E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
rsadave

My Ride: e46 318i
hard brake pedal

Hey Guys,

Recently my brake pedal has become "hard" after i switch my car off. Normally if you keep pushing the pedal after the car is off the pedal becomes hard.
When I start the car the pedal is perfectly normal and brakes operate fine.
I dont think thats its the pads and rotors.
I have a feeling thats its something to do with a vacuum leak of some sorts.
Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks
Dave
rsadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
mkodama

The brake pedal becomes hard on just about every car when you turn it off and pump the brakes.

What car are you comparing this phenomenon to? When you turn off the engine of a car, the brake booster no longer assists the brake pedal, hence it becomes a lot harder.

Last edited by mkodama; 03-20-2010 at 03:00 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
rsadave

My Ride: e46 318i
Sorry what I was trying to say is that the pedal becomes hard without pumping the brake at all.
rsadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsadave View Post
Sorry what I was trying to say is that the pedal becomes hard without pumping the brake at all.
Oh... not sure about that, in that case, sorry. Best of luck finding a solution.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Sounds to me like a brake booster issue, or a bad booster check valve and finally a cut or tear in the vacuum line to the brake booster. You're loosing vacuum assist when you shut the car off, which indicates a vacuum leak. Chas.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
Old thread, hope I get some responses as i didn't want to post a new thread.

when I take my foot off the breaks I feel like a knock in the steering wheel as well. The only time I can replicate this is when I'm taking off from a light or stop sign. Does this have any thing to do with steering column or suspension, or is it breaks related. I just bought the car its 00 with 89k miles. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Take a look at the Front control arm bushings. With the front wheel in the air you may find there is considerable play side to side in the wheels.
There is a video posted here that shows the front wheel moving back when the driver stops.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...09&postcount=6

Also check your steering for play with the wheel off the ground.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
trmfreitas

My Ride: e46 316ti Compact
Did you solve this problem?

Hi

have you solved your problem with the break pedal?

Thank you
trmfreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
rlatif

My Ride: 318ci coupe m sport
Hi. I have a similar problem. The pedal becomes hard to press and I can't brake! Sooner or later I'll be in a tree! Taking it to the garage now but any suggestions? What it could be? Rotor? Brake calipers? Vacuum leak? Break fluid? Ahh this is crazy!
rlatif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
You probably have a bad brake booster. It is the round can that the master cylinder bolts up to. Also, Check your vacuum to the booster. Is the ENGINE not idling good? That is usually a sign of a vacuum leak and/or a bad booster.
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
rlatif

Thanks man! My engine idles normal no problems at all. Is this repair expensive?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
To avoid spending money unnecessarily, Either check it out yourself or get it looked at by someone you trust. A good used or rebuilt booster shouldn't be too expensive due to the popularity of the BMW.
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
rlatif

When I brake to a hault the car steers to the right someone said left side brake not working?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
rlatif

Oh ok. Thanks man! I really appreciate your help! I only bought the car last week!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlatif View Post
Hi. I have a similar problem. The pedal becomes hard to press and I can't brake! Sooner or later I'll be in a tree! Taking it to the garage now but any suggestions? What it could be? Rotor? Brake calipers? Vacuum leak? Break fluid? Ahh this is crazy!
Most probably bad brake booster or broken manifold to brake booster vacuum hose, a shop will be able to pinpoint this easy
brake booster replacement diy if you're handy with tools, brake bleeding and the booster is indeed the problem
Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #16
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
When I brake to a hault the car steers to the right someone said left side brake not working?
Check out your CAB's
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
rlatif

Nightmare 318ci Coupe on Breaking

There an oil and water leak which has caused oil and water to flow into the brake servo causing dodgy braking. Had to change brake vacuum pump, front discs and pads and now cleaning the brake servo from oil, may need replacement.

All from the oil leak resulting in poor braking. If not fixed you will end up in a tree.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
rlatif

Brake problem fixed

Just got my car back. Brakes working now. No problems. Had the brake servo replaced, brake vacuum pump, front discs and pads and bushes. Total just under 600 with all new parts and labour.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
rlatif

However my brake light in orange/yellow came as soon as I left the garage (couldn't go back they closed as soon as i picked it up i was running late will take it back tomorrow) and following the traction control light came on and is continuously on, both lights are and before all this my tyre pressure light in red came on but the tyres look fine but will fill with air tomorrow after going garage.

Anyone know why this could be? Brake fluid level shouldn't be low I just had all that work done? Maybe a faulty switch? Hydraulic pressure low on one of the sides of the brakes? Also felt the steering wheel take over my control for two seconds... Why could that be?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Just got my car back. Brakes working now. No problems. Had the brake servo replaced, brake vacuum pump, front discs and pads and bushes. Total just under 600 with all new parts and labour.
Please explain what a brake vacuum pump is?
I thought my car gets vacuum from the intake manifold for the brake booster.

PS--glad you can stop your car now

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote