-5 years, and I have over 217k miles on it, but after fixing by DISA valve my engine runs and sounds perfect (at least to my ears); can't say that anything was "damaged" b/c of my bad DISA valve all these years. hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #86
chilipenquin

Thanks Patdosa. Great responses to my questions. I have my indy check it 60k.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #87
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:

At 60K I replaced my DISA while doing my CCV repair. I was shocked at how blown the DISA was. No tension at all. For a while, I had lost low-end torque and had hesistation at the DISA opening RPM of 3750. Above it I had a lot more power. Replacing the DISA helped a lot and I plan to also have a software update as well. There was an SIB out about reprogramming to improve DISA performance.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #88
patdosa

Quote:
Thanks Patdosa. Great responses to my questions. I have my indy check it 60k.
anytime. good luck with it.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #89
chilipenquin

Well this past week by battery indicator charging system failure light came on. Took it to the indy and it was the alternator ($370 parts). He says the rattling noise was the alternaor beginning the fail.

Running and sounding right now.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #90
BM3R 330

My Ride: 2002 330i
I had a shop do a smoke test for me and they said I needed a new DISA... 399$ from BMW...Anyway, I came home. Checked the forums. and see this thread.
I go to take out my DISA and the flap works fine. So Im guessing its leaking air then?
I read above that the gasket is irreplaceable so i was wondering if I could buy sealant to put around the round part where it goes in? Since Im guessing thats where the leaking air would be coming from?

I have a small signature
BM3R 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #91
kid bimma

My Ride: 02 e46 sedan
get the O-RING from ebay. it is very easy to replace.
kid bimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #92
BM3R 330

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid bimma View Post
get the O-RING from ebay. it is very easy to replace.
I love ebay... except when it comes to parts...
This is just as good right?
http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_O-Rings.html
Also, I ended up replacing my Valve Cover Gasget yesterday since I was leaking oil and heard it could be a source of the SES light coming on... and placed silicone around my DISA but it came on again after 20 miles of driving.
On a good note however, I noticed A big improvement in my torque/hp and it def shifts faster than it used to in both auto and steptronic. So something happened.
Anyway, I guess I need an O ring?

I have a small signature
BM3R 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #93
kigol

My Ride: 330CI Vert, GSXR 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3R 330 View Post
I love ebay... except when it comes to parts...
This is just as good right?
http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_O-Rings.html
Also, I ended up replacing my Valve Cover Gasget yesterday since I was leaking oil and heard it could be a source of the SES light coming on... and placed silicone around my DISA but it came on again after 20 miles of driving.
On a good note however, I noticed A big improvement in my torque/hp and it def shifts faster than it used to in both auto and steptronic. So something happened.
Anyway, I guess I need an O ring?
That should be fine yes.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #94
Shevanel

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Hey guys I took apart my car today and cleaned my ICV, Throttle Body and DISA to hopefully help my BMW idle. Anyway, my DISA wasnt too dirty and it still has good tension in it but i noticed that the small orange rubber "gasket" like flap on the inside of the "arms" (?) to seal the butterfly has small breaks in it. I should have taken pictures. One side is all in-tacked the other side has 2 small gaps in the gasket.

Is this a big issue? Worth scrapping my DISA? Anyway to fix it without replacing?

DISA's are expensive so if it is a problem and there is something that can be done Id like to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Shevanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #95
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I found a great solution on Bimmerfest to rebuild your DISA valve. It comes in a kit from German Auto Solutions. I'm sorry I do not know how to link it here. The kit is a machined flapper valve and cam and is well crafted and very easy to install. Check it out.
T
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #96
Shevanel

My Ride: 2004 325xi
This looks like a repair for the butterfly itself. My issue is with the gasket to seal the butterfly when it's closed.
Lots of other cool mods on that site though!
Shevanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #97
wb1978

My Ride: e46 320i 2000 wagon
Have you checked the vacum membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
How to rebuild:

Check this out. Repair the rod(glue). But have you checked the membrane.

wb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #98
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
I would really appreciate some pictures of the "self tapping screw" method. If not a video. Also, a video/or pic tutorial on glueing the yellow piece? I get the fact to use jb weld high temp 2 part glue. Self tapping screw method sounds solid... please help guys!!! Verbal walkthough if a pictorial is not avalible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #99
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
For all of you planning to use JB Weld, screws or the DISA Repair Kit, suggest you read this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&highlight=50

Pay close attention to the DISA section.

There are a number of failure modes for the DISA and the vacuum diaphragm is also a problem that you cannot repair.

Suggest you really consider DISA replacement as the proper repair.

Also if you have lean codes, check that link as well.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #100
Tlvivo

My Ride: 320i Individual
Focal E46 how long did your rebuilt DISA last for?
Tlvivo is offline   Reply With Quote