E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #41
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CiJohn View Post
Well eventually I started listening to Dave Ramsey and realized that I was leveraging A LOT on the fact I get a steady paycheck and one speedbump and it could be deep trouble.
+1
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #42
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
You say you can afford a 135i or an e92 and you are making payments on an e46, that makes no sense. I mean with that logic, I can afford a new M6 but it really makes more sense to drive a car that is paid for.

And for those that say the most important thing is maintenance, I have to disagree. The MOST important thing is for you to stop being in debt. And please try to get out of the trap of having car payments your whole life.

EDIT: Of course your car will last another 8 years, but I somehow doubt you would still be interested in it then.
Myself, I definitely plan on having my 330i for another 8 years, but it is no longer my only car. It is nice having a backup, even though it is Japanese. I find the Subaru to be a very good compliment to the e46.

Last edited by franz; 03-19-2010 at 10:29 PM.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #43
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CiJohn View Post
Save up money and you will.
I don't remember asking you for financial advice.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #44
Bflyguy

My Ride: Soon to come M3
Use the money to pay off the car agree with ^^
Bflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #45
jsonli

My Ride: 04 330ci TiAg
minimum payment = mismanaged money.
jsonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #46
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat_ View Post
I don't remember asking you for financial advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #47
2004bmw330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci 3pedals!
All Really Great Advise!

Wow! All really great advise on here!

But I have decided to keep it. It is just the smarter choice for me, and like I said, "I love my car." So if I have my way I want to keep it till I die...

But I still wouldn't mind having one of those nice lil 135i's, but the truth of the matter is I can't afford it properly at this time...
The smart choice is for me to pay it off asap( 1year!) Then put my money in mods...and hopefully by the time I'm 20 my credit score will be great as well as my income and maybe upgrade?
But for now I think it is a good choice for me to stick with it...

I mean I have another option my mom did offer to take over my payments, and well she keeps the car for herself and I drive well a lil beater truck...
But I jut figure that hey I have a nice car right now and there is no way I can get another one even if it was another E46 anytime soon...
So by the time I'm 20 I'm sure I'll be settled in.

As far as the maintenance thing goes for my car that really isn't an issue with the whole mechanic thing my buddy and I are well pretty good at dealing with things ourselves! Only problem with the maintenance is well the $$$ for part! Oh and I would say that I'm pretty safe on my whole transmission failure...my car is a stick!

Last edited by 2004bmw330ci; 03-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
2004bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #48
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
u have an 03 or an 04 coupe?

good luck - after reading this thread i went back and looked at all my invoices - repair work - some under warranty some not -

i dumped a lot of money in the car - and some more stuff to come - pads/rotors, water pump, etc.

all said though - i'm happy

really if u can avoid modding at all - do it - once u get one mod u just can't stop.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #49
2004bmw330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci 3pedals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
u have an 03 or an 04 coupe?

good luck - after reading this thread i went back and looked at all my invoices - repair work - some under warranty some not -

i dumped a lot of money in the car - and some more stuff to come - pads/rotors, water pump, etc.

all said though - i'm happy

really if u can avoid modding at all - do it - once u get one mod u just can't stop.
I have a 2001 330ci Stick...I know my username is well misleading...
As far as the mods go already have:
1. M3 Front Bumper
2. Matte Black Exterior Trim
3. Black Headlight Trim
4. Dice Silverline
5. Red Needles

My maintenance:
1. Spark Plugs
2. Fuel Filter
3. Oil Change (need to do one again)

Things I need:
1.Tires- there bald!
2. Quoted $80.00-$150.00 (which is cheap) to get my DSC and Brake and ABS and Cruise Control working again...
3. Alignment-$80.00 4 wheel...
4. I need a new Fuel pump..

That's all I can think of for now...thank god!
2004bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #50
Mulatto325

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimminge46 View Post
Pay the car off. You should of paid cash to begin with.
Yea i saved for a year to get my 325 vert its not as new as i would have liked but really cant tell the difference from my 01 and an 06. When I'm finished with my lighting upgrades u wont b able to tell. I had enough money left to get my rims and stereo done. I should b done modding it in a year then i plan on keeping it for about five years. Then I'm gonna get the 328 hard top vert. Between my mods and some repairs i already put a little over 4000 and i only had the car a little over a month no regrets i love my BMW
Mulatto325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #51
be em dblyu

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iTAH View Post
E92 end of story lol
+1 lol
be em dblyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #52
mmurrayUSAF

My Ride: 2003 E46 330i
haha i have the same deal...im 19 and am lucky to have my car i still have 4 years left on my loan too. with i would have waited to buy the coupe though but i got my car for 11k and it only had 60k mile on it so it was a good deal. but i leave for the airforce in sept. so hell thats basically free money so im gonna be modding away.
mmurrayUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #53
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Go with the idea of a M3
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #54
justinb9073

My Ride: M3 clone (323ci)
well the most important part is keeping it the worst thing you could do is put 4k in it then the bank come get it. Im still paying on my 323ci but i still put 8k in it last year and im still able to make my payments. In my opinion its not about how much your car is worth on the market its what its worth to you. my car has over 200k miles on it so it probly isnt even worth 8k on the market but if some1 offered me 15,000 for it today i wouldnt take it.
justinb9073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #55
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
If you're already thinking about selling it or upgrading it then there's no reason to mod; usually you should only mod a car if you plan on keeping it and definitely don't expect any kind of returns on that, you mod for no other reason than yourself. It certainly can last you another 8 years and still look good, but you should focus on paying it off.

Think about how nice to be able to say that the car is yours and that you aren't making payments on it? If you're concerned about spending money on maintenance remember that it won't be cheaper to just buy a new car. Too many people would rather spend $30,000+ instead of paying a $1,000 repair bill, it doesn't make any sense.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #56
E46Msex

My Ride: 135i ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan325 View Post
Use the money for increased payments and maintenance
X 2... more logical and decent choice

Mod list:

-Weighted zhp shift knob
-Black grills
-M6 reps rims
E46Msex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #57
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004bmw330ci View Post
Ok so I love my E46 330ci Stick but, I still have about 4-5more years left to pay it off and will probably wind up being upside down if I continue to pay minimum payments... Like I said I love my E46 and the mileage isn't that High it's only at I think 80k.
But the question that has been running through my mind is well I want to mod it more but with all the mods I want to do to it will end up being about 4k! Ya! It is an expensive hobby which I understand but I'm trying to think

Would you drop 4k into a car that well is only worth 8-9k in this market?
As well if you would what would you do first...I figure I can pay it off within a year if I don't do anything to it mod wise...Or I can just well get rid of it and upgrade...to an E92 or well maybe one of those nice 135's...

I guess what I'm really thinking is will my E46 last me for another 8 years?

Thanks for you input guys!
OP,

I'm sure this has been said before but I will say this....

Maintenance before mods....do this for as long as you have your car and if you have the extra $$$ and want to mod then by all means, mod your ride To answer your last question, as long as you have your car well maintained and also do preventive maintenance then your bimmer should last well over 8 years...

I have my M3 which I will keep for quite a long time, so I will continue to mod my ride even while making payments. The key is are you planning to get rid of your 330 sometime in the future? If you plan to keep it for another 8 years or more then do the preventive maintenance and mods and enjoy your ride You are the one who has to be happy...just remember that Enjoy your car while you have it

One important note, keep all receipts for everything you do with your car. This includes mods you make. It is amazing how easy it is to sell your car if you have a well documented history of your vehicle at the time you sell your car. I just sold my '99 323i recently to a friend. It had over 145k on the odometer but it has been well maintained throughout it's life and I have also done preventive maintenance and mods. I managed to sell my car within a 24 hour period because the person who bought my car knew it's history. Keep that in mind. I cannot say enough how important keeping up on your maintenance is.
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #58
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
if your ready to keep the car for a while and get all the value you can out of it, then maybe modding would be ok.

but if you want to turn around and sell it next spring, i wouldnt do it.

if your already conserned about money, then either put it off or go very slow. just start some savings. i would hate to put that kind of money into a car, and then not be able to make payments.

and your gonna neeed money for repairs or whatever comes up.

its so tempting to sink money into cars like some members and other people do, but there is really no reason why we all need to do that.

live within your means and dont make stupid mistakes.

EDIT: This thread is over 4 months old, let it die!!!

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 07-23-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote