E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #101
BSR423

My Ride: has fool coverage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Raceland is a fairly new company (unlike H&R for example) and right now they are also selling sway bars and headers as well as exhaust piping for newer BMWs so I'm sure they are only going to become bigger from this point.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugellos View Post
I just laugh at the bad things people have to say about them, and wonder if they know enough about them to judge them.
And this. It is funny when people critique things that they've never seen first hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
F that, I'll buy a gun instead.
BSR423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #102
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Same thing with RLs.
I just laugh at the bad things people have to say about them, and wonder if they know enough about them to judge them.
RLs suck.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #103
00bmw323

My Ride: 00 323/91 integra RS

-Jorge
All low no go
00bmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #104
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
RLs suck.
sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #105
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
I just wonder if Raceland knows how controversial their product is over here haha.

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #106
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
It's not really controversial. Just over-hyped/a bunch of little girls bickering about a cheap suspension product.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #107
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post

Until you have something to contradict this, they're great for what they are.
I think there is an echo......

As for kpengs reputable suspension company......... yea we will be waiting for the proof.

Kpeng I dont know why you feel as if I threaten or attack you I'm just calling your B*ll Sh*t as I read it and I feel you get a bit sour when steps on your toes to call your bluff.

Almost every person who has commented that Racelands are poor have heard or read about it.

Just make its simple......all the people who don't have heard there sh*t put your money together and buy one set, then pass the kit around, run the kit through this "reputable suspension company"........hell try to break them.

Then..............you will have a TRUE review or comment on the install, ride quality, durability or whatever you feel needs to be said.

I will wait for a real review not some ego driven "public announcement"
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #108
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
^ uh oh, look at his sig.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #109
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I like your sig!
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #110
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
I think there is an echo......

As for kpengs reputable suspension company......... yea we will be waiting for the proof.

Kpeng I dont know why you feel as if I threaten or attack you I'm just calling your B*ll Sh*t as I read it and I feel you get a bit sour when steps on your toes to call your bluff.

Almost every person who has commented that Racelands are poor have heard or read about it.

Just make its simple......all the people who don't have heard there sh*t put your money together and buy one set, then pass the kit around, run the kit through this "reputable suspension company"........hell try to break them.

Then..............you will have a TRUE review or comment on the install, ride quality, durability or whatever you feel needs to be said.

I will wait for a real review not some ego driven "public announcement"
Did you not see or are you just ignoring Seth (bimmer07)s post? Seth works at a performance shop, has been heavily involved in the BMW and racing scene for years, and knows more than I could ever hope to learn about performance parts. They did a test of the Raceland Coils from a performance perspective and we've already seen the pic of the shock which snapped at the support from daily driving . Put those two together, and you get a product of shoddy quality (at best) which also has crummy performance specs.

I'm not here to bash on raceland products simply because they are cheap. I had a replica hamann shift knob back in the day which I later replaced with the authentic version as I thought the fake was crummy (uncomfortable, ugly, etc)... I also bought a set of replica hamann pedals which, to this day, I still have in place. Reason being, they, in my opinion, look better than the real ones and do their job just as well as the real deal would. So, cheaper products aren't always bad. But, these coilovers perform a vital job both for you safe and others on the road. It's far more dangerous to skimp on the costs when it is such a crucial part of your vehicle. Would you buy knock off tires that looked like Goodyears or Pirellis but were "questionable at best" from a quality perspective? How about a replica BBK that cost 200 bucks? Big brakes are sexy and all... who cares if they don' work so well right?

If it was just your own safety, that would be one thing. But you are literally putting other motorists in danger running such an unproven product which has such a questionable reputation... and all for a "slammed look" which could also be derived from lowering springs for just a little more money.

Again, not bashing... i just hate how the fanboys are so rude to anybody, regardless of qualifications or knowledge if they say anything negative...
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #111
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Did you not see or are you just ignoring Seth (bimmer07)s post? Seth works at a performance shop, has been heavily involved in the BMW and racing scene for years, and knows more than I could ever hope to learn about performance parts. They did a test of the Raceland Coils from a performance perspective and we've already seen the pic of the shock which snapped at the support from daily driving . Put those two together, and you get a product of shoddy quality (at best) which also has crummy performance specs.

I'm not here to bash on raceland products simply because they are cheap. I had a replica hamann shift knob back in the day which I later replaced with the authentic version as I thought the fake was crummy (uncomfortable, ugly, etc)... I also bought a set of replica hamann pedals which, to this day, I still have in place. Reason being, they, in my opinion, look better than the real ones and do their job just as well as the real deal would. So, cheaper products aren't always bad. But, these coilovers perform a vital job both for you safe and others on the road. It's far more dangerous to skimp on the costs when it is such a crucial part of your vehicle. Would you buy knock off tires that looked like Goodyears or Pirellis but were "questionable at best" from a quality perspective? How about a replica BBK that cost 200 bucks? Big brakes are sexy and all... who cares if they don' work so well right?

If it was just your own safety, that would be one thing. But you are literally putting other motorists in danger running such an unproven product which has such a questionable reputation... and all for a "slammed look" which could also be derived from lowering springs for just a little more money.

Again, not bashing... i just hate how the fanboys are so rude to anybody, regardless of qualifications or knowledge if they say anything negative...
I thought you wrote BBS at first...I was going to say Linea Corse.../thread

Then I re-read
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #112
zugellos

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Did you not see or are you just ignoring Seth (bimmer07)s post? Seth works at a performance shop...They did a test of the Raceland Coils from a performance perspective and we've already seen the pic of the shock which snapped at the support from daily driving . Put those two together, and you get a product of shoddy quality (at best) which also has crummy performance specs......
I may have missed this thread.
Would you give a link to what you're talking about?

I didn't know there was a RLs that snapped.
zugellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #113
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:

Seth works for RRT. That's the company that I was referring to. I guess since Chase basically let it out of the bag, I'll just say it. They will be posting something soon.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #114
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
Kpeng

your rants are getting old
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #115
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Haha, hope you're not bringing your E46, the pot holes here are ridiculous.
nope not taking any cars there anymore. ive driven there 5 times now. time before last i rolled a ford explorer there. fvcking gravel roads.
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #116
bm3mhark

My Ride: 03-330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Yes yes, keep calling me an idiot and a retard The proof is coming.
proof is coming ??? 5 or 10 years ago ???KPEng !!! I am not againts you or in RL ...Just Show us your proof ,before you post any negative feed.

I just have a STOCK SPRINGS no H&R or RL ...you GUYS are freaking me out ...PEACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
bm3mhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #117
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
readings from a shock dyno also show that said shocks are softer than a set of stock e46 m3 shocks

from what i've seen the quality of the welds on the lower rear shock mounts is shoddy at best, can you imagine what may happen if/when these welds give out while driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1 View Post
Did anyone ever put racelands on a shock dyno?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
yes it was done a few months ago hence where i got the information that the dampening is softer than stock e46 m3 shocks

and the actual spring rates varied from advertised
Quote:
, so wheres the results? because being " a little softer than M3 shocks" doesn't sound as death defying as you guys make it out to be...

wheres the broken shock from DD? bimmer07 sure didn't mention it in his very brief analysis of the shock dyno, seems like it was pretty uneventful..

where the thread with al the "bad news", this was done months ago right?

Quote:

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #118
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
.....They did a test of the Raceland Coils from a performance perspective....
Not directed towards you, but you were the last person I saw that said it.

Since when has everyone on this board been solely performance oriented? Haven't half of you guys realized that this board is constantly flooded with threads on spacers, poke, lips, streched tires and bumper fitment questions.

Unless someone can prove that these coilovers are faulty and dangerous then they are just talking useless ****. A LOT of people on this board just want to look good and aren't worried about going max velocity around a neighborhood corner in their daily driver.

Yes, having expensive suspension is nice. But, for me, occassionaly I get tired of a stiff ride and the constant neck pains and fear of hitting a bump on the highway. Maybe this is their alternative.

Basically what it boils down to is the whole "all show, no go" modification that I think that every last person in this thread has at least one of.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #119
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

I wonder what happens when Racelands fail and you cause an accident and the insurance company finds out. Since the raceland company stated that they are for offroad use only, I would imagine the insurance company not to cover any damages. That would definitely be the case in Germany and I would wonder if this would differ in the States.

I can understand buying a set of these coilovers for show cars that get rolled on and off of stage. I mean why pay for a PSS10 kit if you just want some slammage. But on public roads?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #120
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I wonder what happens when Racelands fail and you cause an accident and the insurance company finds out. Since the raceland company stated that they are for offroad use only, I would imagine the insurance company not to cover any damages. That would definitely be the case in Germany and I would wonder if this would differ in the States.

I can understand buying a set of these coilovers for show cars that get rolled on and off of stage. I mean why pay for a PSS10 kit if you just want some slammage. But on public roads?
you have to understand, NUMEROUS aftermarket products, not just these coilovers say that on the box. Tons of the lighting products everyone buys says the same thing. So many people on this forum act like RL coilovers are the only product to say offroad use only.

Tags
wanna be mod