E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
Bucee323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Stewart (hinesville), GA
Posts: 97
My Ride: 1999 323i
i will do this weekend! i cannot stand the faux woodgrain, first gotta find the right fabric
Bucee323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucee323i View Post
i will do this weekend! i cannot stand the faux woodgrain, first gotta find the right fabric


just hit up joannes they have everything you need. also check out some cloth botiques if you want something crazy.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
Lonely Tylenol.
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 201*
Posts: 645
My Ride: is faster thAn yours
Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tylenol.
i am sooo sorry to be a kill joy but when it gets hot out the glue is gunna go to sh1t ... happened to me
Lonely Tylenol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #24
rares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Downtown
Posts: 860
My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
good work on that bro' thanks for the write up
__________________
rares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #25
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol. View Post
i am sooo sorry to be a kill joy but when it gets hot out the glue is gunna go to sh1t ... happened to me
lets just hope it doesnt happen to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rares View Post
good work on that bro' thanks for the write up

always happy to help.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
cpquit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1
My Ride: 05, 325XI
Good Work mvrk,

Although I am not really looking to change trim right now. It gives us clear instructions how to do it. Why dont you use http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/ instead of fabric. It makes it look like you have carbonfiber Trim. Just an Idea....

BTW, I am not related to that website or anything.
cpquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpquit View Post
Good Work mvrk,

Although I am not really looking to change trim right now. It gives us clear instructions how to do it. Why dont you use http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/ instead of fabric. It makes it look like you have carbonfiber Trim. Just an Idea....

BTW, I am not related to that website or anything.
this stuff is the same vinyl everyone else is selling, CF cloth is actually vinyl. I used actual cloth.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #28
sito22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: dallas
Posts: 58
My Ride: 04 325i
Got bored today, went to the fabric store and this was the only one I liked, what do you guys think? Only did one piece, not sure if I want to continue on or look for another fabric, input would be appreciated! Thanks




__________________
sito22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #29
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito22 View Post
Got bored today, went to the fabric store and this was the only one I liked, what do you guys think? Only did one piece, not sure if I want to continue on or look for another fabric, input would be appreciated! Thanks




ummm. the rule is if YOU like it thats l that matters. I dont find that to look very good.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
sito22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: dallas
Posts: 58
My Ride: 04 325i
cool thanks for the input, yea didn't think so, gonna go back to the fabric store and try to find something else
__________________
sito22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #31
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito22 View Post
cool thanks for the input, yea didn't think so, gonna go back to the fabric store and try to find something else
if you want something truly off the wall. i would suggest putting fabric into google map search around your house, or office, and sometimes you can find really cool little exotic fabric shops, and they are always worth a look.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #32
Syco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 6
My Ride: 2000 323ci
DUDE! this is BALLLLIINNNNN!!!! I need to fix up my trim(reallyreallyreally bad) and almost caved for the CF trim...it looks ok, but as you said everyone has it. my car is dark green with a tan interior, i might go with a dark green cloth and make it *****in. but damn this is just pure awesome.
Syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #33
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syco View Post
DUDE! this is BALLLLIINNNNN!!!! I need to fix up my trim(reallyreallyreally bad) and almost caved for the CF trim...it looks ok, but as you said everyone has it. my car is dark green with a tan interior, i might go with a dark green cloth and make it *****in. but damn this is just pure awesome.
Thanks. that would be dope to get fabric to match the exterior color. however if you want to match the exterior i might suggest paint. prep and instruction on how to paint plastic parts can be found in my sig under the link to black grills.


happy modding.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #34
Syco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 6
My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
Thanks. that would be dope to get fabric to match the exterior color. however if you want to match the exterior i might suggest paint. prep and instruction on how to paint plastic parts can be found in my sig under the link to black grills.


happy modding.
thanks, I might actually do that instead but not sure how hard it'll be to find matching paint. anyways I spent all night reading your DIY's....dude, you are amazing I'm planning on doing the radar detector mod, USB charger mod, grille mod, and a few others around the forums. I just joined and this place is amazingggg. I love getting the satisfaction that no one else has what I have.
Syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #35
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syco View Post
thanks, I might actually do that instead but not sure how hard it'll be to find matching paint. anyways I spent all night reading your DIY's....dude, you are amazing I'm planning on doing the radar detector mod, USB charger mod, grille mod, and a few others around the forums. I just joined and this place is amazingggg. I love getting the satisfaction that no one else has what I have.

there is a site called paintswatch.com or something like that sells oem paint cheap in spray cans. look at autozone there are a lot of colors, i got a silver to match directly. this place is good. and you will find a lot of cool and often inexpensive mods that simply take a little time and enginueity. glad i could be of help. good luck, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #36
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Port Credit, ON
Posts: 288
My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol. View Post
i am sooo sorry to be a kill joy but when it gets hot out the glue is gunna go to sh1t ... happened to me
How much glue did you use?? I have the trim in my convertible wrapped, leave the top down in the sun all the time, and haven't had an issue at all.
Adamo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #37
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
How much glue did you use?? I have the trim in my convertible wrapped, leave the top down in the sun all the time, and haven't had an issue at all.
I never had a problem either.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #38
JM323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 212
My Ride: 5 speed 2003 325i
Looks great!

Doing two tone black/tan with my current interior and I can't imagine that there is a fabric that would look right. Love the fabric on the black interior though. Great job!
__________________
JM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #39
m3collins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 415
My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
I'd suggest to NOT use Super 77. Go for 3m Super 99....it's much better. The Super 7 in extreme has a tendency to soften up and go gooey.
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #40
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM323 View Post
Looks great!

Doing two tone black/tan with my current interior and I can't imagine that there is a fabric that would look right. Love the fabric on the black interior though. Great job!
you could totally use tan leather to wrap in. it has been done, requires a bit more proding cause the thicker material but it is doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
I'd suggest to NOT use Super 77. Go for 3m Super 99....it's much better. The Super 7 in extreme has a tendency to soften up and go gooey.
interesting. thanks.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cloth trim, cool, diy, e46, trim wrap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use