E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
slickware

My Ride: 323i
GROM Audio Aux install - thoughts and and opinion

I ordered my GROM audio aux input on Friday last week:

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...m-aux-bmw.html

If you're not familiar with GROM, they make aftermarket ipod, usb, and standard aux input adapters for vehicles.

On sale for $60, cheap shipping. Came Wednesday. Installed in under an hour.
Now I can play Pandora in my car!

Didn't take pictures of the install (did it at 9pm) but I wanted to share thoughts:

If you don't have an Ipod and don't need scrolling text or back/next capability from your steering wheel, AND you don't have a CD changer, AND you have the craptacular "Business CD", THIS MOD IS FOR YOU.
Plus, it's $60. How awesome is that?

What Works:
- All standard radio controls
- Double-tap "CD" button gets you into "aux" mode (previously CD-changer mode)
- Audio quality is better than a CD you burned from MP3 files
- Radio and CD tray functionality stays (unless you broke something during install
- Kit comes with everything you need, unless you don't own a phillips-head screwdriver.
- Instructions are fairly clear. Maybe slightly less clear than a Crutchfield install pamphlet, but nothing that made the install impossible.
- Users' manual troubleshooting tips cover enough "what if" scenarios for you to fix whatever you might have done wrong.

What doesn't work:
- no scrolling text display (which you wouldn't get from a non-ipod mp3 player anyway)
- no dash/wheel forward/next controls (which you wouldn't get from a non-ipod mp3 player anyway)

Caveats:
- if you buy this, there are 3 wires on your head unit that you have to "tap" in to, using supplied "t-tap" adapters. 2 of them are large enough gauge wire to accept this tap. The 3rd wire is far too small. Strip it first, and you won't run into any problems (like I did). I just nicked a bit of the wire with a pocketknife and it was fine.

Suggestions:
-This kit comes with plenty of cable to run the GROM box (which is a little smaller than a box of cigs/altoid tin) into the VERY empty space behind your glove compartment. Take the extra 10 minutes and run it back there. 6 screws! Don't be lazy. It won't fit behind your radio without some cutting, unless your dash is different than mine.
slickware is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
slickware

One addition From GROM:

" - If you are going to use iPhone/iPod in the future, there will be no need to buy another adapter.
You can just order iPod cable from here:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/acces..._charging.html.
It will enable control over iPod/iPhone from car stereo/steering wheel and charging from car battery."
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
I made an aux input cable for free out of an IDE cable and an old pair of headphones. I chose to do a male input cable since all players have a female output jack, and I don't want to fumble around with an additional cable to make a female input jack work.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
slickware

an IDE cable??

The GROX unit comes with a male/male cable, so no fiddling here either.

How did you hook up an IDE cable to your car's headunit??
Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
I used this DIY for inspiration:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1236293

But instead of adding a female input jack, I added a male input cable. I ran the cable out the sunglasses compartment above the ashtray, so I can stow the cable when not in use - or stow the cable+iPod when in use. No pics of the finished product, it's not very exciting to look at but it's clean. A little ghetto, but it works and is entirely reversible, save for the 3/8" hole I drilled in the back of the sunglass compartment.

nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
slickware

Wow Nathan that's WAY cleaner than the other DIY. I remember seeing that other one, and all the disclaimers, and thinking no way am I touching this. Nice job!
Mine's reversable as well, since the T-taps don't really ruin anything. A little electrical tape and it'll be good as new (or as good as a bmw with 150k on the clock!)
~A

Tags
audio, aux, grom, input, stereo