E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
ZHP Suspension on a Touring????

Has anyone successfully installed the ZHP suspension on a e46 touring with good results?

I currently have a touring with the sport package and it does sit low but I was told that the rear spring on the touring is taller than the coupe and sedans to handle cargo weight.


Any insight would be much appreciated. I drove a ZHP and loved the suspension.
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
No one has any idea???
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Dunbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 814
My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
Just buy the shocks if you want to do it. ZHP springs are the same as the sport package springs so no benefit to swapping those. Koni FSD would probably be a better value if you're buying new.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
I am buying them used for a reasonable price. I would like to hear from someone else who had done this on a touring. If the rear springs are taller than the sedan/coupe rear springs then that may not work at all with the ZHP shocks. Don't want to waste time and money.
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
Anyone done this? Maybe Bueller? Anyone?

Last edited by BMW4LIFE27; 03-17-2010 at 08:32 PM.
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
bump
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Arsevader
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,829
My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE27 View Post
I am buying them used for a reasonable price. I would like to hear from someone else who had done this on a touring. If the rear springs are taller than the sedan/coupe rear springs then that may not work at all with the ZHP shocks. Don't want to waste time and money.
Even if the springs were taller (which I don't think they are, they are a slightly high spring rate to account for the weight) it wouldn't matter as the ride height would end up being the same.
__________________

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R


Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
UncleDon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 904
My Ride: '05 325iT '86 911
I did a lot of research on exactly this same subject a few years ago. BMW uses different spring rates for Sedans, Coupes, Wagons, and Convertibles. A 325iT is lighter in the front than a 330i, and BMW even uses different spring rates for the differences in manual and automatic transmission weights.

The total weight and the distribution of that weight is quite different between your 325iT Wagon and a 330i ZHP Sedan. The most likely result of installing the 330 springs is that they will raise your car a little bit in the front and lower it significantly in the rear.
__________________
UncleDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 261
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
I am doing a minor suspension refresh and was wondering what bushings would make my Touring more ZHP like? Going with FSD shocks, and Turner sways. Also on my wish list are the ZHP steering rack. Anyone know where one can be procured?
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Dunbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 814
My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
The suspension bushings and steering rack are not different on the ZHP.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 261
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
I thought the ZHP had quicker steering? I find the stock Touring steering a little slow and wish it was the same ratio as my E36 M3.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDon View Post
I did a lot of research on exactly this same subject a few years ago. BMW uses different spring rates for Sedans, Coupes, Wagons, and Convertibles. A 325iT is lighter in the front than a 330i, and BMW even uses different spring rates for the differences in manual and automatic transmission weights.

The total weight and the distribution of that weight is quite different between your 325iT Wagon and a 330i ZHP Sedan. The most likely result of installing the 330 springs is that they will raise your car a little bit in the front and lower it significantly in the rear.
My touring came with the sport package. What if I leave the springs that I have on the car in place and install just the ZHP shock absorbers???
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Dunbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 814
My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
I thought the ZHP had quicker steering?
No different than the same year 330 without the ZHP package. I read on here somewhere that the steering rack P/N is the same.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
UncleDon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 904
My Ride: '05 325iT '86 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE27 View Post
My touring came with the sport package. What if I leave the springs that I have on the car in place and install just the ZHP shock absorbers???
I tried Eibach Prokit springs on my Touring with my Sport Package shocks. The front looked good, but the rear was too low and the shocks seemed mismatched for the springs resulting in a slightly bouncy, nervous ride. The handling was better, but the slightly harsher, less refined ride was not worth it to me. I put the stock SP springs back on. It's very hard to beat BMW and all their factory resources when they engineer all the supension parts to match and work so well together.

Switching from 17" to 18" wheels and PS2 tires made a nice difference on my Touring. I think the 18" wheels and ZHP swaybars would make more of a difference than just changing to ZHP shocks, but I don't have any personal experience with my BMW to back that up.
__________________
UncleDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDon View Post
I tried Eibach Prokit springs on my Touring with my Sport Package shocks. The front looked good, but the rear was too low and the shocks seemed mismatched for the springs resulting in a slightly bouncy, nervous ride. The handling was better, but the slightly harsher, less refined ride was not worth it to me. I put the stock SP springs back on. It's very hard to beat BMW and all their factory resources when they engineer all the supension parts to match and work so well together.

Switching from 17" to 18" wheels and PS2 tires made a nice difference on my Touring. I think the 18" wheels and ZHP swaybars would make more of a difference than just changing to ZHP shocks, but I don't have any personal experience with my BMW to back that up.
I am 91K miles and need a refresh and don't want to go aftermarket. Not sure what to do now. Wish I had feedback from someone who has actually done this.
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 261
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
I also have a feeling BMW did a good job on the sport package springs for the wagon. I have owned many cars that ran Eibach or H&R springs, but non compare to the job my factory M3 springs do when I have my car loaded with 4 full sized adults. A wagon needs load engineering even more. This is where lowering springs really lose it IMHO. My rear Sport Package springs are new at 60K as they cracked last November and BMW replaced them.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 261
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
No different than the same year 330 without the ZHP package. I read on here somewhere that the steering rack P/N is the same.
Anyone know the difference in ratio between a 325 and 330? If there is a difference , is this a straight bolt in, without worrying about the stability control not liking the new part?
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #18
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
bump for some more info on touring with ZHP. I can't be the only one who is partaking in this adventure???
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
wuzilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 42
My Ride: 2001 325it
Here's photos of my wagon with ZHP coupe springs and Koni Yellows:





From a few weeks ago (snow still on the ground). Car is manual tranny since the total vehicle weight might make a difference.

I don't have anything to really compare the ride to as the wagon was non-sport before. But even with a full load in the back, no real noticeable sagging.

Does that help?
__________________
wuzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
BMW4LIFE27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington, NY
Posts: 44
My Ride: 01 E46 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzilla View Post
Here's photos of my wagon with ZHP coupe springs and Koni Yellows:





From a few weeks ago (snow still on the ground). Car is manual tranny since the total vehicle weight might make a difference.

I don't have anything to really compare the ride to as the wagon was non-sport before. But even with a full load in the back, no real noticeable sagging.

Does that help?
Looks great! I was hoping you had the ZHP shock absorbers on there as well since I don't feel like going aftermarket since I will only track it maybe once or twice a year.
BMW4LIFE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use