E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Proper Non-M Oil Cooler Mounting Location???

So I have decided to add an oil cooler to the car. I will be using the oil cooler ports on the S54 housing as the oil supply source. The big question of where to mount it comes about.

My current engine setup has a Setrab 925 as my air-to-water cooler for my ESS twinscrew as shown below:

So my logical choice to place the oil cooler would be on top of my current Setrab 925 right behind the kidney grills as such:

However, after speaking with James from Bimmerworld, he says that if I add an oil cooler in that location, then it will cause bigger problems. Reason being that it reduces the amount of air flow to the radiator which can lead to possibly overheating the engine.

However, this leads me to question how does the AA S/C kit have the supercharger cooler in front of the upper portion of the radiator along with an air-to-air intercooler in front of the bottom portion of the radiator.

Suggestions have been put forth saying to put it behind the radiator, but I cannot place it behind my radiator because I have the stock electric puller fan on the back of the radiator.

So to follow the suggestion from James at Bimmerworld, I am actually considering putting it right behind the Setrab 925 from the ESS Twinscrew and the engine's radiator. I know that this will dramatically reduce the efficiency of the oil cooling, but I have no other idea on where to mount the oil cooler. I am essentially sandwiching the oil cooler between the engine radiator and the air-to-water cooler. You can see a gap between the two in the picture below.

I was thinking of using the Setrab 920, Setrab 925, or the Fluidyne DB-30417 for the oil cooler core. Bimmerworld has suggested Setrab 925.

I'd like some more input from the track junkies and fanatics (especially from mrshellyy, PEI330Ci, and Mr.PaddleShift ) about where would be the right place to mount an oil cooler and what oil cooler to use? TIA.

Last edited by HighBoostin330; 09-01-2011 at 02:29 AM.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Mine's mounted behind the radiator and the oil temp runs between 225 and 230.

Here's a bottom shot of the bracket made to hold it.

As you can see, I don't run the stock fan, so there's plenty of room.

You can attach an e46M3 oil cooler on the bottom of the stock radiator. Only problem, it sits pretty low and you better be careful.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
cool thread.. i had wondered about this as i plan on going with an ESS supercharger some time in the future.. i wasn't sure what would happen as far as clearance goes between the s54 oil filter housing lines and the TS snout.. will keep an eye on this thread

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Are the M52, M54, and/or S54 oil housings interchangeable?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Somewhat. The S54 housing needs spacers for the p/s pump, a new bracket for the lower mounting point for the p/s pump, and a VANOS adaptor bolt.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote