E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Craftyvtec

My Ride: 2004 M3 Race car
KONI STR.T do not work well with sport package

I have a 2000 328i with sport pkg and I installed Koni STR.T's on the front of the car and now with the M-Tech springs the car is sitting about 1.5-2 inches higher. I just wanted to let anyone know if they were going to use them. They work well but the ride height is a big problem. I have yet to install rears. Have a great day.
Craftyvtec is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
That's because you didn't seat the front strut all the way down into the collar (FWIW, I did it as well the first time I installed suspension on an E46, but it's an easy fix)

(or you got the wrong strut sent to you )
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Craftyvtec

I have worked on many cars before, it is not a install error. That is not the case. I noticed the problem before I installed them on the car. The Koni's are longer then the BMW struts..
Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
boyguan

My Ride: 02 330i
maybe they will settle. wait a week or so maybe
boyguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Dannyncc

My Ride: Aw m3
Send a message via ICQ to Dannyncc Send a message via AIM to Dannyncc Send a message via MSN to Dannyncc Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyncc Send a message via Skype™ to Dannyncc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
That's because you didn't seat the front strut all the way down into the collar (FWIW, I did it as well the first time I installed suspension on an E46, but it's an easy fix)

(or you got the wrong strut sent to you )
he is correct
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
xFalleNx330Ci

My Ride: '01 330Ci
I'm not doubting your knowledge of working on cars or anything man, but it definitely sounds like an install error. It happens. Just go back and check to make sure they're seated in the collar properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
OT is like a bunch of rabid horny monkeys that run around and rape other forums, any new monkeys, and then throw **** at eachother, take pics, and demand nudes.
xFalleNx330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Craftyvtec

Before anyone else says anything incorrect lets look at some quick facts.

Koni sells the Yellow's in two versions, one for sport package and one without sport package.
Koni sells only one version of the STR.T for all models.
BMW sport package struts (M-tech) are shorter then non-sport package struts.

I am thinking the one size fits all STR.T's are the same length as the non-sport pkg struts.
I have triple checked the install, I used to work as a Honda Factory Tech so its safe to say its not a install error.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
alpine325i

My Ride: Alpine 2001 325i
BUMP for Update? Was thinking of doing this setup... First was going to install Koni Str.t with stock sport springs and later replace with h&r sport springs. Is this a bad idea?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Yeah I need an update too sicne I bought the STRT for front and backs and will install them next weekend on a 2000 323ci - with sport suspension.
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
Craftyvtec

I am going to take a few pics to show you guys how my car sits. I have a gap at the front that is inch higher than the rear. Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftyvtec View Post
Before anyone else says anything incorrect lets look at some quick facts.

Koni sells the Yellow's in two versions, one for sport package and one without sport package.
Koni sells only one version of the STR.T for all models.
BMW sport package struts (M-tech) are shorter then non-sport package struts.

I am thinking the one size fits all STR.T's are the same length as the non-sport pkg struts.
I have triple checked the install, I used to work as a Honda Factory Tech so its safe to say its not a install error.
First of all did you even go back and confirm that it was NOT an installed error?

Second of all BMW uses a bit more shocks that you think. Sport pack struts are NOT M-tech
BMW has these struts for non-m E46.
-non sport struts
-sport struts
-M-Sport struts/M-Packet 2
-M-Performance/Club Sport/ZHP

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Craftyvtec

100% I installed these koni's correctly. I have been a mechanic for 16 years. I triple checked the install.
My car is 2000 328i with sport package, premium package, xenons, manual transmission. When I removed the original shock/struts each one said M-tech on them. I am using the original sport pkg springs. When I compared the strut on the koni to the BMW strut I noticed the length is greater on the koni. From the bottom of the strut to the base of the spring its about inch longer on the koni.

Blocked out: you said "Sport pack struts are NOT M-tech" so what are M-tech struts?
I am not the original owner so maybe my struts were changed by a previous owner?
I am going to get some pics of my car up today. .
Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftyvtec View Post
100% I installed these koni's correctly. I have been a mechanic for 16 years. I triple checked the install.
My car is 2000 328i with sport package, premium package, xenons, manual transmission. When I removed the original shock/struts each one said M-tech on them. I am using the original sport pkg springs. When I compared the strut on the koni to the BMW strut I noticed the length is greater on the koni. From the bottom of the strut to the base of the spring its about inch longer on the koni.

Blocked out: you said "Sport pack struts are NOT M-tech" so what are M-tech struts?
I am not the original owner so maybe my struts were changed by a previous owner?
I am going to get some pics of my car up today. .
M-tech struts came on M-tech offered cars.

-Non sport struts were offered on all E46 from 1998 to 2006 they didnt change at all and were the same, offered on all non-sport E46
-Sport struts were offered from 1999 onwards and were an option for sars equipped with Sport Package.(Sport Pack and M-Tech pack are different)
-M-Sport struts/M-Packet 2/M-tech (1 and 2) were an option on early M-Tech 1 packaged cars (2001 330i M-tech 1 or a 2001 330ci M-Tech 2) and later came standard on M-Tech 2 cars (2002 and up)
-M-Performance/Club Sport/ZHP these only became available from 2003 and upwards and were only optional when one ordered a ZHP package or M-Performance or Club Sport, depending on where you live.

In other countries BMW had SOOOO many more models then in US that you cant possibly imagine.

Here is a M-tech 1 330i it would have M-Tech struts
photo
This car below would have the same struts as its a 2002 M-Tech 2 330i
3616771_20
(this option was NEVER offered in US, US residence only saw M-Tech 2 option in 2003 for the sedan and in 2004 for coupe)

This car below would have ZHP/Club Sport/M-Performance struts, if it is infact a ZHP/Club Sport/M-Performance packaged car.

P4274263

At the end of the day it comes down to distinguishing ZHP/Club Sport/M-Performance from a M-Tech/M-Packet cars its hard for some one who has never seen one but its not that difficult.

Here is an example, ever seen a 325ci with factory M-Tech 2 pack?
8710ijd_20

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
take a picture where the shock goes into the knuckle. and then we can see how low it is sitting. it should be hanging out the bottom
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Craftyvtec

my pic

I took some pics earlier today. I will try and get a pic of strut tomorrow. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0361.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	380159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0362.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	380160  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
alpine325i

My Ride: Alpine 2001 325i
Stance looks good to me... looks equal to or slightly lower then stock sport ride height IMO
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
trig

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine325i View Post
Stance looks good to me... looks equal to or slightly lower then stock sport ride height IMO
This.

Are you sure your stock sports weren't just dead?
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
M-tech struts came on M-tech offered cars.

-Non sport struts were offered on all E46 from 1998 to 2006 they didnt change at all and were the same, offered on all non-sport E46
-Sport struts were offered from 1999 onwards and were an option for sars equipped with Sport Package.(Sport Pack and M-Tech pack are different)
-M-Sport struts/M-Packet 2/M-tech (1 and 2) were an option on early M-Tech 1 packaged cars (2001 330i M-tech 1 or a 2001 330ci M-Tech 2) and later came standard on M-Tech 2 cars (2002 and up)
-M-Performance/Club Sport/ZHP these only became available from 2003 and upwards and were only optional when one ordered a ZHP package or M-Performance or Club Sport, depending on where you live.

In other countries BMW had SOOOO many more models then in US that you cant possibly imagine.
Realoem only shows two strut/shock options: Standard and Sport. I do not think there is any difference between the shocks in a sport package car and a ZHP/M-tech car.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
I'm installing then this weekend also - but stance looks good to me
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote