E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
Angry Mechanic tore up my car.

I just got my car back from a mechanic, and am not happy to say the least.
When i started it up to leave, it idled rough and stalled... Disconnected the MAF and it ran fine. So, ok ill replace that tomorrow. Drove about 4 miles down the road and the coolant light comes on...OK ill top it off tomorrow...1/4 mile later the temp is in the red, so i pulled into the Publix with a ploom of steam.
Upon opening the hood, i found my airbox was not connected, and there was a random part on my headlight. I put coolant in and tried to start it...DEAD!!! So i left it there for the night and will try to have them tow it back to the shop. And, i looked up the part i found by the # and it is a "protection cap", has something to do with the belt driven water pump/alternator.
Sorry for the long, unorganized thread but i had to vent. thanks for listening, lol.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Yeah that sucks, your mechanic sucks. Best thing you can do is request someone competent look at it at the same shop. Then only after they do the work, demand that they do it for free.

But your saying you looked under the hood, disconnected the MAF, and didn't notice the air box was not connected?

How did you manage that?

If your heat gauge ever goes over 180 degrees (halfway line) either your thermostat just went bad or you have serious coolant problems. (aka stop driving immediately or damage your engine forever.)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
harsh

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
Yeah that sucks, your mechanic sucks. Best thing you can do is request someone competent look at it at the same shop. Then only after they do the work, demand that they do it for free.

But your saying you looked under the hood, disconnected the MAF, and didn't notice the air box was not connected?

How did you manage that?

If your heat gauge ever goes over 180 degrees (halfway line) either your thermostat just went bad or you have serious coolant problems. (aka stop driving immediately or damage your engine forever.)
it was 9 at night when i disconnected the MAF real quick(and picked it up), then shut the hood. and the temp. spiked quick and dropped all the fluid.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
bmw330e46

My Ride: this earth
Your mechanic sucks. You have to slain him

- Tommy
bmw330e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
chudzikb

My Ride: 04 330ci
I am with the above poster, if you did not stop as the needle went to red, you may have doomed your motor. The one hard and fast rule of E46's should be if you are starting to overheat, pull off the road and TOW it home/someplace to get it fixed. It does not just overheat, it warps the head and pulls the studs from the block causing irreprable harm. I surely hope you did not do that...
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
ALE46

My Ride: E36 325i & E46 318i
Doesn't the E46 have a safety feature and turn off the engine in such event? I know my friend's 10+ year old Audi has that. The ECU stalled the car when it reached critical temp. hence saving the engine from warped head.
ALE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Not cool at all. I hope that wasn't the lead mechanic at the shop you took your car to. Get the lead mechanic to look over your car carefully. The shop needs to make that right. Good luck.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
never drive away from any shop without popping hood and inspecting everything!!!!

i found a few things on my honda one time, so i go in the shop and say hey, who worked on this? guy goes i did....................i bring him out, i says you wana tighten that bolt? he goes, oh i didnt work on this side i said ok, brought him over to other side..................you wana tighten that one then? morons

needless to say, its the last time anyone worked on any of my cars

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
01330cisp

My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
Diy ftw
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
rares

My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
gosh man... sorry to hear that... hope you get your money back or they fix it for free... although, i wouldn't want them touching my car after they did that stuff...good luck..
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALE46 View Post
Doesn't the E46 have a safety feature and turn off the engine in such event? I know my friend's 10+ year old Audi has that. The ECU stalled the car when it reached critical temp. hence saving the engine from warped head.
Nope.

I've read (but have not personally experienced) that the red square lights up when the needle reaches the red. Seems like it SHOULD beep or something... the gauge is electronically controlled after all.

But, nope, you just have to pay attention to it and shut it off if it starts to get hot.
I don't need evidence, I just know.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
WOWWWWW, dude destroy that mechanic.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Yikes go back and explain what happend!!! Before everyone jumps on the poor mech there are alot of possibilities... I have had customers decline repair and show up to pick up the car. Well no one told the Mechanic that they were there to pick up the car. I have had stuff aprat and the car leave because of comunication issues. Everything is not always cut and sry. Go back see what happend and goe from there

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
DBLAZE

My Ride: is Fern Green!
Send a message via AIM to DBLAZE
That's a shame since these cars aren't actually difficult to work on.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Fern Green 323ci - SOLD
DBLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
sonspot

My Ride: 330I Spot/Prem/cold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBell330 View Post
it was 9 at night when i disconnected the MAF real quick(and picked it up), then shut the hood. and the temp. spiked quick and dropped all the fluid.
agree with "jbeurotech", not sure why you would replace the MAF, just because? and without even cleaning it, be clear please.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
1.kill mechanic
2.never take it to a shop DIY FTW
3. if anyone is under your hood make sure to look around first.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
There are always two sides to every story.... Alot of this story does not make sense!! What was the car brought to the shop for ext. Everyone is always quick to blame the shop but often there is alot more to the storie

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Sorry to hear about that man, but like others have said, give the mechanic the benefit of the doubt before you completely rip him a new one (even though, I agree, stuff like this should not happen).

The random part on the headlight just sounds like one of the little plastic dust caps on the belt pulleys . Careless of the tech to neglect to reinstall it, but luckily for you, no major harm done to your car with it removed.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Good Lord, I have never heard of a worse mechanic. Sorry to hear about that. Make sure you get him to pay for everything and then some.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote