E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
kit

My Ride: 2000 323i
Two 12' or two 10' sub????

Should I put two 12' sub or two 10' sub? Which will sound better in a Sedan? Also how should I place the sub?
kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
12 feet eh? Personally I prefer the sound of 10" subs better.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
kit

My Ride: 2000 323i
Is there a big difference between Kicker solo baric L7 and L5?
kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Bennyman

Location: Florida or Louisiana, and coming soon to an HOV lane near you.
My Ride: 03 330Ci. Jet.
yes. L7s kick more ass. 12"ers run at 750watt rms as opposed to L5's 500watt rms.

bennyman
Bennyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:15 AM   #5
SiLvaC32

My Ride: C32 AMG
Send a message via AIM to SiLvaC32
acutally..... if you don't have enough power in your amp. L5 will be a better choice. but if you have $ to burn. buy a good enough amp to power the L7. then it will kick more ass then L5.

in conclusion... L5s is almost the same as L7 soundwise

Jerry

SiLvaC32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:58 AM   #6
s4play
Banned

My Ride: ML320, 02 M3, 01 S2K
Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Jerry made a good point....powerful L7 subs require TONS of power thus the amp is going to cost you $$$$.

A better choice is a more efficient sub with a medium power amplifier. More weight savings too.

10" or 12" is a big difference, go 12" if possible since most BMW trunks are pretty tight.

late,
rick
s4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:01 PM   #7
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

My Ride: Breyton 3
Send a message via AIM to fuschnicken Send a message via MSN to fuschnicken
You only need one.

Old 05-01-2003, 05:53 PM   #8
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
I think it depends on the subs you are looking at. I am not familiar with solobarics, but my single 12 is louder, deeper, cleaner and even punchier than my 2 10". It must be the IDMAX, that thing RULES!!
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:59 AM   #9
e46Freak

My Ride: Coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to e46Freak
Quote:
Originally posted by Delirium
I think it depends on the subs you are looking at. I am not familiar with solobarics, but my single 12 is louder, deeper, cleaner and even punchier than my 2 10". It must be the IDMAX, that thing RULES!!

There is no possible way that one 12 can ever be louder than two 2. Add up the decibel man.

true ..12 are deeper but two 10 will give u tighter bass...so it depends on what kinda music u like
e46Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
Delirium
yo mama

Quote:
Originally posted by e46Freak

There is no possible way that one 12 can ever be louder than two 2. Add up the decibel man.

true ..12 are deeper but two 10 will give u tighter bass...so it depends on what kinda music u like
you are probably right, what do I know right?
Its not like I am the owner of the 2 sets of subs.

I would agree with you if you are talking about the same brand & model subs but 10 and 12 sizes. You dont even know what kind of subs my 10's were or the ratings/specs etc...
Old 05-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #11
e46Freak

My Ride: Coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to e46Freak
I don't need to know your sub spec man cuz there no way in hell one 12 is loader than two 10. Go ask your local audio dealer and educate yourself.
e46Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:13 PM   #12
napalm.one

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

You'll be suprised what a good 12" can do against two 10s of lesser quality [i.e. IDMAX12, Brahma 12, JLW7 12, ED12A.22, etc.]

BTW, a good 12" matched with a properly constructed vented enclosure can match the output of two 10s sealed.

Just because you have two woofers doesn't mean you'll double the output..db wise.
napalm.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:32 PM   #13
napalm.one

Quote:
I don't need to know your sub spec man cuz there no way in hell one 12 is loader than two 10. Go ask your local audio dealer and educate yourself.
Most audio dealers will tell you what you want to hear. Remember, the more you buy, the more they make! Seems like everything you know is based on what you've been told. BTW, specs matter, especially to those who understand them. It can tell you a lot about the speaker, and how it would function in a given type of enclosure. FYI, 12s can be as tight if not tighter than 10s. Its all about the install
Old 05-08-2003, 06:09 PM   #14
Delirium
yo mama

Quote:
Originally posted by napalm.one

Most audio dealers will tell you what you want to hear. Remember, the more you buy, the more they make! Seems like everything you know is based on what you've been told. BTW, specs matter, especially to those who understand them. It can tell you a lot about the speaker, and how it would function in a given type of enclosure. FYI, 12s can be as tight if not tighter than 10s. Its all about the install
I was not going to reply to E46freak because there is no point in auguing with someone who does not listen. I am speaking from experience not from second hand. I have owned 2 setups with 2 10" and 2 setups with one 12". And I had different results all the time. The box also plays a HUGE role in the sound & volume. There is no hard rule that 2 10"s will be louder than 1 12".
Although it is true that 2 10" are louder than one 12" because of cone area etc. you have to remember that you are talking about subs that are all about the same class. The ones Napalm mentions are the really Kick ass ones.

Napalm, I agree, there is too much mis-information, and sadly lots of it comes from dealers. I have had delers push Kenwood subs over ID because they werent ID dealers.. hmmm interesting.

Honestly my single IDMAX is louder, deeper & maybe punchier than my two 10" subs. The box is also slightly smaller. both were sealed boxes too. but of course the amps were different since the IDMAX is such a beast.

Specs are extremely important to look at, different subs are made for different reasons & different applications. My IDMAX is considered a high excursion SQ sub that can create lots of SPL. My 10's were entry level SQ subs. Dealers dont talk about SQ & SPL, they just want to make a sale NOW.

I was also wondering what the original poster meant by sound good. I would think that sounding good would mean you want to go with SQ, but Kicker Solobarics are SPL subs.

basically saying that 2 10" must be louder than 1 12" is like saying that my 184HP E46 MUST be faster than a 120HP lotus elise.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #15
Delirium
yo mama

oh yeah you also get what you pay for.

Just thinking about it, my single 12" IDMAX cost $450.
That is enough to buy 5-6 of my old 10" subs at about $80 a piece. It is worth it tho.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:33 PM   #16
napalm.one

Quote:
Originally posted by Delirium
oh yeah you also get what you pay for.

Just thinking about it, my single 12" IDMAX cost $450.
That is enough to buy 5-6 of my old 10" subs at about $80 a piece. It is worth it tho.
Yes, I totally agree I personally have two eDesigns 12A.22 and it sounds amazing. BTW, do you have the v2 or v3?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #17
Delirium
yo mama

Quote:
Originally posted by napalm.one

Yes, I totally agree I personally have two eDesigns 12A.22 and it sounds amazing. BTW, do you have the v2 or v3?
I have the v3. Its amazing as well. I never thought $450 could make such a difference, but hearing is believing. The only difference people say is that the v3 is servicable on site & that it requires less air space.

PS nice sub!