E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Proper ettiquete to confirm a date?

Cliff notes:

Met a girl on friday - got number.

Called to ask her out - didn't answer left a message.

Texted me back saying she would love to go out and we worked out the details on Sunday via text message (Taking her out on Thursday for dinner)

I haven't said anything to her since Sunday. Should I text her on Wednesday to confirm? or Thursday morning? Something along the lines of "Hey hope you've had a good week! We still on for tomorrow/tonight?"

Good enough?

I am newly single and I am finding it interesting how women prefer to deal exclusively with text message and not phone calls lol
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
BMWDon

My Ride: Needs a cage
she doesn't want you to hear her kid or boyfriend in the background

what the hell happened to a good old phone call?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
HellFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDon View Post
she doesn't want you to hear her kid or boyfriend in the background

what the hell happened to a good old phone call?
I don't mind calling... I am just saying the girls around here seem to find talking on the phone awkward now and prefer texting...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
JJR4884

Usually what I do.... make the convo or text casual and leave the conversation open ended..

So end it with a "do you like sushi?" or "what kind of food do you prefer?"

Something like that.... when she responds back, just respond back to her right away "good I have a great spot to go to...." That will make it look like you have control of the date, not that you are running to her saying "ohh nooo what should we do, idk where to goooo"
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
wasp9166
Banned User

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
no, you dont text her, you call her........................your allready playing into her hand, never give a girl your nuts.....well, you know what i mean
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
HellFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Usually what I do.... make the convo or text casual and leave the conversation open ended..

Something like that.... when she responds back, just respond back to her right away "good I have a great spot to go to...." That will make it look like you have control of the date, not that you are running to her saying "ohh nooo what should we do, idk where to goooo"
She had already asked me on Sunday where we should go so I already have a spot picked.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
HellFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
no, you dont text her, you call her........................your allready playing into her hand, never give a girl your nuts.....well, you know what i mean
lol come on
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Sending a text Thursday around lunchtime should be fine just to confirm dinner plans.

As far as the reliance on texting in dating, I look at it as just one more nail in the coffin of interpersonal skills. RIP. It's a shield against awkwardness which shouldn't be necessary. I'm not a huge fan but must admit it comes in handy and is gaining acceptance. I text very sparingly.

The funny thing is that it's still very common to bump into women with "old fasioned" values who think a man should MAN UP and call if he wants a slice of her time. You could completley blow your shot if you misread the type of girl your dealing with. So it's still importatnt to keep the old skool skills sharp.

The best thing to do is play it by ear. If she doesn't mind texting then whatever, no big deal.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
HellFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
Sending a text Thursday around lunchtime should be fine just to confirm dinner plans.

As far as the reliance on texting in dating, I look at it as just one more nail in the coffin of interpersonal skills. RIP. It's a shield against awkwardness which shouldn't be necessary. I'm not a huge fan but must admit it comes in handy and is gaining acceptance. I text very sparingly.

The funny thing is that it's still very common to bump into women with "old fasioned" values who think a man should MAN UP and call if he wants a slice of her time. You could completley blow your shot if you misread the type of girl your dealing with. So it's still importatnt to keep the old skool skills sharp.

The best thing to do is play it by ear. If she doesn't mind texting then whatever, no big deal.
I mean just to clarify, I did call to ask her out and left a voicemail when she didn't answer... If this date goes well and I want to do something with her again, ill call her.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
send her a text to ask if you need to bring a condom or if she already has things covered.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
BMWDon

My Ride: Needs a cage
"when you gonna let me hit that?" text sounds about right in this situation if she gets mad, text her "it's just a joke"
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
rpl

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post
I haven't said anything to her since Sunday. Should I text her on Wednesday to confirm? or Thursday morning? Something along the lines of "Hey hope you've had a good week! We still on for tomorrow/tonight?"

Good enough?

Yes, that's fine.

Quote:
I don't mind calling... I am just saying the girls around here seem to find talking on the phone awkward now and prefer texting...
That's because texting is way less intrusive and far more convenient. It's stupid to play phone tag with someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post

No, don't do this. This is terrible advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post

I agree with all of this. However, the girls that I find that want a man to MAN UP by calling them usually suck at being cool girls and are uber lame.

As far as whether or not you want to know if it's a "date" or not, just play it by ear. See how she's dressed. See how she interacts with you over the course of the night. If you have a great time with her during dinner and feel like treating her, then by all means pay for dinner. However, you should NEVER feel obligated to pay for dinner. If you feel obligated, I doubt the relationship will last.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
HellFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl View Post
Yes, that's fine.

That's because texting is way less intrusive and far more convenient. It's stupid to play phone tag with someone.

No, don't do this. This is terrible advice.

Not so much.

I agree with all of this. However, the girls that I find that want a man to MAN UP by calling them usually suck at being cool girls and are uber lame.

As far as whether or not you want to know if it's a "date" or not, just play it by ear. See how she's dressed. See how she interacts with you over the course of the night. If you have a great time with her during dinner and feel like treating her, then by all means pay for dinner. However, you should NEVER feel obligated to pay for dinner. If you feel obligated, I doubt the relationship will last.
Solid. Thanks.

She knows its a date. I met her at a bar last weekend and I got her number after about 15-20 minutes.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
be like

"hey b!tch, when u pickin me up for dinna"

no don't actually do that

CALL her on wednesday. ask her how her week was and ask if she's still down to go out for dinner.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
Novare330

My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
"GIRRLLL do you wash your pants with windex?... cuz I can see myself in them"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
text her at lunch time and say:

"Hey, i'm at lunch right now and I was thinking of ordering asparagus....
but I won't if you're gonna blow me tonight...

LMK....

see ya tonight!"

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
lol @ some of these

OP, your plan sounds fine
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
Alayle

My Ride: Adidas on weekends
Why would you take her out to dinner?
Just walk into her kitchen ... you'll figure out if she's worth it from there
Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alayle View Post
Why would you take her out to dinner?
Just walk into her kitchen ... you'll figure out if she's worth it from there
WOW why did no one think of this. I am ashamed of myself
thumbs up to Alayle to save the day
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Hartge50
Kleemann Info Centre GmBH

My Ride: The Hertz Mobile
Quote:
That's not awkward. Around here we light up a bon fire and use smoke signals to confirm. Just like in the mayans....
Hartge50 is offline   Reply With Quote