E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Post **A Raceland Coilover Public Service Announcement: by Kpeng**

Common sense seems to be an issue around here as of late, so allow me to help some of you out.

1. A set of coilovers for $200 is not going to be quality. I'm not going to buy a burger from McDonalds, and expect it to taste great.

2. Just because something has the word "Race" in its name, doesn't mean it's good or cool. I'm going to start selling you people electric superchargers, and call it "RaceCharger". I can't wait to see how many people buy it.

3. If your $200 set of coilovers break, don't complain, you asked for it.

4. Even if you don't care about your own safety, or the well-being of your car, watch out for the safety of others. Suspension failure can lead to some potentially dangerous situations.

5. Suspension, wheels, and tires are three things no one should ever skimp out on. It's what you ride on, and what keeps you on the road. Spend a little more and do it right. Safety is not worth a couple extra bills in your wallet.

6. DON'T BUY RACELAND COILOVERS. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE, THEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD A SUSPENSION.

In all seriousness though, I'm tired of people buying this junk, and then complaining that it is junk. What do you expect? We have a plethora of great sponsors who are offering great deals on great suspensions, take advantage of it! Don't go buying this garbage and putting it on your car like it's the next big thing.

If you cannot afford a proper suspension, even if it is just springs and shocks (I have an H&R Cupkit, and I couldn't be happier), then you can wait. There's nothing wrong with riding on stock suspension until you can afford something better.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Common sense seems to be an issue around here as of late, so allow me to help some of you out.

1. A set of coilovers for $200 is not going to be quality. I'm not going to buy a burger from McDonalds, and expect it to taste great.

2. Just because something has the word "Race" in its name, doesn't mean it's good or cool. I'm going to start selling you people electric superchargers, and call it "RaceCharger". I can't wait to see how many people buy it.

4. Even if you don't care about your own safety, or the well-being of your car, watch out for the safety of others. Suspension failure can lead to some potentially dangerous situations.

5. Suspension, wheels, and tires are three things no one should ever skimp out on. It's what you ride on, and what keeps you on the road. Spend a little more and do it right. Safety is not worth a couple extra bills in your wallet.

6. DON'T BUY RACELAND COILOVERS. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE, THEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD A SUSPENSION.

In all seriousness though, I'm tired of people buying this junk, and then complaining that it is junk. What do you expect? We have a plethora of great sponsors who are offering great deals on great suspensions, take advantage of it! Don't go buying this garbage and putting it on your car like it's the next big thing.

If you cannot afford a proper suspension, even if it is just springs and shocks (I have an H&R Cupkit, and I couldn't be happier), then you can wait. There's nothing wrong with riding on stock suspension until you can afford something better.
I miss my Kw2s
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola"

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:

Raceland = crap

People, invest the money and get a good coilover set. PSS System or KW System are great kits, even at a used priced.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Dominancex

My Ride: FA5T 4DR
Send a message via AIM to Dominancex

Dominancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
this has been discussed many times before, and many people have already said what you just said. Its just the fact that they are so cheap that people buy them......

on another note, im surprised you didn't put your name in the title .

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
I disagree partially. 99% of the problems with Raceland is the INSTALL, not the actual product. I have yet to see a thread about outright failure of the coilovers. The problems arise from n00bs that do a shoddy install, put them on the lowest setting so they'll be "uber low brah" and don't account for rubbing.

Source: See IMOLA_ZHP thread
Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
Amen
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
mrx733

My Ride: E46, W201
Send a message via AIM to mrx733
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
In b4 the raceland aficionados invade KPeng territory.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
TuoRedrum330i

My Ride: has dents
Quote:

i disagree when i go to mcdonalds i expect my double quarter pounder with cheese, mac sauce, and buffalo sauce to taste great.
TuoRedrum330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuoRedrum330i View Post
i disagree when i go to mcdonalds i expect my double quarter pounder with cheese, mac sauce, and buffalo sauce to taste great.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
poynter

My Ride: Jetta
I agree that racelands are pretty much the shittiest coilovers out there.
I own them and have the right to this opinion but is there anyone else in this thread that has actually tried them?
I also have a H&R cupkit that I will be going back to when I get tired of it being so slammed so much that my car scrapes everywhere.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
thats why i settled with H&R cup kit, im happy with my decision. i agree with kpeng, you got what you paid for!
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Assuming a 200 dollar product is comparable with one 10x the price

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer

Let the Raceland wars begin!

Last edited by Focal E46; 03-13-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Focal E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
I don't own racelands and personally never will, but to be honest the only person I've seen complaining about them installed them wrong (which would have had the same result if it was a set of kwv3). You'd think that with such a key component for your car, a person would want parts that were engineered for the car. But people do strange things. I've even seen pictures of some idiot who put fake exhaust tips on his car.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
The FK coilovers are a good investment if you're on a budget and wanting something nice. ECS Tuning has a killer sale on them at this time
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
techlogik

My Ride: 73 pinto
On the other hand, just because it has a well known name, doesn't mean you have a good setup. H&R coilovers for M3 are one of the harshest setups and people hate them. I know I did and switched to TCKline setup.

I would say as a general rule:

If you want a street standard setup, with a descent drop and not tracking the car or autox much, or none at all, stick with KW or PSS9.

If you want something more customized, go GC or TCKline and get 500/550 F/R springs to start. Doing some track days, autox? This is a better way to go. You might like higher rates though even on the street. Often you are better off just getting these instead of KW/PSS9 because you can pick these up used, or for not much more and choose your spring rate, but that assumes you know something about spring rates and what you need to do and camber plates etc...

You need to know how to set these up and have them installed is the ultimate point for your goals and objectives. There is so much to suspension, just saying one brand sucks though and another brand is better doesn't mean much if the rates/dampening/camber/RTABs/FCABs/Control ARM/Sways etc...is all screwed up also and not done right.

Doing tons of tracking? Motons or an equivalent setup would be the right call along with all of the other required suspension components.

It really depends on what you are needing and looking for in a suspension in the end. But the original post by TS is true, those things suck and are a waste of time/money.
techlogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
lol
Old 03-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
On the other hand, just because it has a well known name, doesn't mean you have a good setup. H&R coilovers for M3 are one of the harshest setups and people hate them. I know I did and switched to TCKline setup.

I would say as a general rule:

If you want a street standard setup, with a descent drop and not tracking the car or autox much, or none at all, stick with KW or PSS9.

If you want something more customized, go GC or TCKline and get 500/550 F/R springs to start. Doing some track days, autox? This is a better way to go. You might like higher rates though even on the street. Often you are better off just getting these instead of KW/PSS9 because you can pick these up used, or for not much more and choose your spring rate, but that assumes you know something about spring rates and what you need to do and camber plates etc...

You need to know how to set these up and have them installed is the ultimate point for your goals and objectives. There is so much to suspension, just saying one brand sucks though and another brand is better doesn't mean much if the rates/dampening/camber/RTABs/FCABs/Control ARM/Sways etc...is all screwed up also and not done right.

Doing tons of tracking? Motons or an equivalent setup would be the right call along with all of the other required suspension components.

It really depends on what you are needing and looking for in a suspension in the end. But the original post by TS is true, those things suck and are a waste of time/money.
You guys make it sound like KW and Bilsteins are the be all end all to suspension set ups. not everyone can afford it or wants to spend that money on a 10 year old car. If you just want something for the street and occasional track use FK Silver line or konig line is what i would go with.

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanna be mod