E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #181
darrenarnold

My Ride: e46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
I disagree partially. 99% of the problems with Raceland is the INSTALL, not the actual product. I have yet to see a thread about outright failure of the coilovers. The problems arise from n00bs that do a shoddy install, put them on the lowest setting so they'll be "uber low brah" and don't account for rubbing.

Source: See IMOLA_ZHP thread
well said m8. glad someones got some sense!
i havnt got raceland coilovers but there certainly aint anything wrong with them.
darrenarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #182
darrenarnold

My Ride: e46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuoRedrum330i View Post
i disagree when i go to mcdonalds i expect my double quarter pounder with cheese, mac sauce, and buffalo sauce to taste great.
hahaha..... yeh man, nufin wrong with mac d's haha
darrenarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #183
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
I'm loving where this is going.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #184
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
God. I've had enough of this. The next person who PM's me about posting the dyno results is getting a raceland strut shoved up their ass.

For the last time:

The materials and construction look perfectly safe. The welds aren't the prettiest, but they seem structurally sound.

Right to left the shocks and springs matched one another within an acceptable spec, consistent with other brands in the market.

The shocks are very, very soft. Softer than what was on file for e46 m3 shocks.

The springs are way too stiff for the shocks.

The combination of those two things = car will just bounce up and down on the springs. Which is no fun for ride quality, and certainly terrible for performance.

If you could get springs that were close to oem rates, the Racelands are probably a perfectly safe alternative for people with blown OEM suspension who don't want to spend much to replace it, and still have a nice drop.

They are simply not a performance upgrade.

I will post the graphs later.

Unlike the Chase's in this thread, I have seen the kit, held the shocks in my hand, seen the dyno. They are generic shock bodies, just like what all cheap suspension companies use. Using those makes production costs cheap, and involves virtually no R&D. The only difference between these and the other garbage cheap kits (DDM, FK, ST, whatever else) is that they are super soft.

For those of you that have Raceland and are saying the ride is close to stock - your stock suspension must have been blown, or you don't know what you're talking about.

For anyone who thinks this off the shelf kit is going to improve the handling or performance of your car, its not.

And finally, no I would never put these on any of my cars. I wouldn't put any of the cheap coilovers on my car though. I tell people all the time that the cheapest coilover I feel safe in recommending is the Tein Basic. But hey, Seth and I have about $6000 worth of suspension parts on our e46's so thats just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Regardless, spent a good hour on the phone last night discussing these with the "source" conducting the tests on racelands and, I must say, when you guys see the results, "you're gonna sh*t bricks". They really are (A) of terrible quality (B) wayyyyy off the spring rates claimed on the cite (C) rather dangerous given A & B both for you and other motorists on the road. Consensus is, as long as they hold together, you could be fine using them as a poorly handling daily driver but, if you want to do anything remotely aggressive (even a hard bank on a highway) the result, when using these, could be catastrophic.

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #185
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Chase...
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #186
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
I received a defective clutch line that led to numerous hours of trouble shooting and unnessecary bleeding of the clutch line before I realized the line was bad.

I had an oil drain plug break off.

I received my TSE3 beat to **** from poor packaging

I had to get new nuts for my tranny mounts because one came crossthreaded

I'm not even go into the countless clutch failure threads I've read on here and sway bar sets popping out of the brackets and squeking issues.

Search "UUC'c poor crap" and that should go into more detail about their horrible customer service.
Oil plugs are DESIGNED to break when overtorqued.

My TSE3, as others on this forum was fine on delivery. The packaging did not beat the **** out of it, the shipper did, there is insurance for this. I received TWO SETS of composite rocker panels for my Viper from Autoform Development that were broken in transit by BAX Global. I didn't blame Autoform Development, BAX covered both sets 100%.

Never heard about UUC sways popping out (incorrect endlinks?). As for squeaks, when using stiffer bushings (polyurathane), teflon grease is needed and it washes/works out of the friction area, requiring re-application.

Oh, searched "UUCs poor crap", nothing came up. As for their customer service, they dropped the ball on some customers during their move (moving an entire business operation NEVER goes as planned), and over the holidays.

Last edited by 330I6SPD; 03-17-2010 at 05:26 PM.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #187
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Chase - having spring rates that are not as advertised has nothing to do with the safety of a suspension kit or its likelihood of falling apart on banked turns. Under a heavy side load, are the more likely to suffer a failure than say, a bilstein? Probably, but other components are going to break first, and you're going to crash regardless.

And UUC is definitely crap. Every product I have dealt with from them has been defective in some way, and their customer service in dealing with the issues was ATROCIOUS. This has been for several years, not just during their move.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #188
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
I had to get new nuts for my tranny
hehe...

Quote:
I received a defective clutch line that led to numerous hours of trouble shooting and unnessecary bleeding of the clutch line before I realized the line was bad.

I had an oil drain plug break off.

I received my TSE3 beat to **** from poor packaging.
Dang...understood. But can't REALLY blame them for the TSE3.

I do remember having an issue with a rotor on their BBK. I am very happy with it but one of their 1-pc slotted rotors warped (I think). Just went with the OEM M3 euro drilled rotors.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #189
bigjae1976

Quote:
If you could get springs that were close to oem rates, the Racelands are probably a perfectly safe alternative for people with blown OEM suspension who don't want to spend much to replace it, and still have a nice drop.
See, that kind of defeats the purpose of the $250 coilover. It will no longer be $250 if you end up replacing the springs.

Why not just spend a little more for something you know you don't have to fock with? Again, just my $.02.

Quote:
I've had enough of this. The next person who PM's me about posting the dyno results is getting a raceland strut shoved up their ass.
PM sent.

kidding...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #190
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
I dont have any issues with UUC.
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #191
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Quote:
God. I've had enough of this. The next person who PM's me about posting the dyno results is getting a raceland strut shoved up their ass.

For the last time:

The materials and construction look perfectly safe. The welds aren't the prettiest, but they seem structurally sound.

Right to left the shocks and springs matched one another within an acceptable spec, consistent with other brands in the market.

The shocks are very, very soft. Softer than what was on file for e46 m3 shocks.

The springs are way too stiff for the shocks.

The combination of those two things = car will just bounce up and down on the springs. Which is no fun for ride quality, and certainly terrible for performance.

They are simply not a performance upgrade.

I will post the graphs later.

Unlike the Chase's in this thread, I have seen the kit, held the shocks in my hand, seen the dyno. They are generic shock bodies, just like what all cheap suspension companies use. Using those makes production costs cheap, and involves virtually no R&D. The only difference between these and the other garbage cheap kits (DDM, FK, ST, whatever else) is that they are super soft.

For those of you that have Raceland and are saying the ride is close to stock - your stock suspension must have been blown, or you don't know what you're talking about.

For anyone who thinks this off the shelf kit is going to improve the handling or performance of your car, its not.

And finally, no I would never put these on any of my cars. I wouldn't put any of the cheap coilovers on my car though. I tell people all the time that the cheapest coilover I feel safe in recommending is the Tein Basic. But hey, Seth and I have about $6000 worth of suspension parts on our e46's so thats just me.
you

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #192
bm3mhark

My Ride: 03-330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenarnold View Post
hahaha..... yeh man, nufin wrong with mac d's haha

i should rather to go to JACK in the BOX ,than to mc donald... $1 burger ...hahahhahahaha
bm3mhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #193
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Wendy's FTMFW
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #194
bigjae1976

Yay! I love heavily processed, greasy fast food!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #195
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
So, how much are these "RaceChargers"? And where can I get one?
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #196
bigjae1976

250...ebay
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #197
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
Oil plugs are DESIGNED to break when overtorqued.
This I understand, but I was no where near overtorquing it. I've done every oil change over the last 16 years on my cars, parents, and numerous friends and have never overtorqued one.

Quote:
My TSE3, as others on this forum was fine on delivery. The packaging did not beat the **** out of it, the shipper did, there is insurance for this.
I would totally 1000000% agree with you... if UUC decided to put padding material in between the exhaust. When I recieved the package, you could litterally hear the pipes clanking and banging against each other. They use expanding foam for their padding which is a great idea, however half the box wasn't padded. I can ship you a Tiffany vase right now and just drop it in a box and I'm positive you would be mad at me because I should know that shippers are careless. Preventative measures were not taken which is why I blamed UUC. I will admit, I have not had a problem with my SS brake lines yet, thank god

Quote:
Oh, searched "UUCs poor crap", nothing came up. As for their customer service, they dropped the ball on some customers during their move (moving an entire business operation NEVER goes as planned), and over the holidays.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...091&highlight=

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #198
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I do remember having an issue with a rotor on their BBK. I am very happy with it but one of their 1-pc slotted rotors warped (I think). Just went with the OEM M3 euro drilled rotors.
Their wilwood & alcon BBK are
Old 03-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #199
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
See, that kind of defeats the purpose of the $250 coilover. It will no longer be $250 if you end up replacing the springs.

Why not just spend a little more for something you know you don't have to fock with? Again, just my $.02.
Because not everyone tracks and those spring rates can be tolerated by most for JUST DD'ing. Especially if your OEM sh*t already has 100k+ miles on it...

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #200
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardPark'd TT View Post
Because not everyone tracks and those spring rates can be tolerated by most for JUST DD'ing. Especially if your OEM sh*t already has 100k+ miles on it...
If you can deal with it, then go for it. I'm not necessarily against the actual product. But the price is potentially misleading. I've already stated the first reason. Second reason are install and alignment costs. Which are not as bad if you are a DIYer.

I've learned this the hardway in the past with replica body parts. Cheap doesn't always factor in installation. Especially if you have a couple of re-do's.

So makes sense if you pull them out of the box, install them and deal with it. As soon as you start focking with things, probably should have just went with an entry level kit (KW, PSS, Tein basic, etc).

IMO, if you can only spend $250 on coilovers...probably need to re-look your financial priorities.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 03-18-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Tags
wanna be mod