E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
krjcook

My Ride: '04 325i
Thumbs down just got back from getting an alignment. Nothing but bad news.

As said in the title, I'm just getting home. And I feel sick to my stomach. Replaced my own tie rods and went in to get it aligned and this is what came back.

the left one was seized (known this for a few months) but i Replaced them both since I found a deal on new lemforders. The guy at the shop didn't do a good job explaining what and or why. Maybe you guys can help. What us exactly wrong with this pic, which measurement is acceptable? Where should I start to fix this?
krjcook is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
You lost me. This is only the before. Did you get the car aligned yet, and where are those readings?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
AJP330i

My Ride: 05 ZHP
Pay the shop to perform the alignment. Less the $100 and its good to go.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Stinger9

T Town is Tuscaloosa, Alabama?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
confused. it looks like you didn't do anything at all. and if that is after you got an alignment from the shop, go ask for your money back and go somewhere else.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I hope you did not pay to have it hooked up and measured, then, not pay to have it done. Half the work is the setup.

btw, looks like you need an alignment . . .
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
krjcook

Sorry for the confusion guys, I went to getone but the mechanic refused to touch it after these readings came out.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
Wtf im confuse lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
krjcook

They didn't do an alignment, didn't pay anything. Put it on the machine and these were the results.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
99_323i_Steve

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
An alignment tech wouldn't touch ur alignment job because your camber and angles are way off? thats like saying an engine mechanic won't touch ur engine because its running poorly. Ridiculous.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
99_323i_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Stinger9

maybe guy not familiar with BMW alignment
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
99_323i_Steve

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
that maybe true but most independent shops either look at a BMW n work on it or go to say no we don't work on BMWs and we wouldn't even look at it in the first place. search around for different shop I say.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
99_323i_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
If it is green, it is good.
Your front toe is way off, but that is becuase you just replaced tie rod ends. Did you tell the guy you just replaced them?
You can do a rough job of setting front toe in in your driveway. Adjust tie rod ends so the front of the tires are a little
closer together than the rear of the front ties (about 1/16-1/8 inch should get you close).

The big red flag I see is your left rear camber. It is grayed out. It appears it could not be measured.
This could be because something is broken/worn - or it could be something else.

You need to go back and get them to explain the problem to you. There must be a good reason they would not do the alignment. Usually it is becuase they cannot move a bolt, or, that something is too bent/worn to do a decent alignment. I'm surprised they did not give you a quote for required repairs.

Did you pay to have it checked? Was it the same place that told you they could not do it before due to frozen bolt?

You might want to consider taking it someplace else. Dare I suggest the dealer? Sure they charge more for an alignment but they usually know what they are doing and do a good job. I wouldn't drive your car much as is unless you like buying new tires.

Edit: looks like others typed while I was getting another beer. ignore the questions you have already answered . . .

Last edited by dknightd; 10-27-2012 at 03:20 PM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
krjcook

Went to Tire kingdom in Jax, FL. He said company policy wouldn't let him adjust it, don't throw fire at me guys I'm just the messenger lol. Said I was in need of some suspension parts, like i bent something when replacing the tie rod assembly. Kept asking if i locked the wheel etc. i followed the diy slowly in surely. sounds like he was trying to rip me of and get me out the door since I have a 1 year alignment plan that will be up in 4 months. I just want my car up to code. My steering wheel is cocked slightly to the left, so there is obviously an alignment problem. Where should I start to get to the bottom of
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Look elsewhere OP
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
krjcook

No its was a different location from the one that told me I had a seized tie rod. I can confirm it was seized, had to cut out in half to take off the rubber boot.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Very confusing. Tech wouldn't touch it because it was so far off? I'm sure you explained that you replaced your tie rods...

Some of the numbers seem far enough off that maybe it frightened the tech and he and/or the shop didn't want to be responsible for fixing the alignment after doing it. Some of the numbers are so far off that they maybe also thought there is other damage that needs to be fixed for them to bring it into alignment.

But I'm guessing...they should have explained that.

As far as I know, caster isn't really adjustable.

Anyway, maybe someone that isn't just guessing can advise you better, but I'd call and get explanation from shop...and based on that, probably bring it to another shop.

Don't be sick. It's only an alignment...can't be that bad news...or your life is otherwise blessed! LOL

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
krjcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Look elsewhere OP
I will be doing that, don't got the time right now.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Cross posted...

I wonder if the 1 year alignment plan doesn't include people doing work and then bring it in. Usually that would mean that if the alignment got knocked out within a year, they'd redo it. Not if you 'knocked it out.'

Steering wheel will get straightened when they adjust toe properly. They get the toe right and the wheel straight by adjusting tie rods...don't let them con you on that. If done right...car will go straight and steering wheel will be level.

I think it's because they maybe want you to pay again or something. If they think suspension members are bent, they should be able to tell you what they suspect.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
krjcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Look elsewhere OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Cross posted...

I wonder if the 1 year alignment plan doesn't include people doing work and then bring it in. Usually that would mean that if the alignment got knocked out within a year, they'd redo it. Not if you 'knocked it out.'

Steering wheel will get straightened when they adjust toe properly. They get the toe right and the wheel straight by adjusting tie rods...don't let them con you on that. If done right...car will go straight and steering wheel will be level.

I think it's because they maybe want you to pay again or something. If they think suspension members are bent, they should be able to tell you what they suspect.
Seems like some of those locations are shady. Called a few asking my plan was void since I installed myself in the middle of my plan. Half said yes, doesn't matter if they, another shop, or I myself work on it. The other half said no, it voids.