E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
lowrider

My Ride: modified 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to lowrider
Gonna revive this old thread because I have a question. Looking at the TMS oil filter housing with the two 10-AN fittings installed in it, is it important to use one as a supply and the other as a return? Basically, is there a direction of flow?

I am gonna be pulling my oil filter housing to replace the gasket and might as well machine in some fittings for future oil cooler.

Picture courtesy of EAS
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
For reference I was getting to about 265f on my oil after only 25 minutes at NHMS (78f ambient). I didn't notice any loss in power but I wasn't really paying attention to power all that much. Although the non-m's shouldn't 'need it' if you plan on tracking the car regularly I believe it is a sound investment.
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #23
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
If you are going to run a cooler, does it really make a difference which way it flows?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
If you are going to run a cooler, does it really make a difference which way it flows?
My point is, I want to make sure it flows and not just sit inside the piping of the cooler haha

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 07-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
mrshelley

If you look at the pic posted and look at your stock housing, it'll be obvious how to machine it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
lowrider

Quote:
If you look at the pic posted and look at your stock housing, it'll be obvious how to machine it.
Well yes. Okay I think everyone is missing the point, so I'll post up pictures of the hydraulic circuit when I complete the install which should hopefully explain the flow of the system

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
MasterC17

Just ran three days at Watkins Glen, ambient temps from 85f-90f. Oil was running up to 300f pretty quickly while coolant was sitting around 94c. I couldn't run the car that hard and I was getting relatively low pressure, ended up baking the oil twice so I did two oil changes throughout the three days and still didn't run four sessions. Time for an oil cooler, pan baffle, and oil pump update...
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #28
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
I'd love if someone could tackle this. I get horrible performance out at the track due to my oil temps getting too high.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #29
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I'd love if someone could tackle this. I get horrible performance out at the track due to my oil temps getting too high.
I'm planning on buying a used M54 oil filter housing and having a local shop machine -10 AN fittings into it and still allowing for the stock temp sensor. If there's enough demand, I'll do a group buy of 10 of them. Just buy some lines and a Setrab (or whatever) cooler and this can be done without spending too much money. Nice thing about this is no extra banjo bolt, no alternator spacer, and no relocating the power steering pump.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #30
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
I'm definitely interested. How much $$$ do you think we're talking? I'd love to run long sessions and not feel like I'm driving a 318 by the end.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #31
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I'm definitely interested. How much $$$ do you think we're talking? I'd love to run long sessions and not feel like I'm driving a 318 by the end.
I am estimating $300-350 for a modified used housing and $500-$600 for a modified new housing. I'll have more definite estimates after I get the first one done.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #32
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Where will you tap the housing for the AN ports?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #33
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Where will you tap the housing for the AN ports?
You shall see I expect to make only one tap in the actual housing, and one in the Banjo bolt that goes in the housing.

The only problem with this route is going to be an inline thermostat. I could use the Mocal one from Pegausus but it is expensive. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative? We'll see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Would it be sensible to run the lines to shutoff valves mounted somewhere in the engine bay that is easily accessible and then just turn them on during track days as that's the only time you would really need it?

Last edited by MasterC17; 09-11-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #34
mrshelley

HRP sells a thermostat for $65. To me, that's pretty cheap. It has 1/2" NPT fittings, so you could adapt it to whatever you want or need.
Thermostat
They also have -10 to 1/2" NPT fittings for $3.75 each.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #35
MasterC17

Quote:
HRP sells a thermostat for $65. To me, that's pretty cheap. It has 1/2" NPT fittings, so you could adapt it to whatever you want or need.
Thermostat
They also have -10 to 1/2" NPT fittings for $3.75 each.
That's probably the route I will end up taking.

Having the oil filter housing machined late this week/early next week.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #36
MasterC17

OFH is coming in Monday, having it machined probably Tuesday.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #37
MasterC17

Ok, received oil filter housing today. I have a few questions.

1. Is it just me or does this look like a thermostat in the oil filter housing?

2. Anyone know what tool I need to get these plugs off?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
MasterC17

Received cooler, lines, and fittings today. I haven't actually had a chance to get the housing machined yet (crazy at work), but I will be doing it soon. Now just waiting on the inline thermostat and some adapters. Ended up going with -10 AN lines.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #39
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Gonna revive this old thread because I have a question. Looking at the TMS oil filter housing with the two 10-AN fittings installed in it, is it important to use one as a supply and the other as a return? Basically, is there a direction of flow?

I am gonna be pulling my oil filter housing to replace the gasket and might as well machine in some fittings for future oil cooler.

Does someone mind answering this, I don't want to screw it up. I'm guessing the old oil pressure port is supply and the fittings next to the old temperature sensor port is return?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #40
MasterC17

Late, I know, but I finally got down to the machine shop, will have the ofh back sometime next week. Already have the cooler and lines.