E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Djehuti

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
Yet Another Strange Noise Thread

Yes, I am new here. And yes, I did my

Often, when I turn off the car and get out, a few seconds after I get out of the car (maybe 3-5 seconds after), I hear a short "tick/whirr" sound (sort of like the sound of the car unlocking, or sort of like a film camera's auto-wind sound, for old farts like me that remember what a film camera is) coming from the vicinity of the left rear wheel well.

It's been doing this for a long time (years). Since it sounds like something the car is doing on purpose, I never really worried about it much.

But what the heck is it? Anybody know off the top of their head? (If not, I'll try to get a recording of it.)
Djehuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Djehuti

I figured out what the noise is. It's the exhaust flap flipping back open after I shut the car off, since it had just been idling right before shutoff. (& at low RPMs the flap would close.)

I just did the golf tee mod. We'll see if it stops now. If it does, then I'm right.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Djehuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuti View Post
I figured out what the noise is. It's the exhaust flap flipping back open after I shut the car off, since it had just been idling right before shutoff. (& at low RPMs the flap would close.)

I just did the golf tee mod. We'll see if it stops now. If it does, then I'm right.
I was right.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
E46330Man

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Whats the gold tee mod??
E46330Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330Man View Post
Whats the gold tee mod??
The Golf Tee mod only applies to 330's, so you are in luck.
There is a valve that closes one of your exhaust ports at the end of the muffler. It only closes at idle, to make the car a bit quieter. You can locate the vacuum hose where it attaches to the valve, and disconnect the hose, and plug it with a golf tee, or some other object. It prevents the valve from closing, and gives you a bit louder exhaust note at idle.
But, on many older cars, the valve is stuck open, due to rust, dirt, etc. in fact, I am surprised that the OP's 2002 model year exhaust valve was still functioning properly. IIRC, it only closes at idle, and opens again when the car is shut off, so, if you want to see if yours is working, look for a closed valve inside one of your exhaust outlets while your car is idling. Also verify that it opens when the power is off.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Djehuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
But, on many older cars, the valve is stuck open, due to rust, dirt, etc. in fact, I am surprised that the OP's 2002 model year exhaust valve was still functioning properly.
Well, that post is more than 3 years old now.

(And my 1-owner 330xi was garage-kept and well-maintained, although I did trade it in on a new vehicle in Nov 2011 at about 95K miles.)
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuti View Post
Well, that post is more than 3 years old now.

(And my 1-owner 330xi was garage-kept and well-maintained, although I did trade it in on a new vehicle in Nov 2011 at about 95K miles.)
I hate when people dredge up old posts, and I really hate it when I fail to notice it!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
E46330Man

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Thanks for noticing it was old guys, I did too....I did a search and found this thread, hopefully the OP would respond and he did, Now if I didn't search and just made a post you would have had a problem too.

Thank you very much OP for responding, unfortunately the "Golf Tee Mod" would not apply to me because I have a modified my exhaust,
E46330Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330Man View Post
Thanks for noticing it was old guys, I did too....I did a search and found this thread, hopefully the OP would respond and he did, Now if I didn't search and just made a post you would have had a problem too.

Thank you very much OP for responding, unfortunately the "Golf Tee Mod" would not apply to me because I have a modified my exhaust,
I know. Everyone says to search, and yet, when you bring up a very old post, it can get confusing for those of us who don't always look at the date.
The fact that the OP is still on here is nothing short of a miracle.
So, you did the right thing by searching, but I guess maybe clueing people in to the fact that you are revising a very old thread may help.
Something like "I know this thread is six years old, but .....".
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Djehuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
The fact that the OP is still on here is nothing short of a miracle.
Well, it's not so much that I'm still on here (I'm not, really; I no longer own a BMW), but that I was (am) still subscribed to email notifications on the thread.